Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Australia/NZ
Hunted
USA, New Zealand, Namibia, Spain
After talking with our doctor and explaining where we plan to go, he says we should get the YF vaccination. So, the CDC website says that the doctors office and the pharmacies have the yellow international vaccination card. However, the nurses don't even know what it is, the pharmacies don't know what it is either and have never seen one. Getting the vaccination without the card is useless. Those of you who have it, where did you get the card? And what does the vaccination cost? Is yellow fever the only vaccination that is needed on the card? I know we need more vaccinations than that, but do they need to go on the card?

I honestly think it's a waste of money. I have flow through Dakar twice no problems, I will again but unless you are going to somewhere remote to hunt its not necessary.

Countrylife,

Check with a doctor's office or your insurance provider and ask about the yellow shot record book. I think in the US, school age kids are required to have certain shots before they can be enrolled in school. The yellow shot record booklet is a requirement in a lot of cases.

If you are traveling from the US to RSA, you won't get checked for YF shot record. It's if you travel to another country and then transit back thru RSA that becomes an issue. I live and work in Nigeria, so I have to show my shot record everywhere I travel.

Travelers entering South Africa from WHO-designated yellow fever countries arerequired to present their current and valid “International Certificate of Vaccinationas approved by the World Health Organization (WHO)” (commonly called a “yellowcard”) or statement of medical exemption (also located on the same yellow ...

CDC's searchable website for location of yellow fever shot providers:
https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/yellow-fever-vaccination-clinics/search

I found this online: http://www.who.int/ihr/IVC200_06_26.pdf?ua=1
Not sure I'd want to try and print my own, as it would probably be hard matching the right shade of yellow.

Yellow fever vaccine is required to get thru or into certain countries. Other vaccines to consider are obviously a tetnus shot, Hep A & B(Twinrix, which is a series of 3 shots), Polio and typhoid. Vaccine for cholera is no longer given.

Last edited:
A good Doc at a Travel Clinic will know what to do and what you actually need. If they are providing the YF vacs
they will have the cards.
Not sure what is up with the folks you are consulting.

Travel clinic is where you need to go.

As for getting it or not, in some countries, it's mandatory. They don't always check, but if they do and you don't have it . . . it might not be pleasant.

I arrived in Cameroon a couple of years ago and they asked for the card before you got to passport control. Those who didn't have a card could get the shot on the spot (I didn't ask if they changed the needle every time, because I know what the answer would be), or wait for the next plane out.

I also had to show the card to get a visa for Ethiopia and for Benin.

So if the country you're visiting requires it, get it.

Got mine from travel clinic. Had a discussion with the doctor about getting it or not. I wasn't going anywhere remote, but did have the hour layover in Dakar. I asked him if I had to get off the plane for any reason could I be denied getting back on, if I didn't have the shot. he said he wasn't sure, didn't think they would but than again in life, you never know what might happen. So I got it. I've learned one has to CYA.

Check with your local Health Department. Mine is located at the courthouse, but the next county is in a separate building from theirs. I was told when prepping for my first safari they could do it. I believe the yellow cards they have, but wouldn't likely reflect anything else you've gotten in the past, unless you've got exhaustive evidence. I can't speak on the cost of the YF vaccine.

Some cases of yellow feber appeared in our neighbourg country Brazil some days ago in the Northern part.

Anywayhere in Argentina YF vaccine is not required to go neighbours country but is mandatory to go beyond neighbour countrys, I mean, you cannot leave the country without your yellow card.

I got mine for free in 2014 to go to South Africa in Buenos Aires vaccination traveler center......it was easy and fast.....I think it´s worth .

First of all where are you going? If it is RSA, Zim, or Namibia you don't need it. I can recall my last trip where I visited with a US government official on the plane who was headed to Cape Town for meetings. He was only going to Cape Town and was obviously going to be indoors most of the time and the doc he was seeing for travel medicine prescribed him malaria pills! One must have common sense in these matters and some docs are just over cautious.
If you are going to SCI I believe there is a booth there where you can get the shot and card. Otherwise, if you travel a lot, you should consider finding a travel doc. That said most travel docs just read the CDC web site for info and we can all do that ourselves.
Regards,
Philip

I received my Yellow Fever back in 1988. It was required by Brazil if you have been to Peru, I had - Iquitos. I have never had one after that date. Now they are good for life and not 10 years anymore. Last year of our trip to Southern Africa, RSA changed their rule and it was no longer required. However, there was an outbreak in the Congo, next to Zambia, while not necessary both my wife and daughter went to the travel clinic and obtain the vaccine, better safe then sorry. And just because you will be in a large city like Cape Town does not mean a outbreak of vector borne disease cannot occur. Back in 1988, in Rio when I was there Dengue was alive and well. We have had Dengue in South Texas, and there not a vaccine for at nasty disease. Malaria was last in Texas in 1994.

.............. One must have common sense in these matters and some docs are just over cautious. ...............

Do you mean I should have got that suggested Rabies vaccine because I was going into the bush in Namibia. :ROFLMAO:

It helps if the travel doc has left the country once in their life. :rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pace88win

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you