Woodleigh 180gr 30 cal Cat No 65D

I was down to the 180 with the rounder profile assuming better expansion on deer, and 200 for the less potential to damage on deer but better for moose. Lol. The hesitation with the 200gr is that it won't expand enough on deer and there will be a long follow up.

If you are loaded with the 200gn and get a shot at a deer don't shoot behind the shoulder, shoot for the shoulder bone, specifically the top half of the scapula.
That placement with that bullet will put them DRT or near enough :A Way To Go:

Woodleigh has a 180gr bullet designed specifically for the 300 WM and equivalent. Has anyone used this bullet on deer sized game? Thoughts on close range shots with this combination? Issue is that I can have both a deer and moose tag, so I am looking for a good compromise bullet for use in a 308 Norma. And ranges are up close to about 250 yards max.

Thanks. View attachment 274983
@Pheroze
I don't know about the 180 Woodleigh but I do know the 225gn 35 cal PPSP. Even when launched 250fps faster than the recommended velocity it held up well. According to Geoff at Woodleigh the recommended velocity is the recommended Max and min IMPACT velocity.
I personally found the projectile still held together well and penetration was excellent even at higher than recommended max yet still showed expansion on smaller game like impala at longer range of 275 yards. The 1,800fps min velocity for expansion if well past 450 yards with the 35 cal so I would assume the 30 cal to exhibit the same characteristics.
Bob

I have been using the Woodleigh bullets in a number of calibers for over 20 years.
They are an awesome bonded lead core bullet that will work well on small, medium and large deer size animal.
I use the 180gr PP designed for the .300WM in my .300 Jarrett (at 3150fps) on Fallow deer 60-80kg (130-175lbs) and Red deer 180-200kg (400-440 lbs) a number of times with great success.
On side on vital area shots they will often pass straight through between up close out to 200 yds or more.
Angled shots sometimes do not exit and present as perfectly mushroomed bullets often found just under the skin on the far side.
My observations are that they are softer up front than Swift A-frames and Nosler Accubonds in the same caliber and weight. Meaning they will have on average a larger mushroom diameter (bigger frontal area) than the later two bullets mentioned. But their retained weight is still often over 80%.
I have never seen or heard of one failing among my group of hunting friends. Over here in Australia they are the most affordable premium bullet in our market.
@GeoffB
Another couple of premium projectiles at a reasonable price, read not much dearer than Woodleigh are Atomic 29 and outer edge. Both are a mono construction.
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinPr

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!