Winchester safari express or Alaskan?

fish hunter

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I’m going to order a model 70 in 375 and I’m just wondering what direction to go as for the model. I’m leaning towards the safari express. I’ll mostly use the rifle for North American game. I will probably replace the stock but I’m not sure on the options out there. Looks like the Alaskan model doesn’t have the dual cross bolts and finding a replacement stock(not wood) will be a little easier. Thanks guys and I appreciate all input.

Ummm…wait for a nice used Super Express to pop up. The stock is much more sleek.

However, I am not a fan of the flip up rear sight, and I am going to replace it with a Safari Express one or an NECG.

Alaskan has dual cross-bolts, at Lear they did in 2017, here’s my post when I received my Alaskan.

I was just looking in the 2022 catalog and from what I see/read just the safari express has the cross bolts. Either way is it going to be hard finding a replacement synthetic stock to fit the rifle. It’s not a show stopper for me but would just like the option of putting something a little more durable on for in harsh environments

The safari express is cross bolted.

I did that with my CZ in 458 lott.

Bought it and immediately bought a Bell and Carlson stock, also sent the gun off to have all the metal cerakoted.

So I have a cerakoted gun in a synthetic stock which really equals to an all-weather setup, which I wanted. Not a traditional looking Africa gun by any means, but that's not what I needed, I needed all-weather abuse performance as she sees snow.

It's great, so I wish you all the luck, good caliber, don't know the guns so can't help you there, but these big bores are fantastic.

I've owned a new made safari express in 375H&H, can't say enough good things about it, only sold it because I found an immaculate RSM in 375 H&H which is what I had always wanted and couldn't justify X2 375H&H's in my safe at the time. Haven't owned the Alaskan but I have picked a couple up and I definitely prefer the safari express.

I would recommend that you handle both the Safari Express and the Alaskan prior to buying one if at all possible. I have owned both and can tell you they have totally different handling characteristics. The Safari Express is heavier overall and I find it muzzle heavy in 375 H&H due to the barrel contour. The Alaskan has a slimmer stock, lighter contour barrel and balances much better for me. Both are quality rifles but are different enough that you will definitely prefer one over the other. Good luck in your quest.

Bought my Safari Express way back when and after first determining the barrel was a shooter I then handed it to the gunsmith to prepare it for Africa. This included full length bedding into a Bansner composite stock which resulted in making the rifle much more handier in off-hand shooting.

HTH

You can occasionally find used Alaskans in Stainless Steel and laminate stock …

I handled both before I bought and for me, the Alaskan was better fit and balance. I like that it’s lighter as well.
I agree with those above who say it’s an individual thing and best to pick up both before buying.
:S 2 Cents:

The Alaskan is double cross bolted as well.
29399430-F565-4C42-AD51-5F3419EEAC0F.jpeg

Last edited:
The chose the Safari because of its weight. I seem to shoot heavier guns more accurately due to recoil management. I use a shotgun rest on my belt to alleviate the effort of carrying on a long spot and stalk.
1642772149433.jpeg

Hi Fixfire,

Me too. The thing is more about the balance or, more apropiately said: the distribution of the weight along the rifle, than the total weight of the gun itself. This can be feel handling an original Mauser, or a H&H, Westley Richards or Rigby Mauser. A Joy to carry and shoot!!! Neither muzzle nor but heavy. Just "the weight between the hands", as it must be. As I see this.

Best!

CF

Last edited by a moderator:
I would recommend that you handle both the Safari Express and the Alaskan prior to buying one if at all possible. I have owned both and can tell you they have totally different handling characteristics. The Safari Express is heavier overall and I find it muzzle heavy in 375 H&H due to the barrel contour. The Alaskan has a slimmer stock, lighter contour barrel and balances much better for me. Both are quality rifles but are different enough that you will definitely prefer one over the other. Good luck in your quest.
I agree with this.
To me, the Safari Express barrel contour is better suited as a 416 and 458 than a 375.
The Alaskan model that I handled, felt more like a 375 should
I have some M70’s in 416 and 375 with the Safari Express contour. It is heavier than I care for in the 375’s. Though they are pleasant to shoot.

I’m going to order a model 70 in 375 and I’m just wondering what direction to go as for the model. I’m leaning towards the safari express. I’ll mostly use the rifle for North American game. I will probably replace the stock but I’m not sure on the options out there. Looks like the Alaskan model doesn’t have the dual cross bolts and finding a replacement stock(not wood) will be a little easier. Thanks guys and I appreciate all input.
...Why not Buy both?

I have a Safari Express and it’s the most accurate centerfire I own and I also have varmit rifles that includes. I also have a pre 64 in 300 H&H that is a twin to the current Alaskan minus only the cross bolts. The Safari is much more pleasurable to shoot from the bench and holds offhand very nice because of the extra weight. It also carries much better in woods or brush because of the barrel mounted swivel hanging up much less.
I also was able to find a Super grade stock on eBay for it and when I bought there were several to choose from. Perfect fit and zero didn’t move.
With all that said, if I was hunting more open country and packing a great distance I would go with the Alaskan. But if hunting the woods here in Virginia or buffalo in the bush, the Safari express would be my choice. I will add mine is a Portuguese rifle and the action and trigger are slicker than the pre 64. I have often wished you could get the Alaskan contour barrel with the safari stock and sling setup. That for me would be the ideal.

I have an Alaskan in .338 Win and its one of the nicest factory rifles I have owned that needed exactly nothing done to it.
Its a super slick feeder, zero function issues, great trigger and shoots as well as any .338 I have owned perhaps better. It also has a nice soft pad on it making it very easy to shoot.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-04-10 at 11.59.58 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-10 at 11.59.58 AM.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 230
  • Screen Shot 2022-04-10 at 11.59.59 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-10 at 11.59.59 AM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 198
  • Screen Shot 2022-04-10 at 12.00.01 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-10 at 12.00.01 PM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 247
That seems like a dang good deal!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YvonnePaws

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg