ZIMBABWE: Elephant & Leopard In Zimbabwe - Cancellation Hunt Report

Yea for sure. Big bore animals are in the salt. The rest of the hunt report will be to discuss the leopards and our approach and strategy to take one.

Yea for sure. Big bore animals are in the salt. The rest of the hunt report will be to discuss the leopards and our approach and strategy to take one.
Very interested in your discussion on the leopards and strategies. Off next week to Namibia for cancellation leopard hunt myself.

Ok, ok, ok...no patience around here. Remind me not to get in a leopard blind with y'all! Oh wait...it's not leopard time yet. Still working baits.

Eland day

We were actually looking for a zebra bait when the PH handed me the 416 Rigby and said come with me now! We walked quickly away from the truck and he turned and said there is a HUGE eland in front of us. We tracked a bit and saw this eland was joining a small group of eland. We got them sorted out in the brush in front of us and the PH put me on the sticks. He said get ready when it comes through that small opening in the bush. When he called the shot, I let it go and there was a loud hit from the bullet and the eland took off. These Northfork CPS make a loud report upon impact. It’s quite noticeable. As we went forward, there was hardly any blood. I had a funny feeling in my stomach and wondered what had happened. The shot felt good but we were in heavy brush. As it turns out, the bullet had hit a small stick before hitting the eland (possibly as the bullet tumbled). Now we had a real question of where had the bullet actually hit?

What followed was one of those amazing tracker stories that many of us have experienced. Somehow, the tracker stayed on the right track among several eland with no blood to work with. Did I mention it was middle of the day in a freaking oven?!? After over 1 mile, we found a few scattered drops of blood but nothing significant. I kept thinking where did I hit this eland? I was holding on the shoulder at about 60-70 yards and the shot felt good but we had almost no blood trail. At this point the eland pulled away from the group and we started to smile a little more. After close to another mile with a few scattered drops and smears on the grass, the tracker pointed ahead. I thought no way can that be eland horns sticking up above the grass. They were just too long to be an eland bull but in just a few seconds, the eland exploded out of the grass about 30-40 yards in front of us. The PH yelled that’s him! I aimed for the base of the tail and there was an audible crack like a baseball hit hard. The momentum carried the bull forward a few yards and he collapsed. The bullet hit 1 inch from the root of the tail and ranged over 4 feet forward through the intestines and rumen and lodged against the skin on the off side shoulder. The PH started laughing and said that rifle is the Rigby hand brake!

When we walked up to it the PH said yes man, look at this eland! Both PH’s said it was the largest Livingstone eland they had seen in 60 years of guiding between them. I’m not big on measuring animals but to give respect to this madala eland…he’s 41 inches long and would score in the top 25 SCI. I have a photo of the #1 eland and my eland’s horn length might actually be longer than the #1 eland but that tank had more mass. The PH said no one will believe this and they will think it’s photoshopped….or say how did that Lord Derby eland get into Zim! It’s the eland of a lifetime for sure. I’m very humbled to have taken it.

View attachment 561628
Wow! A very, very nice elephant, a monster eland and a HUGE duiker to boot! You must have had your lucky rabbits foot with ya for this hunt!

Second on dealing with Mark, a true gentleman and will get you exactly what you need at a very FAIR price
3rd on Mark. Great prices and service. Always a better deal than the big guys.

What an Eland! Congrats, loving the write up. Had the joy of my first safari in 2022, hunted with Bennie at his lodge in RSA.

Looking forward to more!

Cool that you hunted at Bennie's lodge. He's there now...great guy...great family...great PH.

Hunting will not be the same for you after this trip. Extraordinary trip (y):cool:

Posting some videos as requested...took me a min to figure out how to do that.

I still prefer the Swift A-frame or Barnes TSX for softs but I haven't tried the North Fork softs yet. My search for a good solid is over though. I've found the one I like in the CPS. They also feed like butter in my .416 Rigby. They don't need a hydro type nose.
The North Fork softs a just as good as the CPS's. I have typed it on here many time's, and told anyone who will listen, the north fork will have the lowest standard deviation with less powder and the same velocity as other bullet's, thus being more accurate than the other's. I have experienced the same one and done load development in several different guns using NF's. One 416 rem, shot a one hole group with 370 Cps's with the first load I tried. Try some North Fork softs and you won't be disappointed, congrats on a great safari!!

Great hunt write up and photos.

I need to try some NF softs. Have you tried any of their lion bullets?

Very interested in your discussion on the leopards and strategies. Off next week to Namibia for cancellation leopard hunt myself.
I will share some strategies and tips as we proceed...video and photos too.

Wow, you had a blessed hunt! I guess the red gods were smiling. Well done, Incredible hunt. Can’t wait for more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PolkKnives

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.