AH enthusiast
Reviews
Reaction score
Website
www.nkwesafarisbotswana.com
Deals & offers
Media
Good Morning AH

Matt here with NKWE SAFARIS. I live in PA and I'm going with my Uncle on a Wyoming Elk Hunt. He was fortunate enough to draw this year after a long wait for area 7. Hunt will take place between Wheatland and Laramie third week of October. I'm looking for some help on clothing. I have read so much on First Lite, Kuiu, Badlands. I have also looked at SKRE which seems to be on the newer side. Can you give me some recommendations and/or reviews?

Thank you
Matt

I use First Lite for the most part, I'm not sure they are better, it is just where I landed over time. That part of WY during that time can produce some wildly different weather. Wool base is my standard, then just layering options. I would spend money on some rain gear, if you don't already have it.

While the new technical clothing is excellent, don’t overlook traditional wool clothing. It has stood the test of time from generation to generation. You’ll see more residents wearing wool than any of the newer clothing. There’s a reason for that.

Last I was there, you had to wear at least one piece of blaze orange too - make sure to check regs. Late October in the Rockies, come prepared for freezing Temps and snow (wool layers as mentioned and I ALWAYS have some down, just keep it dry). Two of the best patterns I see out here are Cabela's zone Western and Sitka's open country, but most folks that come out West spend a few stacks on Kuiu. I would focus more on comfort than name and/or pattern too since it's a rifle hunt (I presume). You can get awesome under layering from places like OR as well and save some $. They also make the best gaitors, hands down. Last thought (sorry) because you may have hunted here already. Make sure you have great glass, it's much more open out here. Good luck. :)

I have been elk hunting for over 40 years and all I wear are my Levi's. I do however have some cold weather coveralls that I can put on along with some good rain gear. The coveralls are also waterproof and if needed I can lay down in a snow bank with them on and actually be quite warm.

While the weather can be a bear it can also swing the other direction and be in the 90's during the day. You just need to go prepared for anything. I also don't put much store in the new clothing line for hunters. It may keep you dry and be wind resistant but you still need something that will keep you warm when sitting yet not be so hot that you can't hike in it. Some of the newer insulating clothing gets my nod for this.

The weather is highly variable that time of year. It's not too high elevation-wise (maybe only 6000-8000 ft), so it will be usually be warmer than other locales throughout the state. I typically hunt that area every year and I live in Laramie. My typical hunting clothes are a merino wool baselayer, a long sleeve sweatshirt, a puffy vest, and a relatively windproof insulated jacket. I might wear all of them in the morning and by lunch be hunting in just the sweatshirt.

But I have seen it get as low as -25 F that week and have also seen heavy snow close all roads into the area on that week. So ultimately you need to be ready for everything from summer to arctic temps.

As far as brands, just find what fits you well. I run First Lite for my merino base (Llano) and jacket (Uncompaghre). I run a Sitka heavyweight hoody for my sweatshirt. I have a Kuiu Superdown puffy vest. Sometimes I also bring one more layer between the hoody and the jacket, my Kuiu Peloton 240. I generally feel pretty prepared for anything minus the really cold temps...if I know that's coming I'll bring my heavy wool coat to put over everything.

Area 7 is very rugged and wool is typically heavy, so I would opt for some of the lighter stuff.

The weather is highly variable that time of year. It's not too high elevation-wise (maybe only 6000-8000 ft), so it will be usually be warmer than other locales throughout the state. I typically hunt that area every year and I live in Laramie. My typical hunting clothes are a merino wool baselayer, a long sleeve sweatshirt, a puffy vest, and a relatively windproof insulated jacket. I might wear all of them in the morning and by lunch be hunting in just the sweatshirt.

But I have seen it get as low as -25 F that week and have also seen heavy snow close all roads into the area on that week. So ultimately you need to be ready for everything from summer to arctic temps.

As far as brands, just find what fits you well. I run First Lite for my merino base (Llano) and jacket (Uncompaghre). I run a Sitka heavyweight hoody for my sweatshirt. I have a Kuiu Superdown puffy vest. Sometimes I also bring one more layer between the hoody and the jacket, my Kuiu Peloton 240. I generally feel pretty prepared for anything minus the really cold temps...if I know that's coming I'll bring my heavy wool coat to put over everything.

Area 7 is very rugged and wool is typically heavy, so I would opt for some of the lighter stuff.
Of course I always pack gloves and a stocking hat. And you will have to wear blaze orange.

Are you going with an outfitter or DIY?

These are the boots I wear for most of my elk hurting, I am always on a horse, so you may not need this type, but these have never let me down.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-08-13 at 7.52.34 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-08-13 at 7.52.34 AM.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 48

These are the boots I wear for most of my elk hurting, I am always on a horse, so you may not need this type, but these have never let me down.
Most guys in Area 7 are not horseback hunting, so I would suggest a good supportive hiking boot. I prefer Crispi Hunters or Crispi Altitudes, depending on whether I have to cross streams. Not much water in Area 7, so comfort and ankle protection is probably the highest concern.

I hunted Alaska tundra for two weeks. Everyone said how hard it was to walk on. I thought that everywhere I hunt in Area 7 was significantly harder walking. Steep with just the wrong size boulders and deadfall everywhere.

Keep your eyes peeled for bighorn sheep too. This is a pic from our property in Area 7 from a spring hike this April. You can see some of the terrain I'm talking about in the background, although its not as steep as a lot of places.
10558.jpeg

My view is this is highly dependent on the style and activity level of your hunt.

I grew up elk hunting in Wyoming and did 95% of my hunts in jeans or carhartts. That being said - we went back to a camper every night and I remember many hunts where I was cold and miserable.

You can hunt in $30 snow boots and jeans - spending $500 at Kuiu won’t kill an elk for you. That $500 may allow you to hunt more comfortably.

I would get a single pair of Kuiu attack pants - long underwear - and your hunting boots. On top aim for 3-4 layers so you can be comfortable stopping in the coldest weather and glassing but can peel layers off when you are hiking. I would go with a breathable shirt, then a wool/blend thicker shirt, jacket and then a puff coat.

Happy to provide more feedback if you want.

My view is this is highly dependent on the style and activity level of your hunt.

I grew up elk hunting in Wyoming and did 95% of my hunts in jeans or carhartts. That being said - we went back to a camper every night and I remember many hunts where I was cold and miserable.

You can hunt in $30 snow boots and jeans - spending $500 at Kuiu won’t kill an elk for you. That $500 may allow you to hunt more comfortably.

I would get a single pair of Kuiu attack pants - long underwear - and your hunting boots. On top aim for 3-4 layers so you can be comfortable stopping in the coldest weather and glassing but can peel layers off when you are hiking. I would go with a breathable shirt, then a wool/blend thicker shirt, jacket and then a puff coat.

Happy to provide more feedback if you want.
I second the attack pants!

Merino base layers. Wool or fleece pants. Layered shirts. Usually a hoodie I can remove if needed. Favorite jacket is a 20 year old Cabelas camo that’s quiet. Stormy Kromer or Crown wool railroad hat. Usually Schnee pack boots. Always gaiters. A cpl pair of cotton gloves and a pair of leather. If you struggle with cold hands wear a pair of latex gloves under leather. And always a set of Cabelas space rain in my pack. Light. Keeps you dry. And an extra layer on the cold windy days. Just my 2 cents worth from 30 yrs of Montana elk hunting.
Good luck.
Racer.

I like attack pants for earlier hunts, but 3rd week in October....I would check out the Kuiu Talus Hybrid or Sitka Timberline. Last year in BC, it was cold but not freezing and hands down preferred the Talus.

As mentioned though, it depends on your hunt. I usually carry everything on my back for a hunt like that.

Cool pic CornellCowboy, I am a sheepy dude!!!

I really like Badlands tops, they just fit me really well, everything from base layer on up. Sitka is my number two for tops. Kuiu just doesn't fit me right. Pants-wise, I like the Fjallraven Vidda Pro.

Keep your eyes peeled for bighorn sheep too. This is a pic from our property in Area 7 from a spring hike this April. You can see some of the terrain I'm talking about in the background, although it’s not as steep as a lot of places.View attachment 550986
Your property in Sybille? Nice problem to have.

Most guys in Area 7 are not horseback hunting, so I would suggest a good supportive hiking boot. I prefer Crispi Hunters or Crispi Altitudes, depending on whether I have to cross streams. Not much water in Area 7, so comfort and ankle protection is probably the highest concern.

I hunted Alaska tundra for two weeks. Everyone said how hard it was to walk on. I thought that everywhere I hunt in Area 7 was significantly harder walking. Steep with just the wrong size boulders and deadfall everywhere.

Crispi are my go to when not on a horse, love them. I did the rifle opener a few years ago in the Teton's it went from hot and raining to cold and raining, then it when to cold and icing and then heavy snow. It is absolutely miserable, by the middle of the week, my saddle had 20lbs of water soaked in it, then it was frozen solid the last couple days of the hunt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RustyLever

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you