Zane Grey’s 1895 30-06

Knew of a gold inlaid Beretta shotgun that was spray painted black to hide it from potential thieves--maybe you could do that--but I wouldn't bother until you have finished refinishing it...it's old, after all. On the other hand, you could paint it camo and be done with it.
+1 on the recoil pad--especially if you cut it so you don't alter the finished length.
Could also have it rebored to 35 Whelen--then you'd have a real gun...
Course, if it was MY gun I'd want to remove the name on it and replace it with my own name--you could use a vibrating device to hammer it in, like they put DL numbers on my cousins' gun with, and then fill in those little jack hammer marks with wipe on liquid gold like you would also highlight the guns' serial number and model number with. That stuff looks great on any and all lettering of any kind, doesn't it?
Shouldn't be too hard to take stones to the trigger till it lets off at a few ounces if you are going to shoot it way out there.
If all this is too expensive, remember that you can perfect your own muzzle crown with any valve lapping compound on a brass ball device chucked up in a drill, so there's some savings for you as well.

Last edited:
I’m not going to hunt with it until I get the muzzle brake installed Bob!
@Bullthrower338
Cody you may want to sand that fancy checkering off and go something more practical like a nice 22 like straight line job. The barrel looks a bit shiny so bead blast it as well. Then you can go hunt with it.
Bob

Well if you are going for a PRC rifle, you'll need to drill and attach a piece of pic-rail for the optic too. That gorgeous little peepsight is not going to cut it on the 500 yard range.
@VertigoBE
Might have to be a scout rail so it doesn't foul the top ejection. That way you could still use the peep in a pinch.
Bob

Knew of a gold inlaid Beretta shotgun that was spray painted black to hide it from potential thieves--maybe you could do that--but I wouldn't bother until you have finished refinishing it...it's old, after all. On the other hand, you could paint it camo and be done with it.
+1 on the recoil pad--especially if you cut it so you don't alter the finished length.
Could also have it rebored to 35 Whelen--then you'd have a real gun...
Course, if it was MY gun I'd want to remove the name on it and replace it with my own name--you could use a vibrating device to hammer it in, like they put DL numbers on my cousins' gun with, and then fill in those little jack hammer marks with wipe on liquid gold like you would also highlight the guns' serial number and model number with. That stuff looks great on any and all lettering of any kind, doesn't it?
Shouldn't be too hard to take stones to the trigger till it lets off at a few ounces if you are going to shoot it way out there.
If all this is too expensive, remember that you can perfect your own muzzle crown with any valve lapping compound on a brass ball device chucked up in a drill, so there's some savings for you as well.
PS--if you are going to drill and tap it for scope sight, PM me and I'll send you a home made jig I made a while back so you can use your own hand drill to save paying those hucksters at the gunsmith shop to put in a few little old holes. Practice on something else first, or just move forward a quarter inch and try again if you don't get it right the first time. If it ends up not quite straight, just heat the mount with a torch and you can bend it enough to line up, most likely. Also helps to have someone else clamp down on the vice grips so you can concentrate on holding 'er straight and level. See, saved you another few bucks!
PSS--if you do have to move it forward a quarter-inch or so, I have a friend who could even weld in the unused holes to keep it looking a little more pristine....just a bit of fine filing and presto! with the cold blue touch-up.

Last edited:
440,624 was what the final realized price!

The rifle is also a take down model. Pretty neat.

A question for the tribe…….I couldn’t see using such a treasure in the field, but do you think it should be ever fired again? I think I would.
I would be on the fence about hunting with it but I think it should be shot. Similar to what Bill Jones does with his historic collection

Sold in 2019 as well.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-05-23 at 3.23.52 PM Large.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2023-05-23 at 3.23.52 PM Large.jpeg
    159.2 KB · Views: 29
  • Screen Shot 2023-05-23 at 3.23.54 PM Large.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2023-05-23 at 3.23.54 PM Large.jpeg
    166.4 KB · Views: 26
  • Screen Shot 2023-05-23 at 3.23.55 PM Large.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2023-05-23 at 3.23.55 PM Large.jpeg
    169.3 KB · Views: 19
  • Screen Shot 2023-05-23 at 3.23.57 PM Large.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2023-05-23 at 3.23.57 PM Large.jpeg
    237.4 KB · Views: 19
  • Screen Shot 2023-05-23 at 3.23.58 PM Large.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2023-05-23 at 3.23.58 PM Large.jpeg
    229.4 KB · Views: 22
  • Screen Shot 2023-05-23 at 3.24.00 PM Large.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2023-05-23 at 3.24.00 PM Large.jpeg
    137.4 KB · Views: 23

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danpowder

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you