Winchester Model 70 Stock Re-Work

Caveman

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I wanted to pass along some recent work I had performed by RJ Renner in Sparks, NV. I have a Winchester Model 70 Super Express (New Haven) rifle in 375 H&H that had some bedding induced accuracy issues. The stock also felt awkward and a little off. RJ pillar bedded and slimed/reshaped the stock, added an ebony forend, sealed the barrel channel, reinforced the wrist, and re-checkered. The rifle came out great and shoulders and points much better than before. See before and after photos below. RJ was honest and straightforward, a pleasure to do business with. His turnaround time was exactly what he said (5 weeks).

Rifle Before.JPG
Rifle After 1.jpg
Rifle After 2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That’s a nice looking rifle. I love my Winchester M70 375 H&H.

That looks so much better and I'm sure it handles better too. Mr. Renner does great work.

OK ...now I want him to do my .375 Super Express.

Contact info for RJ?

Is this the place?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-02-17 at 5.18.54 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-02-17 at 5.18.54 PM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 82
  • Screen Shot 2023-02-17 at 5.18.57 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-02-17 at 5.18.57 PM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 64
  • Screen Shot 2023-02-17 at 5.18.59 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-02-17 at 5.18.59 PM.png
    934.6 KB · Views: 62
I love Winchester rifles and this is typical example why. Nice one you got there.

OK ...now I want him to do my .375 Super Express.

Contact info for RJ?

Is this the place?
yep.

I wanted to pass along some recent work I had performed by RJ Renner in Sparks, NV. I have a Winchester Model 70 Super Express (New Haven) rifle in 375 H&H that had some bedding induced accuracy issues. The stock also felt awkward and a little off. RJ pillar bedded and slimed/reshaped the stock, added an ebony forend, sealed the barrel channel, reinforced the wrist, and re-checkered. The rifle came out great and shoulders and points much better than before. See before and after photos below. RJ was honest and straightforward, a pleasure to do business with. His turnaround time was exactly what he said (5 weeks).

View attachment 517631View attachment 517632View attachment 517633
I just want to say "Damn You Caveman" for posting this.

I am talking to RJ now and will probably be even more poor than usual because of you posting this :)

I just want to say "Damn You Caveman" for posting this.

I am talking to RJ now and will probably be even more poor than usual because of you posting this :)
@Caveman you probably should ask Mr. Renner about referral credits towards your next project, I have a feeling he is going to see an uptick in business over the next few weeks, lol

@TERMINATOR, yes that is the place. Look under the link at the top for “pre war bolt actions”. I had him perform his “Old African” package without re-boring/re-chambering. Give him a call to discuss what you want. He’s a great guy to talk to, if he doesn’t answer, he will respond back in a timely manner.

@TERMINATOR, yes that is the place. Look under the link at the top for “pre war bolt actions”. I had him perform his “Old African” package without re-boring/re-chambering. Give him a call to discuss what you want. He’s a great guy to talk to, if he doesn’t answer, he will respond back in a timely manner.
Yes, I talked to him. Super guy just to even chat with.
I am looking at exactly what you had done.
And yes...price was what you said above $1800-$1900

@Caveman you probably should ask Mr. Renner about referral credits towards your next project, I have a feeling he is going to see an uptick in business over the next few weeks, lol
It must be a true story as he is now quoting 8-10 week :)

Looks amazing! Thanks for sharing! Do you know how about how much weight the rifle lost? Thanks!
Before he responds...I am gonna guess "Not much"

Because part of the work includes reinforcing the thin wrist of the stock with a rod drilled through the stock and there is the addition of the aluminum pillars in the bedding. That would offset some of the wood shaved off weight wise.

But from what I gathered from my conversation with Mr. Renner just now is that it is more about improving the looks (obviously) and the balance/feel in the hands than significant weight savings. But there probably is some.

Most of the weight in these guns is in the barrel/action. If you really want to shave weight you need to go to a lighter contour barrel. The standard barrel is very heavy (which does make the gun much more pleasant to shoot). And if you are going to use a scope, ditch the iron sights and maybe go to slightly shorter barrel (like 23" instead of 24"). Maybe skeletonize the bolt handle. All that adds up.

Last edited:
Terminator, I think you are correct with your line of reasoning. @Christian Davis I did just weigh it and it came out to 8.8 pounds, however I did not weigh the rifle before, so I do not have a great starting point, only what Winchester says it would weigh.

Terminator, I think you are correct with your line of reasoning. @Christian Davis I did just weigh it and it came out to 8.8 pounds, however I did not weigh the rifle before, so I do not have a great starting point, only what Winchester says it would weigh.
The standard listed weight for a .375 Super Express with a 24" barrel was right at 9 lbs. give or take a ounce so....not much.

It's a .375, so how much weight would you really want to take off? I realize a .375 doesn't really pound you, but that's generally partly due to the weight they are made in. I think the more important part is the amount of weight this shifts further back on the rifle, making it more balanced and better handling

It's a .375, so how much weight would you really want to take off? I realize a .375 doesn't really pound you, but that's generally partly due to the weight they are made in. I think the more important part is the amount of weight this shifts further back on the rifle, making it more balanced and better handling
I was actually wondering if it would reduce the weight too much haha I like heavy rifles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg