Winchester Model 54 experiences?

cash_tx

Gold supporter
AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
I have this Winchester Model 54 in 30-06 (labeled 30-Gov't-06) that I inherited from my late father a few years back, but still haven't shot it yet. Based on the serial number, it appears to have been made in 1929. It has a Leupold Vari-X II 3-9 in Conetrol rings and mount, 1:12 twist, and what I believe to be an aftermarket stock. I recently worked up a modern duplicate of the M72 match load using Sierra Match King 175gr BTHP's and 46.0 grains of IMR-4895, and will try to take it out sometime in the coming weeks. Just curious to hear if any other members have any experience with this model of rifle.

Winchester_Mod54_23534A_1.jpg

Last edited:
I’ve recently acquired a 1930 model 54 and have absolutely fell in love with it. It’s been extremely consistent shooter with factory core lokts of all weights from 150-220 grain. I’ve loaded some 180 partition loads with IMR 4350 but haven’t been able to get to the range with them yet.

Jeff

That's great to hear, and hopefully I'll get mine out soon as well. And I'm glad to hear that they shoot the heavier bullets well; I was a little concerned about that with the 1:12 twist. Cheers!

Last edited:
Used a Winchester Model 54 in .30-06 Springfield (loaded with 220Gr Remington Core Lokt soft points) to take a zebra. One shot kill (double lung shot). The things are damned accurate, but the stocks must be properly re-bedded and cross-bolted. Otherwise, they are quite prone to splittling.

Has yours been re-barreled ? I was under the impression that the Model 54 always had a 1:10 twist rate.

IMG_1407.jpeg

Used a Winchester Model 54 in .30-06 Springfield (loaded with 220Gr Remington Core Lokt soft points) to take a zebra. One shot kill (double lung shot). The things are damned accurate, but the stocks must be properly re-bedded and cross-bolted. Otherwise, they are quite prone to splittling.

Has yours been re-barreled ? I was under the impression that the Model 54 always had a 1:10 twist rate.

View attachment 538871
I don't know the history of the rifle, but I suppose it's possible that it was rebarreled. I measured the twist rate using the spinning cleaning rod technique, and it was 1:12. My other 30-06's measured at the expected 1:10 twist. I am pretty sure that it has been restocked, as it seems fancier and more glossy than the ones I've seen with the original stock. I haven't taken it out of the stock yet to see if it's bedded, by may do that this weekend.

Both of my 54's are 1:10. I've used them on mulies to yotes without issue. The M54 set the stage for the M70 a few years later.

I don't know the history of the rifle, but I suppose it's possible that it was rebarreled. I measured the twist rate using the spinning cleaning rod technique, and it was 1:12. My other 30-06's measured at the expected 1:10 twist. I am pretty sure that it has been restocked, as it seems fancier and more glossy than the ones I've seen with the original stock. I haven't taken it out of the stock yet to see if it's bedded, by may do that this weekend.
30-06 history
“”
Over a hundred years ago, the .30-03 shot long, heavy 220 grain round nose bullets. It needed a 1:10 twist at the velocities they left at.

Three years after its origin, the bullet was changed to a 150 grain spitzer. It only needed a 1:12 twist to stabilize it. But the US Government in all its infinite wisdom decided to keep the 1:10 twist for that new cartridge they called the .30-06 'cause it was thought that would be OK.

50 years later when Remington designed the 7.62 NATO round, they knew a 1:12 twist was best for the 147-gr. bullet it used. Even though that bullet left about 100 fps slower than the .30-06's 150 grain bullet, it was still very well stabilized. In fact, the 1:;12 twist was better for accuracy. When the 172 grain match bullet was used, accuracy was even better with that slightly heavier bullet.

But sporting rifles had 1:10 twist barrels 'cause the public thought that was best. They knew the famous M1903-A3 Springfields had it and so did the M1 Garand. So it had to be perfect for the .30-06. But competitive shooters knew that a 168 grain bullet leaving at .30-06 and .308 Win. velocities was the most accurate with a 1:12 twist. A 1:13 twist is the standard for Palma rifles shooting their 145 to 155 grain bullets out at 3000 fps for long range competition.

So yes, a .30-06 with a 1:12 twist will do just fine with 165's. It may not be fast enough for long, heavy, bullets over 200 grains, but such is life.””

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
profibrahim

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you