Wild hog meat… do you eat it or is it too risky?

Eat 'em all. Here is a boar I shot during the summer in Florida. Qtr and keep on ice for a week, drain daily. Pic is deboned ham I smoked. Amazing. Anyone that does not like cannot cook. LOL
IMG_7403.jpeg
IMG_7554.jpeg

Last edited:
Makes great pulled pork as well. Proper cleaning and cooking it to recommended temperatures assures it's safe.

For some it's the taste they don't agree with, for others it's the idea they can't get past.

For a good share of us, wild pig is likely among the safest things we've ingested. :A Outta:

All pork can contain parasites including the ones you get from the grocery store. But cooked properly its totally safe and tasty.

My plan is to use my “wildebeest” arrows… I built a couple of dozen 605gr sticks that I took to South Africa last year for heavier plains game… they’re tipped with single bevel 2 blade fixed broadheads.. I can get them up to about 255 FPS with my bow (Hoyt axius ultra)…

Probably overkill for most hogs… I got total
Pass through on a really big wildebeest back in July at about 20 yards with the arrow continuing for another 20 yards after it left the animal..

But I’ve got a bunch of them built and ready to go… so I figure I’ll give them a workout (assuming the pigs play along this year),,,
Hogs have a "plate" on the shoulder with makes it difficult for arrow penetration. Best to shoot quartering away just a touch back from the shoulder area or at the front of the ribs. Happy hunting.

Man, I smoke probably 15-20 a year. I actually prefer a 200-250 lb boar. They are much better than a run down sow that has been nursing. If I walk up on one that has weak hams and not enough fat I leave it for the scavengers. I have converted fur lined panty wearing women in my neighborhood who would never eat wild game to come knock on the door when they see the smoke plume from my smoker. :)

IMG_6649.jpeg
IMG_6651.jpeg
IMG_6650.jpeg
IMG_6654.jpeg
IMG_6658.jpeg
IMG_6645.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Man, I smoke probably 15-20 a year. I actually prefer a 200-250 lb boar. They are much better than a run down sow that has been nursing. If I walk up on one that has weak hams and not enough fat I leave it for the scavengers. I have converted fur lined panty wearing women in my neighborhood who would never eat wild game to come knock on the door when they see the smoke plume from my smoker. :)
Nothing eats better then a pregnant sow or a 6 month old pregnant shoat about 60 lbs
cooked in the BBQ pit

Eat them with grad joy.

But maybe therws a difference betwenns the hogs we have. Who are hard tp hunt and roam free and the things ypu have in the us where you can walk up to them and looks like you can get so close you could club em ;)

Nothing eats better then a pregnant sow or a 6 month old pregnant shoat about 60 lbs
True. As long as she is fat. I’ve just noticed when they are nursing and getting run down they aren’t the best for the pit.

Oh, and here is a friendly word of caution. If you are cooking/smoking them, you better learn where each and every lymph node is and remove them. :)

True. As long as she is fat. I’ve just noticed when they are nursing and getting run down they aren’t the best for the pit.

Oh, and here is a friendly word of caution. If you are cooking/smoking them, you better learn where each and every lymph node is and remove them. :)
Yep trim off with a filet knife
IMG_0865.png

This was the largest wild boar I’ve ever shot, killed in Northern California. The scale only went to to 325 lbs and it was pegged out so not sure his exact weight, between 325-400 I’m guessing.

Most was ground into breakfast sausage and hot links but we cooked the pork tenderloins in an instant pot pressure cooker with cream of mushroom soup and lots of portabella mushrooms, delicious!

IMG_1387.jpeg
IMG_0126.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have only killed one pig and that was a very very big boar in SW New Mexico. We got it home and butchered and in freezers. When we tried to cook it the meat stunk so bad you couldnt stand to be in the kitchen. We tried several different cuts and they were all the same. He ended up as a bait pile for coyotes.

European wild boar is excellent.
But for each one shot, a sample is sent to vet office, to check for trichinosis.

Feral hogs, anywhere I never had a chance to try.

So, shoot the hog, send the sample to vet to check for trichinosis, and enjoy your meal later. No problem.

Trichinosis is also frequently found in brown bears.
My mother was a health officer after WW2. I remember her saying that pork had to be well cooked owing to Thrichinosis. When I had to fend for myself in the big bad world I couldn’t believe how big a pork loin was ! She cooked them to death !” Bien cuis “was her expression,well cooked. To death I think now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JacquieLon

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.