Won a Safari

Discussion in 'Hunting Africa' started by Ryan Wilson, Aug 16, 2019.

1. Cam Moon

Cam Moon AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    I sure have! Drove the panoramic route in Mpumalanga. That was pretty awesome. Been to Kruger National Park a few times. Drove Limpopo, North West Province, Mpumalanga Province, and Gauteng. Hunted East Cape and Limpopo. Like I said, the country has a lot to offer.

2. Newboomer

Newboomer GOLD SUPPORTER AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, SCI, American Legion, Freemasons
    Hunted:
    RSA, Maine, Montana, Colorado, Texas, Alaska, California.
    All that glitters is not gold. This has scam written all over it in capital letters. How do you know you'll even get the chance at the "free" animal without strings attached? Suggestions for Ph, skinners, trackers and camp staff. Does that mean you have to gather your own staff? No airport transfers.
    Way too many holes in this scenario to even give it a second glance. Call it a $20 lesson and book with one of the AHS outfitters.

3. Ryan

Ryan AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    At best it'll work as you plan assuming you have the time and money and multiple friends you want to hunt with who are also willing to gamble and play along to to pull of your plan. And that's the best case. It could go seriously south once in country and the outfitter figures out what you're doing. Would you and your hunting companions like your trophies back? More than one horror story out there of them being held hostage. I personally don't have the time to burn, money to risk and don't want to place that same risk on a group, if I did like hunting and vacationing with a group, which I don't.
    I'd walk away.

4. Cam Moon

Cam Moon AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    And I would recommend you do so. The alternate idea I had isn't for everybody, that's for sure. But for the right person (or people) it could be rewarding. Only the OP knows what's best for him. What I'm comfortable doing and what the next guy is comfortable doing can be two very, very different things! I wouldn't recommend doing anything you're not comfortable with!

5. Heath Johnson

Heath Johnson New Member

Video/Photo:
    The outfitter needs to be named and called out on this site!

Philip Glass likes this.

6. rookhawk

rookhawk AH ENABLER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Benefactor, Trout Unlimited, Safari Club International
    Absolutely. What outfitter wouldn’t be proud of their donations? Who wouldn’t want to have the resplendent sunshine of the hunting public looking at their generosity in the hopes of obtaining many more customers through their support for other organizations previously?

Who is this outfitter that structured this donation, please name them and let their deeds go recognized!

7. BnC 04

BnC 04 GOLD SUPPORTER AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    DSC, RMEF, DU, NWTF, NRA
    Hunted:
    Canada/Europe/Africa/14 US States
    Not to sound rude but by NOT naming this outfitter/agent you are condoning their BS when the next guy that isn't as aware as you "wins".
    Help protect the next guy and give them the knowledge now before it's too late and they are getting bent over in a corner.

8. Philip Glass

Philip Glass AH ENABLER LIFETIME BRONZE BENEFACTOR AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, Life SCI, Life DSC, Life EWA
    Hunted:
    RSA, Namibia, Kyrgyzstan, Austria, Australia, Zimbabwe, Texas
    Donation hunts can be sketchy. I’ve had one good one and one bad one. The bad ones can really ruin things for you. Book with a reputable outfitter that hunts large acreage and you will do fine. Looks like you got not a donation hunt but an actual scam lottery hunt.

9. Philip Glass

Philip Glass AH ENABLER LIFETIME BRONZE BENEFACTOR AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, Life SCI, Life DSC, Life EWA
    Hunted:
    RSA, Namibia, Kyrgyzstan, Austria, Australia, Zimbabwe, Texas
    Who is the outfitter?

Heath Johnson likes this.

10. CEO

CEO AH Veteran

Did you do a write up on the bad one? Just wondering what transpired.

11. Ryan Wilson

Ryan Wilson AH Senior Member

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Alabama, Georgia, Kentucky, Illinois, Iowa, Texas, Wyoming, Alberta Canada, South Africa
    I am not mentioning the outfitter because Ive written 2 dicey reviews in my life that were accurate of my experience. One outfitter threatened to sue me for defamation and the other has had clients question my character via social media. My review is on AH and I stand by all accounts of that particular trip. Anyhow, It wasn't the outfitter running the drawing. It was a local archery club that ran the drawing and the outfitter was just a donor. Believe me, I let both the outfitter/broker and drawing host know how I felt about "winning" a hunt. There was no hard feelings towards the outfitter even though the prices were inflated. The archery club has had people win this before, go on the hunt and enjoyed it. For me, I knew what was happening when I got the "fact sheet". The end result with all this is that farmers, outfitters and brokers all need to be transparent and honest. If you offer a package, let it be all inclusive. If you donate a hunt, donate a hunt. I blame this on the club for selling tickets to "win" hunts and there was nothing really won in terms of what is being offered on the market these days. Ryan