Your 3 favorite hunting cartridges of all time

Everything I've shot with the grendel is DRT. From alligators to Axis whitetail to a audad that weighed 475 lbs they have all died instantly.

Everything I've shot with the grendel is DRT. From alligators to Axis whitetail to a audad that weighed 475 lbs they have all died instantly.
I’d be interested in what you consider “DRT”.

I’ve been hunting for nearly 50 years with hundreds of animals to my credit with none of them being DRT. I’ve personally witnessed DRT twice. Once was a high neck shot on a kudu by my wife that crumpled the bull where he stood, never taking another step. The other was a head shot to a whitetail by my grandfather, again…falling over dead.

Absent a hit to the CNS, I’ve never even heard of animals dropping like this. Have ALL of the animals you’ve taken with the 6.5G been shot in this manner or do you mean they took a few steps and died? Maybe ran 10-15 yards and fell over?

Falling right in their tracks. Shoot high shoulder shots. Aoudad was quartering away uphill. Shot entered below left shoulder and found bullet against skin on opposite front shoulder and passed just below spine. He locked up and fell chin first.

I’ve been hunting for nearly 50 years with hundreds of animals to my credit with none of them being DRT. I’ve personally witnessed DRT twice. Once was a high neck shot on a kudu by my wife that crumpled the bull where he stood, never taking another step. The other was a head shot to a whitetail by my grandfather, again…falling over dead.

Absent a hit to the CNS, I’ve never even heard of animals dropping like this. Have ALL of the animals you’ve taken with the 6.5G been shot in this manner or do you mean they took a few steps and died? Maybe ran 10-15 yards and fell over?
My youngest son has a Shultz & Larson 9.3x62 using Norma 286 grain bullets, on big pigs with a just behind the shoulder shot , their legs fall out from under them like they are stuck by lightning that to me is DRT. my 6.5 G will not do that.

I’m not one to cast aspersions on another man’s favorite cartridge but I suspect perhaps due to the extremely light recoil of the 6.5 Grendel you can precisely place your shots on game and your success is due to accurate shooting and a good bullet more than the cartridge itself.

The 6.5 Grendel is rather anemic, far exceeded ballistically by the 6.5 Creedmoor (which isn’t considered the biggest club in the bag) and every other 6.5 cartridge. Since the 6.5 Grendel was designed for the AR15 platform it makes it very handy. The 6.5 Creedmoor, 260 Rem, and 6.5x55 Swede are superior ballistically.

Somewhat "old" school type stuff here: 22 lr, 308 Win, and 12 gauge scatterblaster. :giggle:

With a caveat that I just added a 375 H&H to the fold. I have no doubt that it will make this list.

Here’s my 3 favorite of All Time:
1). .30-06
2). 12 ga shotgun
3). Fixed blade knife 5”-6”
I can live well anywhere on the Planet with those “tools” (plus a good guide & my Wife to take care of me!!)

Bee - DRT just means “there it is“….”it’s dead —- right there”. Every animal I’ve ever taken was DRT (when I finally found it !)

Now if I win the lotto.....despite cartridges I would use the following.....

Blaser BB 9.3x74R/6.5x57R Bergstutsen
Blaser BD14 7x57R/22 Hornet/20ga
Blaser K95 7x65R

3 guns all plains game sorted...

As for dg I would keep what I have....

375 H&H Brno ZKK602
404 Jeff Brno ZKK602
500 Jeff Brno ZKK602

Sorted

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KathrinMcG

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!