Why would an outfitters trophy fee list be higher?...

This is why you don't see Zimbabwe or Tanzania auction hunts. Only RSA/Namibia type hunts.

Why? Because when you own the animals and you own the lodge/concession, you can do whatever floats your boat. Yes, there are some generous souls out there that donate hunts where you actually got a thing of value in RSA, but usually its the biggest friggin scam on the planet. A great many of the auction hunts are of negative value, forget even "free" and ignoring you "bid" a lot to win the thing of negative value. Jacked up daily rates is one popular hustle. Another is crazy trophy fees. Another is forced to use their terrible and exorbitant taxidermy and dip-pack. Another is that any guest or buddy pays 2x. Another is the death-by-a-thousand-surcharges hustle.

The wilderness countries never get the advertising that the RSA auction hunts do because the operators cannot afford to legitimately donate $10,000-$20,000, and a donation in Zim or Tanzania is exactly the same as handing the charity a suitcase of real cash. The operator has to pay real fees of real substance and they operate on a 10%-20% profit margin over the entire hunt, whereas in RSA they can be operating in a 90%+ margin.

I've paid for four kudus over the years, the prices were all in the $1400-$1800 price range, but even $2000 isn't price gouging. Same story for eland. But the sliding-sale high fence prices in this thread seem insane to me.

For what these guys are going to spend in RSA you could legit hunt an open range country for twice the duration of time with twice the number of animals.
Sir It would be great if you talked facts not just what you want to see or hear. Sci and dsc both had more then a few hunts on auction from zimbabwe , moz , zamibia and tanzania. We all know were you like to hunt but no need to always try and bring down other places.

Sir It would be great if you talked facts not just what you want to see or hear. Sci and dsc both had more then a few hunts on auction from zimbabwe , moz , zamibia and tanzania. We all know were you like to hunt but no need to always try and bring down other places.

The other nations are few and far between at auctions my friend, particularly "all inclusive full hunt value" donations. It's just not practical. I've looked at the accountants financial statements for a few operators and there just isn't enough profit whether Net or Gross to donate things of great value. Asking a Zambian, Moz, Zim, or Tanzanian operator for a hunt donation is saying "go get $20,000-$60,000 in cold hard US cash, pay the government their fees, and then host a client for us for free". It's really hard to do.

In RSA, and to a much lesser extent in Namibia, the game belongs to the landowner and as such, the game may have had zero cost to grow and develop. The most generous RSA donor is donating something of value, but of little to no "hard costs out of pocket". That's the best of RSA donors. The worst of donors are predatory, creating the illusion of value that is often predatory in nature and in the long-run, damages the operator, the customer, and the charity involved. This is why AH does such a good job reminding members to request price sheets and to a thorough due diligence prior to bidding.

This isn't an attack on RSA, this is an attack on dishonest advertising. I once won a Canada Black Bear Hunt at a conservation raffle. Nowhere in the package details (and I paid a lot, as in full retail, $3500 for the hunt) did it say I had to bring a buddy, only that it was some odd charge like $4000 additional, plus I was later informed that I had to bring a buddy, that fuel charges and boat usage was extra, and a bear processing fee, and and and. I went, covering some of the buddies costs as well so I wasn't pushing a scam upon them inequitably, and I did get my bear. 14 others at camp were not so lucky, and the outfitter quit in the middle of the hunt stranding a dozen people in the hands of one assistant. The operator subsequently was sued and run out of business several times I believe, but they continue to operate "cast and blast" packages out of Michigan I believe.

Every hunting package must be evaluated carefully and reference checking is a very wise choice as well. Caveat emptor cannot be stated strongly enough.

I prefer to negotiate my very best deal directly with known operators and donate cash to charities so I can distinguish capitalism from charity clearly in my own head. YMMV.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marplot

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois