Zeroing solids and soft points together

So I've been playing with some new loadings for my .375 h&h. The platform is a CZ 550 safari magnum. I like the beefy feel of it and the big, reliable Brno Mauser 98 action. Probably 2 years away from a buffalo hunt so I have time. Wanting some opinions on how tight I should have my solids grouping with my expanding bullets.

The solid I am using currently is the Woodleigh hydro solid loaded by Federal going 2500 fps. I like the concept behind it and my gun likes it too. The soft is the Barnes vor-tx with the triple shock, slightly faster at 2540 fps. Both are 300 gr. and group well. The 2 bullet groups are about 2 inches apart vertically with the solid being the lower. Windage is identical. I have been having trouble finding a solid and a soft that will group closely for me and my question is this: Am I grouping tight enough between the 2 different rounds to be safe to hunt? Would anyone with some experience like to weigh in here?

I suppose given the performance of the hydro solid I could just use those for everything.
i use the woodliegh hydros in my 9.3x74r and find them to be the best solids.but they are also the best for thin skinned game making the need for two different bullets unnecessary.point,an oryx at 129 yards.the left shoulder was jello,had to through it away.cape buff,complete pass through,dead,ph wanted a insurance shot,complete pass through.
 
Like already stated test at 25 and 50 yards. You didn't say if you reloaded? If you do you could work up a soft load that would print closer to the hydro load you are using. Plus it would give you and excuse to keep going to the range for more load development:-)
 
The one time I hunted buffalo my softs were dead on at 100. The solids about 2 inches low and a 1/2 inch left. The PH was fine. Soft in the chamber, soft as the first in the magazine, then solids below that. With the Federal 300 grain and a good shot at 75 yards we just did an insurance shot when we walked up to him on the ground.

Also, if you plan to use the soft for other game I would only worry about it and figure the solids are for follow up only and will be used at less than 50 yards, in a highly stressful situation where anything within 2 inches at a 100 yards is just fine.
 
In my CZ550 416 Rigby the 400grn Hydros and 410 Woodleigh soft nose all group at the same point of impact 50mts and 100mts. Same powder load, 98 grains of AR2209 (H4350) Soft 2450fps Hydros 2550fps. Slower velocity, just , but same POI 96 grains AR2209. So I would suggest trying a Woodleigh Soft point or as others have said if your PH is happy with the 2" separation be happy.

Or just use the Hydros. I dropped my Buff with a hydro. Was going to use soft nose but looked like I might be shooting through scrub. Never known a hydro to deflect, seen them go straight through small trees and still drop the animal on the other side.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,308
Messages
1,572,371
Members
169,547
Latest member
JoniScorfi
 

 

 

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top