Why avoid Hornady DG bullets and ammunition?

I was stating that is more than likely the reasoning behind said yardage as you had made that point.
You will probably know better than I on this particular subject but I believe it is temperature dependent to get that chemical reaction is it not? (Question not being a smart ass)

Where I was going with that, and I could be dead ass wrong if I am please correct me, no matter what process is used it is some form of chemical reaction that is temperature dependent. I believe, this is an assumption and I have no hard evidence to support this, that Hornady has serious quality control issues for this process which may be the explanation for the varying results. That's the conclusion that I have come to through my experience and from the outside looking in.

DGX isn't bonded....it's a traditional cup and core.
 
I think this is the point we've all been making! Yes, the bullet can kill. Only a deaf and blind person would argue otherwise. But it doesn't seem to reliably penetrate. And it's that reliability most of us (all of us?) are looking for in a dangerous game cartridge, and it's that reliability which Hornady doesn't deliver, notwithstanding the name of the cartridge.

I'd disagree...I think they are boringly predictable depending on MV...pretty much like all expanding bullets.
 
Where I was going with that, and I could be dead ass wrong if I am please correct me, no matter what process is used it is some form of chemical reaction that is temperature dependent. I believe, this is an assumption and I have no hard evidence to support this, that Hornady has serious quality control issues for this process which may be the explanation for the varying results. That's the conclusion that I have come to through my experience and from the outside looking in.

On some level it certainly must involve a reaction between the core and the jacket, and I'm not aware of any bonding process which doesn't involve heat, but this is definitely not an area which is a specialty (of mine).
 
I'd disagree...I think they are boringly predictable depending on MV...pretty much like all expanding bullets.
This I do disagree with and I feel my pictures are proof of that especially considering 1 DGX passed through. It obviously held together and penetrated enough to make it completely through the lion. Now that being said o can't say for absolute certainty to the exact inch it struck other than in the shoulder area. It is quite possible it didn't meet as much resistance therefore it had the opportunity to penetrate farther but we will never know for certain on that.
 
This I do disagree with and I feel my pictures are proof of that especially considering 1 DGX passed through. It obviously held together and penetrated enough to make it completely through the lion. Now that being said o can't say for absolute certainty to the exact inch it struck other than in the shoulder area. It is quite possible it didn't meet as much resistance therefore it had the opportunity to penetrate farther but we will never know for certain on that.

I'd say you just answered your own question!
 
I'd say you just answered your own question!
The fact of the matter is, again one of my main points, out of 5 DGX rounds fired all of which were hits in the same area 4/5 penetrated no more than 5 inches. This is completely unacceptable in the realms of DG ammo. A varmint round would be the only ammo I can think of that this would be acceptable performance on.
 
Have a good night Gizmo...I'm out!
 
On some level it certainly must involve a reaction between the core and the jacket, and I'm not aware of any bonding process which doesn't involve heat, but this is definitely not an area which is a specialty (of mine).

The reaction likely causes heat but I don't believe heat is required for it to occur but I could be wrong as well but neither of the bullets in question are bonded. It is quite corrosive though and have seem some bad examples of plastic tips being compromised when bonding chemical was not properly neutralized.
 
16 pages in and still going like a boeing...

Up to now, and I can't recall every post in the thread, but no one has posted a situation where the DGX / DGS has performed perfectly.
No one put a post on here to say these things are great and the best thing out??? :A Stirring:
:A Bang Head:
I am :A Outta: now
 
16 pages in and still going like a boeing...

Up to now, and I can't recall every post in the thread, but no one has posted a situation where the DGX / DGS has performed perfectly.
No one put a post on here to say these things are great and the best thing out??? :A Stirring:
:A Bang Head:
I am :A Outta: now
I think two fellows had good luck with them on a buff Velo Dog being one. His was unique though as the rifle/cartridge combo he was using kept the bullet within acceptable velocity to keep the bullet from blowing up.
 
16 pages in and still going like a boeing...

Up to now, and I can't recall every post in the thread, but no one has posted a situation where the DGX / DGS has performed perfectly.
No one put a post on here to say these things are great and the best thing out??? :A Stirring:
:A Bang Head:
I am :A Outta: now

Velo Dog and Tomahaker had pretty perfect results....very dead animals in very short order. Pretty much what we ask of a bullet.
 
DGX isn't bonded....it's a traditional cup and core.
Yes sir but the DGS is supposed to be is it not? Again question


http://www.hornady.com/store/DGX


"The DGX® bullet incorporates our patented InterLock® feature that locks the core and jacket together, improving retained weight of the expanded bullet."

Screenshot (322).png
 
Last edited by a moderator:
"The DGX® bullet incorporates our patented InterLock® feature that locks the core and jacket together, improving retained weight of the expanded bullet."

Exactly....it's not a bonded bullet!
 
Exactly....it's not a traditional cup and core bullet!
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,313
Messages
1,572,567
Members
169,586
Latest member
MichaelaTo
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top