Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
DSC, NRA, SCI
Hunted
USA - TX, CO, GA, ID. Africa - Zimbabwe, Zambia, and South Africa (Limpopo and EC)
Last edited by a moderator:
Zim parks has approved tagged Bull hunting outside the parks. It was perfectly legal.

I remember a big debate where nobody seemed to have a problem shooting collared Lions.

Regardless of which side of the collar issue a person may come down on, given the shitstorm surrounding this bull, it seems a little disingenuous to post this as something of a promo piece without any disclosure of the relevant facts.
This is a perfect opportunity for Martin to address a large number of people who are not inherently hostile and explain the circumstances surrounding this bull. Which really should have been done in the first place.
Short of that, well...
7BDD177D-0EF8-448A-85BA-BEFCEEF6814C.png

"Let me put things to bed be BEFORE the majority of you run with speculation from Facebook and heresay.
The bull was shot in Naivasha communal land adjacent to Gonerezhou, approx. 5km into the communal area
No one was aware of the collared elephant in the concession.
No one and I repeat no one reported the elephant to the camp and or the PH and or the operator, in fact the management of FZS who run the park knew the bull had been active in the hunting area for over a month by its GPS collar and refrained or decided not to inform the hunting company despite having comms daily with the safari operator and having a national parks ranger with a radio from their unit on the vehicle.
Elephant was 81/83
Have a good day and stay off Facebook."

MP

1 March 2018
Zimbabwe Professional Hunters and Guides Association (ZPHGA) Mukuvisi Woodlands
Hillside Rd / Glenara Ave South
Harare
Tel : +263 4 779792
Internal statement to members, associations and associated conservation groups on shooting of collared elephant in Naivasha C.A.M.P.F.I.R.E. area:
Background: For those members not familiar with the Gonarezhou region - Naivasha is a community conservancy of just over 100 000 acres that shares approximately 60km of boundary with Gonarezhou National Park.
Events as recounted to us through interviews and statements: The PH, Martin Pieters, a ZPHGA member, was conducting a 14 day elephant safari in the Naivasha. He was accompanied by his Russian client, a non-hunting observer, two trackers, a Gonarezhou Parks and Wildlife Ranger and a Chiredzi Rural District Council representative.
He was not informed of any collared elephant in the communal area although this bull had been mostly resident in the area since the 20th February this year.
On the 6th day of the safari, 7th March 2018, the tracks of this elephant were found and followed. The elephant was eventually located, approximately 5km from the park boundary. Due to thick bush at this time of year, the bull was not visible in it’s entirety. The PH was, however, able to ascertain that the elephant was carrying substantial ivory, and instructed the client to shoot. It was only after approaching the elephant on the ground that the collar was noticed. It was removed and returned to the Mbalahuta Parks offices and a full statement made to the Senior Wildlife Officer.
Current finding: After interviewing the PH in charge of the safari and communications with authorities from Gonarezhou, it is unfortunate that neither the PH, Ranger or RDC representative where notified by the Authorities that the collored bull had been in the hunting area since the 20th of February, nor had any of them attempted to establish if a bull of significance was in or near the hunting area. The EXCO concludes that, while a tragedy, based on information provided by the PH, the Gonarezhou ranger and the authorities in Gonarezhou this was a genuine mistake due to a lack of communication.
Comment: The population of elephants in Gonarezhou has steadily increased to 11000(2 elephants/ km2) due to the incredible conservation efforts by the successful partnership between Zimbabwe Parks and Wildlife Management Authority and Frankfurt Zoological Society.
Conservation success stories as in the case of Gonarezhou and other National Parks in Zimbabwe, have the inevitable consequence of an increased overflow of key species to adjacent areas. We urge our members to communicate with local and appropriate authorities on movements of any animals of significance, and not assume you will be notified.
James Rosenfels
Zimbabwe Professional Hunters and Guides Association

Frankfurt Zoological Society

Through a long-standing, successful partnership between the Zimbabwe Parks and Wildlife Management Authority and the Frankfurt Zoological Society, the elephant population in Gonarezhou has been well protected. With an estimated 11 000 elephants, at a density of more than 2 elephants/km2, Gonarezhou has one of the highest densities of elephants on the continent. As part of FZS’s support to ZPWMA, an elephant collaring exercise was carried out in 2009, and again in 2016 (Additional studies were also carried out by local research institutions). The aim of placing satellite collars on elephants in Gonarezhou, close to the Park boundaries, was primarily to achieve a better understanding of their movements, and the degree to which elephants are crossing out of the Park into the wider ecosystem - both to determine options for linkages to other protected areas within the Greater Limpopo Transfrontier Conservation Area as well as to pinpoint potential areas of conflict between elephants and human settlements outside the Park.

Protecting elephants and their habitats is at the core of our conservation efforts, and the data gathered through the collaring exercise feeds directly into this process.

There are no fences that prevents these animals from wandering outside the Park, and with the growing population of elephant inside Gonarezhou it is inevitable, and for the sake of conservation on a wider scale, even desirable, for elephants and other animals to move across the Park’s boundaries. One of these collared bulls were shot on a legal hunt in Naivasha in the first week of March. Naivasha is an area directly adjacent to Gonarezhou that has been set aside for wildlife and safari hunting by local communities. There is no law that protects a collared animal from being hunted in Zimbabwe, but there is general acceptance that the ethical position is that a hunter will avoid shooting an animal with a collar.

The data from this bull has been captured and will help us with our ongoing efforts to find solutions, together with our local and international partners, to conservation questions in a world where the challenges to find space for wildlife and their habitats are becoming ever more complicated.

Last edited:
@IdaRam, the hunt was legal and ethical! I do not have to defend myself against fake social media outbursts, perhaps you should go sit at the coffee shop and read Facebook!
The only shit storm came from anti hunters and biased uneducated emotional attacks on myself. I was suspended from ZPHGA and in turn decided to terminate my membership based on their unfortunate decision to side with pressure from antis.

ZIMPARKS Defends Russian Who Shot An Elephant
April 2, 2018

The Zimbabwe Parks and Wildlife Management Authority has said the killing of a collared bull elephant by a Russian trophy hunter outside Gonarezhou National Park was legal as there is no law that prohibits the hunting of animals under research.
The elephant which was wearing a research tag was shot dead by a Russian trophy hunter on March 7 about 5km outside the Gonarezhou National Park.

In an yesterday, ZimParks spokesperson, Mr Tinashe Farawo, said the hunting was above board.
“That elephant was legally hunted; everything which was done was above board. Yes, it was collared. After the harvesting of the elephant, the collar was returned to the researcher. It’s important for people to understand that we don’t have a law that protects collared animals from being harvested or hunted,” said Mr Farawo.

He said the hunters did not see the collar and mistakenly hunted down the elephant.
“It’s also important to note that when people are harvesting or hunting these elephants it’s difficult to see the collar. By the way it was not harvested in the park. We don’t allow hunting in the park. It was hunted in the safari area and it’s allowed in line with international regulations the CITES and the like,” he said.

Mr Farawo said various stakeholders have been pushing for a law that protects the iconic animals
“Some of the issues that stakeholders are pushing that the researcher or the person monitoring the animal must also communicate with the hunters so that at least these animals are protected. There is no law. Stakeholders are saying let’s have a law,” he said.
“As it is now, harvesting a collared animal is legal in Zimbabwe. Nothing amiss about what happened in Masvingo”.

International media reports say while it is not illegal to shoot animals wearing tags, it is considered unethical. It is reported that the hunters claimed not to have noticed the tag until after the animal was dead.The bull elephant had been tagged inside the national park but had wandered outside the unfenced boundary into an area known as the Naivasha Community Conservancy, which has been set aside for hunting by locals.

Reports say Martin Pieters, ex-chairman of the Zimbabwe Professional Hunters and Guides Association, was leading a legal 14-day excursion near Gonarezhou when the killing happened. Pieters and his Russian client, who has not been named, were with his unarmed friend, two trackers, a parks ranger and a local council representative when they picked up the elephant’s tracks on day six of the expedition.The group began tracking the animal and found it in thick bush, meaning they were not able to see the whole body of the elephant.

Pieters, after seeing the elephant’s large tusks, ordered his client to shoot, the Zimbabwe Professional Hunter and Guides Association says.

The bull had been in the area since around February 20. Pieters had not been made aware of this fact, reports say.

Asked by Netwerk 24 about the loss of the elephant, Pieters said: “It does not matter, the hunt was completely legal.’’

The tag belongs to the Frankfurt Zoological Society which collared elephants in the park in 2009 and again in 2016. It is not clear precisely when this male was collared.The killing of the giant bull follows the killing of Cecil the lion by hunter, Walter Palmer in Zimbabwe in July 2015. The lion was also tagged by researchers. – state media

https://www.zimeye.net/2018/04/02/zimparks-defends-russian-who-shot-an-elephant/

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-04-13 at 8.24.47 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-04-13 at 8.24.47 AM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 348
  • Screen Shot 2018-04-13 at 8.24.49 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-04-13 at 8.24.49 AM.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 282
  • Screen Shot 2018-04-13 at 8.24.51 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-04-13 at 8.24.51 AM.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 284
  • Screen Shot 2018-04-13 at 8.24.54 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-04-13 at 8.24.54 AM.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 282
  • Screen Shot 2018-04-13 at 8.24.41 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-04-13 at 8.24.41 AM.png
    743.9 KB · Views: 297
Last edited by a moderator:
The researchers around here know and expect animals to be hunted.
It is a fact of the animals life cycle; they will leave parks and move into open hunting areas.
The fact a researcher chooses to collar a large animal is a selective choice. Just like mine, if I see it in a legal hunting area. Shoot it or don't, its up to you.

Zim parks has approved tagged Bull hunting outside the parks. It was perfectly legal.

I remember a big debate where nobody seemed to have a problem shooting collared Lions.
I see Martins problems continue after that bad report on a problem with a hunter on an elephant hunt in Namibia that was posted here. AI once said I think Martin needs to do some PR work on his reputation, at least here on this forum. Heck of a bull by the way.

Last edited:
Collar or not, that is an impressive Bull!

What a shame guy does a legal hunt and even other hunters act like he did something wrong. Sad when someone decides to name or collar some animal it now means we should treat that animal like it is special.

I guess we should be glad the anti's waste there money and not decide to name or collar more animals. If they want them saved they may look at getting bullet proof clothing to dress all there special animals in instead.

Just another step being divided because some think it is wrong when it is totally legal. Funny raised animal if there a certain kind are bad now a so called wild animal is wrong to. Then we must ask why and all comes down to trying to make people happy who will never be as long as any animal gets killed.

@IdaRam, the hunt was legal and ethical! I do not have to defend myself against fake social media outbursts, perhaps you should go sit at the coffee shop and read Facebook!
The only shit storm came from anti hunters and biased uneducated emotional attacks on myself. I was suspended from ZPHGA and in turn decided to terminate my membership based on their unfortunate decision to side with pressure from antis.

https://www.zimeye.net/2018/04/02/zimparks-defends-russian-who-shot-an-elephant/
I never said the hunt was illegal or unethical. My issue is not with the shooting of a collared elephant. I have a similar opinion to what @BRICKBURN posted above.
What I question is your judgement. You had an opportunity to to say, “hey folks, here is a quick hunt report on the giant tusker that caused such a ruckus a couple months back. These are the facts and circumstances of the hunt.”
The folks booking expensive hunts to Africa rely on the honesty and candor of the outfitters and PH’s they book with. Don’t you think the circumstances surrounding this elephant are relevant to this report?
You’ve chosen to use what turned out to be a controversial hunt and ultimately got you suspended from ZPHGA as a promo piece without disclosing all the facts. That’s my issue. And I don’t believe it was ZPHGA bowing to pressure from anti hunting groups.
You and I both know it was not just anti hunters who took issue with the hunting of this bull. That statement is also not true and correct. Plenty of hunters took issue with this as well.
Like it or not, professionals are held to a higher standard of conduct, honesty and full disclosure. You don’t want the scrutiny, don’t use hunts surrounded in controversy to promote your business without disclosing all the facts.
You blew it here, you could have turned this into a net positive for yourself and your business, and in turn elephant hunting in general.
And I’m not on Facebook and I don’t feequent coffee shops.

There is some real wisdom in the above post by @IdaRam and I hope it can be received in the spirit with which I think it was offered.

Tim

I agree with @IdaRam . It is a matter of disclosure. I am not against hunting an animal with a collar. Just be up front with everyone. If this had been an American (Western) client instead of a Russian client, the media meltdown would have been many times worse. If it was an American hunter, would he be in the same situation as Dr. Palmer? Would he loose his business and have people protesting in front of his house and business. Would his employees loose their jobs due to the hunt. This is the hunters decision. If he wants to shoot a collard elephant that is fine, he just needs to have all the information, to be able to make an informed decision, to be able to deal with the consequences. This is a great looking elephant and the buff are good too. Congratulations to you and the hunter. As IdaRam mentioned, just be open and up front and say, this is the massive bull we took last month. There was some controversy around it but the hunter was cleared. Here are the details. If you don't want to deal with any negatives, then don't go posting the photos of the elephant in the thread. Show a 30-45 pounder that doesn't cause any controversy.

This is the second collared elephant your clients have taken as I recall. I don't know all the reason's ZPHGA decided to take the action that they took, but there is evidently a concern in their minds to suspend you for taking the elephant. Legal or not.

Also the fact that the following thread was only a year ago may give some of us consternation. As I recall, your response was not very forthcoming or equitable to your client.

https://www.africahunting.com/threads/namibia-martin-pieters-safaris-a-troubling-experience.34601/

I would venture to say that we all want to obey the laws and do the right thing when we hunt in a foreign country. If there are any questions or issues, let your clients and prospective clients know. Be upfront! Full disclosure! This will help keep your name in the pantheon of other wonderful and outstanding outfitters that post here.

All the best and happy hunting.

A different take:

.............. And I don’t believe it was ZPHGA bowing to pressure from anti hunting groups.
You and I both know it was not just anti hunters who took issue with the hunting of this bull. ..............

What is the motivation of the ZPHGA in this matter?
It truly confuses me. Suspension based on Perception/Reputation Management?

What is/are the legitimate issue(s) with the hunting of this bull? Perhaps I am being obtuse but, nothing is immediately evident to me.

From the social media side:
We already fed Palmer to the Wolves (SCI jumped right in).

Since the client is (reportedly) Russian I doubt he's an SCI member. Problem solved, he can't be booted.
Not a US citizen, so the nuts can't show up at his business and make his life difficult.

So, who's left?

Ethics:

Current finding: After interviewing the PH in charge of the safari and communications with authorities from Gonarezhou, it is unfortunate that neither the PH, Ranger or RDC representative were notified by the Authorities that the collored bull had been in the hunting area since the 20th of February, nor had any of them attempted to establish if a bull of significance was in or near the hunting area. The EXCO concludes that, while a tragedy, based on information provided by the PH, the Gonarezhou ranger and the authorities in Gonarezhou this was a genuine mistake due to a lack of communication.

Comment: ...............
Conservation success stories as in the case of Gonarezhou and other National Parks in Zimbabwe, have the inevitable consequence of an increased overflow of key species to adjacent areas. We urge our members to communicate with local and appropriate authorities on movements of any animals of significance, and not assume you will be notified.
James Rosenfels
Zimbabwe Professional Hunters and Guides Association

So, reading between the lines here.
Does the fact that this "Association" is apparently secretly colluding to restrict hunters from obtaining the best trophies possible based on a collar being placed on an animal by some researcher bother anyone?

"Iconic", "Animal of Significance" ,"Bull of significance" designations can't be hunted?? "Should have communicated its location"?!?

Sounds like an APNR hunt in South Africa -
You can hunt anything up to 30lbs. WITHOUT THE DISCLOSURE.
Why do you go on a wild hunt with a ZPHGA member?
Ethics???

Perhaps the researchers need to be restricted from collaring these large bulls. It would stop all the alleged "unethical" harvest of these bulls in one fell swoop.

I know I tend to look at things differently then most. But now a sponsor on this site who has hunted decades in zim has to defend himself on why he did not come on here defend some bs on a totally legal hunt.

Why should he come here and feed the bs story and give it more legs to grow. The bs story came and went and only even stayed around as long as it did because some hunters join in on the bashing before the whole story was even out. If he would have said a word about it from the start then someone would of had a problem with that to.

Why not let the story go away and let him use a totally legal hunt as he wants to help or hurt on the hunts he sells. I know his outfit is liked and hated by some. Time to look past any dislikes of a person and defend hunting based on the hunt not the person doing the hunt. Legal hunt that got a lot of bs thrown at it and once again we feed right into attacking the hunting party.

I was really hoping as a group we would have learned after the lion bs but 2 years later we kill each other over lies and bs before the whole truth came out. Then we want to keep a story going for no reason I can see because it will not benefit any hunter.

^^^^^^^^
I agree. The thing that is also bothersome, are those that like to stir the shit pot over these types of things.

If you think that asking AH Sponsor Outfitters to be upfront, honest and forthright, AND asking them to contribute some more detail, AND giving them an opportunity to present the facts (re-read my first post) is stirring the shit, I don't know what to tell you bud.
After getting the direct reply from MP that I did, basically a temper tantrum, you actually blame me for replying? Go fly a kite Brent.

If you think that asking AH Sponsor Outfitters to be upfront, honest and forthright, AND asking them to contribute some more detail, AND giving them an opportunity to present the facts (re-read my first post) is stirring the shit, I don't know what to tell you bud.
After getting the direct reply from MP that I did, basically a temper tantrum, you actually blame me for replying? Go fly a kite Brent.
Based in your first response, and the shitstorm toilet paper meme, I wouldn't give you the time of day for a response like that. You are basically demanding an explanation, with an immature response & meme, and yet you wonder why someone gave you attitude in return?

Sounds a little bit like self entitlement to me.

Royal lit the match, and some of you are pouring on the fuel, for no legitimate reason other than a continuance of the Namibian episode.

Go fly 2 kites IdaRam.

Does the clothing store you shop at, advertise the fact that the shirt you are purchasing, was made by a 12 year old girl in a Malaysian sweatshop, earning a $1 a day?

Some disclosure is just bad for business.

Last edited:
Based in your first response, and the shitstorm toilet paper meme, I wouldn't give you the time of day for a response like that. You are basically demanding an explanation, with an immature response & meme, and yet you wonder why someone gave you attitude in return?

Sounds a little bit like self entitlement to me.

Royal lit the match, and some of you are pouring on the fuel, for no legitimate reason other than a continuance of the Namibian episode.

Go fly 2 kites IdaRam.

Does the clothing store you shop at, advertise the fact that the shirt you are purchasing, was made by a 12 year old girl in a Malaysian sweatshop, earning a $1 a day?

When a hunting outfitter on a hunting website posts a hunting report that has ALREADY BEEN A SHITSTORM , even on other hunting websites, and expects it NOT to be another shitstorm, I question the motivation and wisdom of that individual.
If disclosing relevant facts about a hunt is bad for business, well... do we have our answer?
Look, I don't think disclosing the facts is the problem. WITHHOLDING them is! It has been stated this was a legal and ethical hunt. OK, I'm willing to buy that. So why withhold the facts and get bent when they come out?

I stated facts, nothing more, nothing less. Facts that could have been included by MP and openly shared. If you think facts should be hidden from potential clients, well OK then. Your call.

If stating facts is "lighting a match" then I'm guilty as charged.

I wonder why telling the truth is bad for business? :E Hmmm:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ColinR

Latest profile posts

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.