Website
www.youtube.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Hunted
Texas, Arkansas, Alaska
I think Polish brown bears are roughly grizzly sized but supposedly more laid back. In any case I like my odds better with a 10mm.

CoElkHunter

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
I do when in wolf/bear area. Otherwise, it's usually 9mm DA/SA P229 Legion or P365, depending on attire and situation. On rare occasions, when clothing permits and I feel like something fancy I wear a Kimber Classic Carry Elite 45ACP 1911 but P229 is the standard choice.
If your in wolf/black bear (not grizzly) country, even a 9mm with a good bullet is sufficient. One of our guys had to shoot a black bear attacking a neighbors goat with his 9mm using 147gr Remington Golden Sabre bullets and killed the bear with a couple of shots. Not recommended in my view, but that’s what he had available and was carrying?
I think Polish brown bears are roughly grizzly sized but supposedly more laid back. In any case I like my odds better with a 10mm.
Yes, then better with a 10mm.

Opposite Pole

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Member of
SSAA; PZŁ, KŁ Sęp
Hunted
Australia, Poland
Bears in Poland are Brown bears but by brown bear standards are not particularly large, I think an average male is about 400kg so more or less 900lbs. They are not particularly aggressive and their numbers are low. Attacks are rare and unprovoked attacks very rare. My understanding of what constitutes a provoked attack is different to that of the greenies. In their opinion, if one is walking on dirt and is attacked they have provoked it as all nature is for animals to control. But when some genius stuck his head inside a sow's den and happened upon her feeding her offspring and got mauled I say he asked for it! This is a true story btw, luckily for him he got so scared that he dropped unconscious on the ground and was left alone albeit somewhat mauled!

Vashper

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Member of
All-army military hunting society, Russian Union of hunters and fishermen.
Hunted
Only Russia
A few years ago, I translated a curious document for some American forum: the report of the Ministry of Internal Affairs on the use of pistols to protect against brown bears (this is the exact equivalent of a grizzly). With an indication of the model, caliber, the number of rounds used, the number of hits (if the bear was killed), and, so to speak, the score, in whose favor the result was. I don't know if I can find it now. According to a rough estimate, rounds of 9 mm or more (Makarov, Parabellum, Colt) were effective, farts of 6.5 mm were absolutely ineffective. 7.62-7.65 gave an intermediate result, which was a bit strange, since the cartridge for the TT is no worse than a 9-mm Parabellum in power, and the cartridge for the Nagant is also quite powerful. But nevertheless.

C.W. Richter

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
PA SCI, Various Endless Mtns., PA Region Clubs
Hunted
Zimbabwe 2x, Namibia 2x, RSA 2x, USA, Canada
Is it possible they were attracted by the scent of the good food & drink?!

Foxi

Bronze supporter
AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Hunted
Canada, USA,Austria,Turkey,Tschech Rep.,Poland,Hungary,Serbia,Denmark,Khomas HL and Omaheke/Namibia and England(England is wonderful) Romania,Luangwa/Zambia-,Gwayi/Zimbabwe/- + Save/Zimbabwe/- River. Horseback-tours in South Africa and Botswana.
1614805697812.png

Ruger lcr in 9mm Para is enough for every wolf
Guess our member @edward shoots them on 50 meters with it :)

@Vashper
7,65 ist absolute not to compare with 9mm Para

Werner Koser (RIP),Ross River Outfitters/Yukon, told me, he shot a few with .357 Magnum.
The intern Grizzly is often not heavier than a European brown bear.Ive seen monsters in the Karpathian mountains.
But yes,they are more relaxed than grizzlies,mostly
Apologise for OT

Last edited:

Opposite Pole

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Member of
SSAA; PZŁ, KŁ Sęp
Hunted
Australia, Poland
Is it possible they were attracted by the scent of the good food & drink?!

Who knows, it’s certainly possible.

They are also expanding their diet. Several years ago, they’ve redeveloped beaver hunting skills.

Powdermaker

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
Canada , Namibia, South Africa, Germany.
Same subject but different continent.....There were two wolf attacks in Northern Saskatchewan a few years back. One was fatal and one not.
The wolves were hanging around a mine site dump and got habituated to humans. A mine worker decided to walk back to the barracks one evening to get some exercise. Fortunately, a mine transport bus came by during the attack and rescued him. A year later a young guy visiting the mine decided it would be cool to film the wolves at the dump. He never showed that evening and the later they found his partly consumed body. The dump was fenced after that incident.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SoilaStale

Latest profile posts

Cervus elaphus wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Hi Bob, how's things going in Wyong?. Down your way a couple of years back but haven't been in NSW since Ebor for the fishing. just getting over some nasty storms up here in Qld, seeing the sun for the first time in a few days. I'm going to NZ in the spring and hope to clean up a few buns while there and perhaps shake the spiders out of my old .303LE (currently owned by my BIL). Cheers Brian
A couple pictures of the sable i chased for miles in Mozambique, Coutada 9!! We finally caught up to him and I had the trophy of a lifetime. Mokore Safaris, Doug Duckworth PH
sable Coutada 9.JPG
sable 2 - Coutada 9.JPG
Safari Dave wrote on egrmpty507's profile.
Did you purchase your hunt at a US SCI fundraiser?
uplander01 wrote on colorado's profile.
Heard you may have load data for the 500 Jeffery,.....any info would be appreciated. Was thinking 535gr, but already had a response that the 570gr would be a better way to go, not sure why.
Rickmt wrote on Leica Sport Optics's profile.
will Leica Amplus 6-2.5x15x50 fit on a pro success Blaser with low mount?