WORST hunting experience ever?

You boys have truly had some bad luck. Nothing like mine, however. I hunted in Spain in 2006 and the white wines were not properly chilled. They once served a Pinot Grigio with red meat!! Go figure. And to make it even worse..............some of the massage girls required extra training..........no limit to the number of things that can go wrong on a hunt.....no sir..............FWB
FWB - You out shine us all! Hilarious!!:LOL::D

You boys have truly had some bad luck. Nothing like mine, however. I hunted in Spain in 2006 and the white wines were not properly chilled. They once served a Pinot Grigio with red meat!! Go figure. And to make it even worse..............some of the massage girls required extra training..........no limit to the number of things that can go wrong on a hunt.....no sir..............FWB

Come on Bill, we don´t drink this Pinot Grigio in Spain, that must have been in Italy :ROFLMAO:

Even not properly chilled, the wine must have been good.........and plentiful.

Mine was an elk hunt in Colorado through a booking agent using one of their local outfitters. I drove a day and a half to get there. Got settled in and prepared for hunting the next day. The area was about an hour from the lodge and we walked from daylight til dark and never saw a thing. This went on for 5 days. We had to eat out every other evening because the cook quit and the outfitter's wife did the cooking on the off days. Never did see the outfitter, just my guide. The only elk I saw was a cow on the last day just at dark. I was so pissed I drove 16 hours straight home the next day just to get as far away as fast as I could.

The hunt was supposed to be for trophy bulls but the guide said they didn't have any 6x6s in that area, they were all 5s or less. Out of 7 hunters only one guy scored and that was a raghorn. The no see um excuse was that the weather was too warm and the elk weren't moving. This was in October and it was colder than ice in the mornings.

Nwbmr...............such a common occurrence with western elk hunts. Sorry to hear. .................FWB

Aw hell, I'll add mine though they pale in comparison...

- Booked a hunt for me and my father for goose in Southern IL. Our guide was to be the champion goose caller. Upon arrival, they switched him to some firearms executives who showed up and we got goose pits with no shots while others limited out... Felt bad for my dad.

- Hunted moose in AK in an area that required either spike, fork, 3 brow tines, or 50" spread. My buddy and I both swore the moose had 3 brow tines. Yeah, that kicker sure looked like a 3rd tine. Twelve miles back in so I had to hike to high ground to turn myself in for shooting an illegal moose. ATV'd out and took the moose meat and antlers in so the F&G could get moose meat to hungry folks. Showed up in court for a $500 fine, $250 suspended. Learned a lesson about being very sure of my target...

Simple: Having paid $2000 for a deposit on a Trophy Axis Buck Hunt in Texas. Getting the run around from the PH for two years filled with excuses and then having to take him to court in Kerrville, Texas to win a judgement. Put a bad taste in my mouth and now I hunt with outfitters based on their references and word of mouth. I will never hunt with an outfitter without doing my due diligence and homework - another reason why I love this forum. Lost a lot of respect for this person - I was brought up that you are only as good as your word and a handshake sealed a deal. I will continue to hold myself accountable to that standard.

dt

I tell my boys this all the time. I don't care what you have in life, a man is only as good as his word. It's hard for them to see, everyone has to be the center of attention these days...

I posted this in another thread but it fits the topic here.

Got a prairie dog hunt in Texas lined up, six months in advance, deposit made. Going to meet a buddy down there and we're going to team up and hunt with a guide for three days. Hunted with him before so I know the drill. Eight hundred rounds of two different cartridges sent UPS a couple months in advance to the guide. Rifles dialed in to 800 yards, leaving on a Sunday, airline tickets bought, motel and car rental reservations made, two rifles packed with cleaning rods, rangefinders, binos, all the junk I figure I'll need. Clothes packed for a week, carry-on ready to go. Plane leaves at eight, I'm up waiting for my wife to get ready to drive me to the airport. Bags and gun case are in the trunk of the car, garage door is open, I even got my jacket on. It's around 5:00 a.m.
Phone rings. It's my buddy in Texas. Guide got in to some sort of pissing match with his lease holder and was told to get his shooting trailers and clear out. No backup plan, the hunt is cancelled. Closed the garage door and went back to bed.
Got up later and cancelled everything before the departure time.

O.K., we've seen the photos of great hunts & safaris from the past, and we're starting to see photos & reports from this seasons safaris starting to come in, and they are all great and wonderful and we all love to read them and live vicariously through fellow members.

Now......what was the worst hunting experience you've ever had? It can be a case of bad luck, a piss poor outfitter, nature not cooperating..........but it just about made you swear off hunting..FOREVER!!!

Mine was a hunt 2 years ago in North Carolina. My friend and I paid for a guided whitetail hunt and he was looking forward to it, as it was his first "guided" hunt had he had been deer hunting for almost 20 years and had yet to take a buck (and has only taken one doe) in that time. I'm proud to say that I introduced him to both firearms and hunting.
I had hunted with a different outfitter in N.C. before, but they didn't appear to still be in business. We decided to go with this outfitter because they had a nice website, good reviews, etc. Prices were about average as to what everyone else was asking. We headed off with great anticipation and excitement.
To make a long story short, the place was grossly misrepresented. They advertised that they only took 12 hunters at a time; we had 22 by the end of the week. Top that off with only one bathroom!!! In a week of hunting, nobody took a deer, and the only deer seen were either so far away that a shot was unethical, or it was a small buck that was not shootable. Trail cam pictures (that the 'guides' got overly excited about) were over 3 weeks old, and the feeders looked as if they had been filled just the day before. After the fourth day, I got out of my stand and walked around......couldn't find a single deer track in the soft earth! There idea of 'guiding' was to move you from one plywood box to another (which your bunk mate hunted in the day before.....and saw nothing). They advertised "3 meals", but their idea of a meal was little Debbie snack cakes for breakfast and frozen hamburgers for lunch. Top that off with only a 4 cup coffee maker for 22 people and lets just say I'm surprised that a riot didn't break out. No safety devices (first aid kit or fire extinguisher), and we later found out that the refridgerator was jury rigged into an overloaded circuit!! Our "guide" greeted us on the first day with profanity, saying "If I catch any of you m******* F******** of your stand, I'll throw your M******* F********* ass of this property; I don't give a damn how much you paid!!" (great way to start a client relationship, eh?). He would then drop us off at our plywood box and go home and work on his house.

My friend has decided that he no longer wants to go on any out of state hunts due to this wonderful experience, and I didn't receive ANY satisfaction from the local chamber of commerce, better business bureau, fire marshal, N.C. dept of fish and game (there was a state license number in the lodge).

I had a near drowning experience that fall when my canoe capsized while duck hunting, and this hunt was worse than that.........imagine a hunt being worse than almost dying!!!

O.K., so that's my story...........what's yours?
@Mr 16gauge
Mine c ant Richter that but mine is what I call funny to me but not the person it happens to.
In Australia we have at type of grass that is smooth as silk on one side and the other side feels like you are running your fjngers over broken glass.
Well Gary and I were out hunting and Gary needed a rather urgent dunny break. He went behind the bushes to do what he had to do. Not long into said activity was a blood curdling scream accompanied with yelps of anguished pain. Running (well gingerly approaching) to the last seen spot Gary was I was greeted by a horrible sight of a grown man with his pants around his ankles with tears in his eyes. I politely turned around from that horrible sight (That still haunts me to this day) and asked what happened. He hadn't been bitten on the ass by a red back spider or been bitten by a snake. He had grabbed a handful of grass to wipe his nether regions but knowing he proceeded with the wrong side and tore his delicate ring gear to pieces. That night in the shower was a repeat of the screaming and yelping as the water hit the region.
To ad insult to injury I said I thought you knew about that stuff otherwise I would have told you.
What he proceeded to call me isn't fit to print. A few rums eased the pain but it was hilarious watching him tip toe around the bush like a gay ballerina the next day with a roll of dunny paper in his fanny pack and muttering works like I'll get you you bastard and other threats of physical violence to my person.
I had a great trip but c ant say the same for Gary.
Bob

I have all the respect in the world for you hard working PH's. Dealing with these butthead clients has to be the worst. That guy should take some of his 52 million and buy a decent attitude for himself.
@Brent in Az
Mate he can keep his 52 mill, I would give him an attitude adjustment for free. Dickheads like that and I just don't mix well. I suppose I don't know how to play nicely with them..
His 52 mill would be needed for his hospital bills.
Bob

@Brent in Az , would cost him more than 52mil to get a decent attitude, the butt of my rifle would have worked better.
@Brent in Az
The but of my rifle wouldn't work I have good recoil pads. A good ass whoopp'n would be more beneficial.
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FrederickD

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross