You be the Judge! Caliber Question

The 300 was shooting 3/4" groups with 165(?) grain Speers. I'm hoping to have a minor trigger issue fixed in the next day or two, and see what it will do with 180gr TTSX.

Unless I can get the mag box on the 8x68 machined out in a timely manner, it looks like the H&H is the winner!
I have also been considering the 180gr TTSXs in my 300 H&H. I'm currently shooting 180gr Accubonds & 180gr Trophy Bonded Tips at 3050 fps. I did have a few 180gr trophy bonded tips blow straight through a cow elk a few seasons ago with minimal expansion....so I've been considering a different bullet for plains game next year. I also have 200gr Swift A-Frames & 180gr Swift Sciroccos. The 180gr Swift Sciroccos are shooting 3/4" with 70.5gr H-4831 however they're only going 2895 fps average.

I have also been considering the 180gr TTSXs in my 300 H&H. I'm currently shooting 180gr Accubonds & 180gr Trophy Bonded Tips at 3050 fps. I did have a few 180gr trophy bonded tips blow straight through a cow elk a few seasons ago with minimal expansion....so I've been considering a different bullet for plains game next year. I also have 200gr Swift A-Frames & 180gr Swift Sciroccos. The 180gr Swift Sciroccos are shooting 3/4" with 70.5gr H-4831 however they're only going 2895 fps average.
I have been loading 200 grain Accubonds in mine lately. Last.month I killed a waterbuck, an nyala, a bush buck and an impala with this setup. Everything died right at the point of impact or within a few yards. Ranges were from about 30 yards to 300. All bullets passed through and were not recovered. They have also been extremely accurate.

I have been loading 200 grain Accubonds in mine lately. Last.month I killed a waterbuck, an nyala, a bush buck and an impala with this setup. Everything died right at the point of impact or within a few yards. Ranges were from about 30 yards to 300. All bullets passed through and were not recovered. They have also been extremely accurate.
Can't argue with that performance. I've got Eland, Gemsbok, Barbary sheep, Roan and several other plains game on the hit list next year. Would you mind sharing what powder you've been using?

I've got a 25" Bartlein #3 fluted 10 twist barrel on my 300 H&H. I've yet to find a 180gr load it doesn't shoot under an inch. I haven't tried 200 grainers yet but I've got 200gr Partitions, Accubonds & Woodleighs to try in it.

I'll be hunting the Eastern Cape & Namibia next September. I understand there's opportunity for some pretty long shots so I'm torn between 180gr & 200gr loads.

Can't argue with that performance. I've got Eland, Gemsbok, Barbary sheep, Roan and several other plains game on the hit list next year. Would you mind sharing what powder you've been using?

I've got a 25" Bartlein #3 fluted 10 twist barrel on my 300 H&H. I've yet to find a 180gr load it doesn't shoot under an inch. I haven't tried 200 grainers yet but I've got 200gr Partitions, Accubonds & Woodleighs to try in it.

I'll be hunting the Eastern Cape & Namibia next September. I understand there's opportunity for some pretty long shots so I'm torn between 180gr & 200gr loads.
I've been loading 71 grains of RL-22 for around 2950 fps.
Before this year I was loading 180 gran Accubonds with 70 grains of IMR4350. I've killed two mule deer, a black bear and a moose with that load. Never got any of those bullets back either. I was thinking about eland on this trip and decided to try the heavier bullets. The center of the groups with the 180s was 2.5 inches high at 100 yards, and when I fired two shots with the 200s the two holes were touching at exactly 2.5 inches high and right in line. I checked the zero at the camp in Zimbabwe, and again, the two hole were in line and touching at 2.5 high. I don't think I'm going to change it up when I look for an elk in November. My rifle really likes this load, but as we all.know, every rifle has their own preferences.

I've been loading 71 grains of RL-22 for around 2950 fps.
Before this year I was loading 180 gran Accubonds with 70 grains of IMR4350. I've killed two mule deer, a black bear and a moose with that load. Never got any of those bullets back either. I was thinking about eland on this trip and decided to try the heavier bullets. The center of the groups with the 180s was 2.5 inches high at 100 yards, and when I fired two shots with the 200s the two holes were touching at exactly 2.5 inches high and right in line. I checked the zero at the camp in Zimbabwe, and again, the two hole were in line and touching at 2.5 high. I don't think I'm going to change it up when I look for an elk in November. My rifle really likes this load, but as we all.know, every rifle has their own preferences.
That's excellent efficiency, velocity & accuracy with the 200gr Accubond & 71gr RL-22. I'm not sure I'd go back to the 180gr Accubonds if I was obtaining 2950 with the 200gr Accubond and it grouped well at longer distances. You'd be hard pressed to find a better all around load.

FYI, my load with the 180gr Accubonds & 180gr Trophy Bonded Tips is 72gr RL-22 for 3050 fps. They print exactly the same out to 500 yds as long as I do my part.

I think I'll work up a few loads with RL-22 & the 200gr Accubonds in a couple weeks.

I liked all the 30-06 suggestions. Fast 165gr will do it.

For variety you could use the 06 on moose and elk and the 7x57 on the deer. Or use the 7x57 on everything. My buddy kills elk with 25-06 120gr Nosler Partitions all the way to 480 meters so far.

Oh yeah...and you need a 9.3x62 and 8x57 and 35 Whelen also.

Being October, anything down yet? If so what and with what?

I liked all the 30-06 suggestions. Fast 165gr will do it.

For variety you could use the 06 on moose and elk and the 7x57 on the deer. Or use the 7x57 on everything. My buddy kills elk with 25-06 120gr Nosler Partitions all the way to 480 meters so far.

Oh yeah...and you need a 9.3x62 and 8x57 and 35 Whelen also.

Being October, anything down yet? If so what and with what?
The 300 is going to be the winner. Hopefully loads will be fine tuned this week.

My zones don’t open until the November 1st, so I’m hoping to have some success in the near future!

The 300 is going to be the winner. Hopefully loads will be fine tuned this week.

My zones don’t open until the November 1st, so I’m hoping to have some success in the near future!
Oh yah. I was wondering. On my phone it does not show where you are from but I thought if in Alberta moose starts Nov. Which WMU did you get drawn for? I got drawn for cow elk in the late season. Debating between 30-06 and 7x57. I used 300WM last time but sold it few years ago. Your 300 is fine. Good luck with everything...

WMU 232 for moose and mule deer. The elk is 3 or 4 zones actually, 232 and all the way to the border.

Thanks for the luck, I’ll need it! I hope you get a tasty cow!

WMU 232 for moose and mule deer. The elk is 3 or 4 zones actually, 232 and all the way to the border.

Thanks for the luck, I’ll need it! I hope you get a tasty cow!
I do too. We will see. Not as much time for hunting this season I'm afraid. I hope you get your moose. My buddy got one last year and shared some meet. Just ground some up for burgers. Very good meat.

The .270, 7mm and 30-06 are capable of taking everything on your list, except maybe the turkey, depends how big they get where you live.
What caliber are we supposed to shoot for turkey? Something bigger or something smaller? I've known the birds to take quite a beating from buckshot, but they don't seem too resilient under rifle fire. A .22 Magnum may well be all one needs. Surely a .30-06 will lay one down for the count without issue. Although I'm not averse to blasting one with a bigger gun.

The .270, 7mm and 30-06 are capable of taking everything on your list, except maybe the turkey, depends how big they get where you live.

I've shot several turkeys in the neck (legally) with my 270 (90g Sierra HPBTs). Worked wonderfully.

I've shot several turkeys in the neck (legally) with my 270 (90g Sierra HPBTs). Worked wonderfully.
I think you might have been under-gunned. Those turkeys are pretty dangerous when they charge!

Okay that was a joke. Happy Halloween!

I wouldn't go below my .338 to face a ramping turkey. :O

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeraldineI

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!