Why was the bring back Von Gruff thread deleted?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited:
+1. Sounds like a villain in a James Bond movie. I'm scared now. LOL
Write a script and we'll get it to Hollywood. They'll need ideas after the writers strike.

This I can laugh at whole heartedly.
(By the way, do not lump me in with this Muppet. I take offence easily not that note. ) Note: Proper English spelling being used in my culture. :)

Agreed, how Canada decided to trade down from Harper to that piece of pond scum is mind boggling.

I VOLUNTEER my time to moderate here on AH, attempting to foster a positive atmosphere where like minded people from around the world can share their interests. That positive environment is what attracted me to the community that Jerome created years ago.

It is a challenge to bring multiple cultures together from around the world. Combine that with language and the fact some people are more skilled/gifted authors than others and thus communicate more or less effectively with the written word can cause issues to arise. Misunderstandings occur more often in a vacuum where people fail to obtain information from all sources before broadcasting their conclusions. It happens here all too often.

Operating a busy website is not free, most people have come to understand that. The internet is not free. Great websites require significant time and resources to develop and maintain quality and relevance. Much more than most people understand really.
Members wanting to generously help others in need is something I appreciate here on AH. That culture is important and in trying to use AH as a positive vehicle to that end, members make "simple" requests that may not be accommodated as easily as they might think.

I'd encourage any member to gain clarification directly from the sources before getting too twisted.
In the not to distant past an ex-member decided to spew abuse on the internet about Jerome and calling Jerome "Un-American" (Typical troll speak for anyone not agreeing with the troll). The ex-member did not appreciate being banned apparently.

On that note for my own concerns: I am tired of the angry troll behaviour appearing here on AH. It only fosters more of the same. As the "Ice Cuban", I have provided @WillMFerguson a short vacation from this private enterprise. If the troll posting continues after the vacation, I'll make the vacation permanent.

Free speech does not mean you can be a rude prick and say anything you want. Consider that before posting.
This is one of the more civil forums on the web. Thanks for helping keep the peace.

As a Canadian I thought it was hilarious if applied to Canada’s current PM as it speaks to the speculation of his true parentage. It is totally inappropriate when applied to Brickburn or any of the other Canadian members of this site.
AHA!!

I guess we sometimes get carried away with our opinions and talk, I know I am guilty of same. I have to step back sometimes before making a complete ass of myself, sometimes I miss the mark anyway.
Such is life.

I guess we sometimes get carried away with our opinions and talk, I know I am guilty of same. I have to step back sometimes before making a complete ass of myself, sometimes I miss the mark anyway.
Such is life.

Especially in the evening after a bourbon or two!

Especially in the evening after a bourbon or two!
I cant even use that for an excuse, one beer a day just before dinner is the full extent of my intake of adult beverages.

So sorry to hear about Vongruff’s thread . I bought 2 knives from the man and the quality was excellent. I also enjoyed the various information that he provided. I always was up to date on that thread.
That being said I have great respect for all those who are responsible for AH and I respect their decisions.

This I can laugh at whole heartedly.
(By the way, do not lump me in with this Muppet. I take offence easily. ) Note: Proper English spelling being used in my culture. :)
An even more compelling montage. :oops:

canada.jpg

As a general rule we in the US, along with sensible people worldwide, believe in free speech. I find it hard to believe a general discussion about the topic at hand violated any site rules and therefore find it off putting that the thread was deleted. If said discussion did in fact violate site rules then why not say so? If the thread was so inflammatory why not address the matter it in a firm and direct manner and be done with it? Simply deleting the thread has a very bad look to it..
I was told this after my thread was deleted. “There will be no discussion on AH regarding Garry or his knives. ”. So hopefully that is a help and won’t get me in any trouble.

I indeed have deleted a couple of recent threads regarding Von Gruff. Garry left our community by his own choice to apparently concentrate on enjoying his retirement according to what he told me.

He has now been contacting members and telling lies about me and our interaction and I won't tolerate any of it! He is very unappreciative in his words and behavior toward me, I have been nothing but kind, generous and polite to him over the last 6 years. I dislike drama and lies and he is bringing both to the members here. There will be no further discussion on AH regarding Garry or his knives.

I don't make my personal business public so all of this conjecture is coming from his version of events which are utterly untrue as I have had members contact me privately about what he is saying.

I have had a lot of contact with Garry and don't believe he has lied to me.
I also state he has not said anything against you personally excepting the fact there has been a disagreement.
He is open about the fact you have had a difference of opinion.

You removed his threads and gave some of his posts a new member name.

I just guessing, but I would bet that his AH EDC knife is going to be just an EDC knife….

It may be deleted or renamed, depends how he handles it I guess.

As a general rule we in the US, along with sensible people worldwide, believe in free speech. I find it hard to believe a general discussion about the topic at hand violated any site rules and therefore find it off putting that the thread was deleted.
Free speech does not apply on public messaging platforms, internet or media.
All space on internet is private, and there the rules established by owner apply.

That being said, I was not following the subject thread which was deleted. I have no idea what happened except by trying to figure out by reading between the lines here

But in years since I joined the forum, I estimate that there was a very good dose of free speech allowed on the forum, which made this forum thrive.
Despite the fact that this forum is financed by sponsors, negative reports on sponsors were also allowed, and they - the sponsors - were given the fair chance to clear up the matters.

There were few other situations, that I remember historically here that were not handled "perfectly", but who ever said, forum, or the world, or people, or internet are perfect? In my view this forum runs in the best possible course. (mainly thanks to Brickburn and Jerome)

@mark-hunter
Thanks for reiterating what has already been stated 4-5 times in this thread. Yet another thing I love about the internet- repetition. :cautious:

When I used the term “free speech” in my OP I was alluding to the fact that if an individual has a strong personal belief in said term then that belief will be reflected in their actions.

That is the context in which I made that statement and I stand by it.

I saw nothing in the deleted thread that, IMHO, warranted that deletion. I think the rule that was violated was “There will be no further discussion on AH regarding Garry or his knives”. Which we very well may all be violating by continuing this discussion (regardless of our opinions)..

That’s fine. I realize that this is a private enterprise and that I don’t make the rules. I just thought that the situation needed addressed publicly for everyone.

In fact, I would go so far as to say that there was nothing that was said in the deleted thread that hasn’t been said in this one..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RosettaMar

Latest profile posts

Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?
ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary [redacted]
Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg
Unforgettable memories of my first hunting safari with Arub Safaris in Namibia (Khomas Hochland) !!!

Namibia.jpg
Oryx.jpg
Kudu.jpg
ghay wrote on Joel Rouvaldt's profile.
Love your rifle! I'm needing a heavier rifle for Africa. Sold my .375 Dakota Safari several trips ago. Would you have any interest in a trade of some sort involving the custom 338/06 I have listed here on the site ( I have some room on my asking price. I also have a large quantity of the reloading components and new Redding dies as well as a box of A-Square Dead Tough ammo.