Why all the 6.5 Creedmoor Hate?

Some people will always despise what is new because it is cool to hate what is new. That said, the 6.5 CM has been around long enough for anybody whom wants to give it a chance to have a go at it. My favorite rifles are chambered in 6.5 CM and 6.5x55. I’m extremely satisfied with the way those rifles have performed. I’m also happy with my 308s, 257 WMs, 300 WMs, 6.8 SPCs, 30-06s and well, you get the picture. Heck, I’ve even come to love my little 30” BLK and I was an avowed 300 BLK hater for a loooooooong time.

No cartridge is perfect, but many are great for multiple uses. The 6.5 CM falls into that category. It does a lot of things extremely well. It’s not at the top of my list for a grizzly cartridge, but it kills the absolute crap out of pigs and deer and that’s about all I hunt.
The 6.5 cm is far from new, it took awhile to catch on. I know how many times or how we say it that we say it’s the hype we don’t like, some just hear l hate the cm. That kinda proves the point.

Yeah, Bob is still working on his .35BNE (Banzai Nelson Express) wildcat and trying to find more 7.7 Jap brass to neck up and finding someone to make a set of dies. So, he needs to focus on that one first before venturing into the Creedmoor abyss. LOL
I hear Bob is going to New Guinea & the Solomon islands with a metal detector to try & find some Arisakas as they will handle the pressures of his new wild cat :).

I've been watching this on GB............must resist.........

1672923709865.png

I hear Bob is going to New Guinea & the Solomon islands with a metal detector to try & find some Arisakas as they will handle the pressures of his new wild cat :).
I'll bet he could find some still in their crates in some of the caves on the Marshall Islands? If not, there should be a few banging around (pun intended) OZ for sale?

Wow! AND chambered in the HOLY GRAIL of cartridges at that price? Buy it NOW!
I contacted the seller because there was conflicting info in the ad. The headline states that it's a HS Precision stock, but elsewhere in the description they say it's a Hogue overmolded stock. They replied and stated that it says Hogue Overmolded on the box. So the headline is inaccurate, misleading and just plain wrong.

@rdog
I think they would just be piles of rust by now.
Bob
Yes Bob they would be , i have a friend a construction engineer who worked in the Gilbert Islands in the 1970s they dug up stuff nealy every day both US & Jap & had both Governments involved with the human remains , & unexploded ordnance most was dumped into the sea. He
was building water supply & sewer for the Island of Tawawa.

Last edited:
Just a another bit of the story about the construction on Tawawa, the construction man Bill, tells is they uncovered a bunker with some skeletons of Japs in it still dressed for battle , his boss at the time an Englishman did not want to get any body involved as it would hold up the project, Bill got the island natives to take one of the skeletons put it in a sand bag & complete with equipment rifle helmet ect & sit it up in the corner of his bosses office one night, he said that got the right results next day.

Yes Bob they would be , i have a friend a construction engineer who worked in the Gilbert Islands in the 1970s they dug up stuff nealy every day both US & Jap & had both Governments involved with the human remains , & unexploded ordnance most was dumped into the sea. He
was building water supply & sewer for the Island of Tawawa.
When I was in elementary school, I went to a friend's home a couple of blocks away. In the sandbox, was a completely rusted Japanese machine gun. I'm sure his old man had brought it home from WW2 as a souvenir.

Considering the 6.5 Swede has been around since the 1880s, it’s safe to say the gun writers touting the 6.5cm are whores and puppets of the manufacturers. Let’s put it another way. How come so called knowledgeable gun writers just discovered how great the 6.5 is ? Have they been asleep for the last 140 years? What a farce these writers and their hype are. Lol

Last edited:
Being a dealer in Europe - have seen the 6.5 CM obsession - with the inevitable crash as ammo is expensive and hard to find - take a few calls a week regarding this - I only stock PPU so no CM
then the question can I rechamber to 6.5x55 nope - what can I do with my rifle - the marginal gains over 6.5x55 make purchasing one not the most intel !

Every DG calibre was perfected before WW1

Every plains game before WW2

With the exception of 17HMR nothing of interest has been developed since!

Sadly it is all about marketing and hype to sell much inferior weapons to those produced in the 60's and 70's - many of which turn up in mint condition today representing a bargain for the quality and finish compared to currently produced weapons where the marketing budget per rifle has stolen the quality !

Being a dealer in Europe - have seen the 6.5 CM obsession - with the inevitable crash as ammo is expensive and hard to find - take a few calls a week regarding this - I only stock PPU so no CM
then the question can I rechamber to 6.5x55 nope - what can I do with my rifle - the marginal gains over 6.5x55 make purchasing one not the most intel !

Every DG calibre was perfected before WW1

Every plains game before WW2

With the exception of 17HMR nothing of interest has been developed since!

Sadly it is all about marketing and hype to sell much inferior weapons to those produced in the 60's and 70's - many of which turn up in mint condition today representing a bargain for the quality and finish compared to currently produced weapons where the marketing budget per rifle has stolen the quality !
@Odinsraven I have no doubt what you say about ammo availability in Europe is like. The 6.5x55 is probably very common, as are others (7x57) that are not common in the US.

However, in the US, the CM is very, very common now. For instance, Midway USA lists 89 varieties for the CM and 19 for the Swede. BTW, I have 2 Swedes and no CM (yet). But for a US hunter, the CM is not a bad choice. I am actually thinking about buying one for a grandson.

And your statement about every PG caliber before WW2 is debatable. The 7mm RM, 300 WM and 338 WM are all newer and very interesting.

indeed regarding availability for 6.5x55 and 7x57

With regard to the calibres mentioned - nothing that has not been done before - 300 win mag 30 super or 300 HH 338 win mag use a 375hh - 7mm Rem mag is a fine round but many others will cover the same ground and certainly in Europe where ranges are shorter -

I have always been intrigued by the statement flat shooting round - as we have range finders that will instantly tell us within a few inches the distance - I feel they negate the need for flat shooting as range estimation has gone the way of the Doddo - so 7x57 or 7x64 - or to translate to Merican 270 Win - kinda nails it - similar with the 30 cals and such - Just my observations.
Was a few years ago in camp and this dude was using bla bla bla magnum something in 7mm ... he was having an awful time - lent him my 7x57 - guy was delighted and nailed everything on his list !

Sometimes less is more !

The advantages of the 6.5 Creedmoor and other "new" cartridges has very little to do with improvement in the cartridge design and everything to do with the barrel design. Standard cartridges were designed for standard bullets- bullets that used rifling twists of 1-10" or slower. New cartridges are using bullets of new design in that they have a lot of length to bore to gain high ballistic coefficients and thus need fast twists of 1-7". For the new cartridges (6.5CM) the barrels are 1-7".

I suspect if you had a match grade 1-7" twist barrel chambered for 6.5 x 55mm that it would be very competitive against the 6.5 CMs.

The 6.5s . I fell in love with the 6.5x55 in the late 1970s when lots of near mint Swed M96 & M38
Mausers were avail in Australia we Sportized these i must have done 4 M38s , moved on to a 260 REM
Ruger M77 mk2 then built a 6.5 Grendel ,then a 6.5 CM . The CM was designed for long range target
shooting , its attributes are in its case design it fits into a short action , it does not require trimming as
often as the 243 Win, 260 REM, 7MM/08 due to its shoulder angle its a very efficient cartridge & with
140 + grain bullets has low recoil & good barrel life . i own 3 6.5x55s a 6.5 CM a 6.5 Grendel & a 260 REM . The problem is the Tactical boys who are obsessed with the 6.5 CM & shoot steel out to 1000 meters do not realise
it runs out of energy for hunting at about 500 meters as do the other 6.5 in cases with about 43 grains of propellant that is why we now have the 6.5 PRC ,6.5 Weatherby & 6.5 Nosler . these are hard on barrels & have heaver recoil .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillieBurk

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg