Who sits in a blind every day?

IA Monsterbuck

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
USA, Canada
I am heading out for my first African hunt next month. I will be bringing my bow and hunting plains game in South Africa on a 10 day hunt with Limcroma Safaris.

The thing is I'm starting to have some reservations about bow hunting and sitting in a blind all the time. I bow hunt from treestands all the time at home and have no problem sitting in trees several days but I never have really enjoyed sitting in blinds as much, probably because the visibility is so much more limited.

My concern is that as a bow hunter my best chance of connecting on game will be from a blind. I have very limited experience spot and stalk hunting with my bow. But I'm afraid that I will not get the full experience of hunting in Africa if sitting in a blind every day.

I'm considering bow hunting from blinds part of the time and maybe borrowing a gun from the outfitter and doing some spot and stalk hunting part of the time as well. As I read hunt reports on here I enjoy the stories of driving around seeing the countryside in search of game then formulating a plan and making a move after spotting a good animal. I haven't read many hunt reports detailing the excitement of shooting an animal out of the window of a blind.

Is it just me? Has any other bow hunters out there had these feelings? Have many of you split time between a bow and a rifle?

You will see so much game and have numerous opportunities that almost come together or do, that you won't be bored!

Have many of you split time between a bow and a rifle?

Certainly have split time on some hunts.
Days when lots of critters come into the blind will be exciting. The slower days, not so much.
Change it up and see how you feel.
Try spot and stalk with the bow and th rifle.
Have fun.

You will see more game out of the blinds there then hunting here at home. I think you will be plenty happy hunting out of the blind but it does stop you from seeing more of the areas they have to hunt. It you want to learn how to stalk better I would say SA is the place to try it. You blow a stalk there and it is no big deal really as you will get another chance at something.

I would say hunt a few days and see how it goes first. If you decide you want to hunt another way they will make it happen I am sure. Enjoy it all and make it a fun trip that works for you as your time goes switch as you want.

I'd give spot and stalk a try as well

I've done both and I really enjoy my time in the blind. I wouldn't want to only sit a blind, but my time in Africa isn't just about hunting: it is also vacation time. Bring a Kindle or a book, some snacks and drinks, binoculars, and it is pretty relaxing.

All of the above. I'd especially give spot/stalk a go if the weather has the animals not moving and in the thick stuff. It happens and you may have a day or two that you'd prefer to watch paint dry then sit in the blind.

I love it all. But a few things will help the time in hide go by quicker:

Wilbur Smith book(s). - paperback preferred
Small journal and pen/pencils
Good camera
Good video camera
Small tripod
Pre loaded strategy/word games on your phone
Pocket knife to whittle and what not
Big fluffy socks to wear (as i like to remove my shoes)

I'm not so much worried about passing time in the blind. I'll sit in a tree stand from before daylight till dark which is usually about 10 hours or so in November. I just don't want to miss anything.

I think moving around and hunting different blinds or hides will help but if I get the itch to get out of the blind and see more of the country I may choose to take a day or two and go out looking for game rather than waiting for them to come to me.

I would do both to get a bit more out of your African experience.

Reactions: TOM
I'm not so much worried about passing time in the blind. I'll sit in a tree stand from before daylight till dark which is usually about 10 hours or so in November. I just don't want to miss anything.

I think moving around and hunting different blinds or hides will help but if I get the itch to get out of the blind and see more of the country I may choose to take a day or two and go out looking for game rather than waiting for them to come to me.

I hear ya. My first trip to Africa (bow only) was in a blind every day. Saw LOTS of critters and took quite a few. Second trip, most of the time in a blind. We did try a little spot and stalk, but none of which was successful. I wasn't surprised as I'm not particularly good at spot and stalk. But, I definitely feel like I'm missing out on something by seeing Africa (which I'm fascinated with) through a 'hole in a tent'. I don't hunt with a gun much anymore, but I do miss creeping up to a ridge and glassing the other side. This is especially true in Africa where I really want to see the country. Sooooo, next trip over (July 2018) I will spend a few days in the blind to get some of the more challenging animals on my list in the salt and then split my time between the blind and spot and stalk.

I would tell you to give your Ph and heads up either way. Will help them make a good plan and he may have some ideas for you also. Get some idea from him what distance shots maybe be if you walk and stalk with bow. Also so they know you may want to rent a gun as the area maybe different for rifle hunting as well.

Me myself on a 10 day hunt would do at least 3 days out of the blind to see more. I hope you have a great hunt no matter what way you pick.

As with my trip to Namibia in 2011 (wow that long ago ? ) We did it all , walk and stalk , blinds and elevated stands .... just tell your PH what know you expect or prefer ... Good luck and play safe !
Glen

I'm not qualified to answer because I have never bow hunted... But I did just buy my first bow, primarily because the hunting seasons are so much more favorable to bow hunters here in MN.

However from my rifle hunting experience in Africa, I would strongly suggest discussing this well ahead of time with your outfitter and PH. They may need time to plan ahead and may not allow rifle hunting on the same places they bow hunt.

I would add, in my first 24 hours (starting with the drive into camp night before) on my first hunt, we saw and documented 20 different species. And in 9 days hunted 3 very different regions of the EC of SA... And saw a very wide variety of game and non game animals, birds, even reptiles.

Whatever you decide to do, you will remember not only the sights, but the sounds and smells of the bush... You are bound to have a memorable trip either way;)

You most likely wont sit in the blind all day anyhow. Almost all operators have take a mid day break from the blind which you could use to drive around and spot game. The other thing is african animals are not like north american animals, you wont find them out at waterholes at daylight generally. They like it to warm up a bit first it seems.

@IA Monsterbuck ,

You have already received some excellent insight to your inquiry. As some folks have mentioned, hunting from the hides in Africa is very different from hunting in a hide, blind, or stand in North America, with the primary difference being the sheer number of animals and variety of species that you will encounter. In the dry months, when a visit to water is a matter of survival, those hides will be busy all day long. I doubt you will go more than 5-10 minutes without some species of bird, rodent, varmint, predator, or plainsgame animal coming in to drink, or investigate. It is not unusual to see 10-20 different species and scores of animals in a half-day session in a hide. Additionally, most of our permanent hides are designed specifically for maximum comfort and visibility while still offering the necessary concealment. As @TOM mentioned, the usual plan on safari is to hunt a morning session and then an afternoon session in the hides with a short siesta around lunchtime. The exceptions to this being an animal down or a special set up for a particularly elusive animal where you and your PH may pack a bush lunch and plan for an all-day sit.

At Limcroma, most of our bow hunting guests have a "wish list" of a variety of animals that they want to pursue, and a set amount of time to hunt. Given those two variables alone, the best chance for opportunity will come from hunting the hides, blinds, and stands over water, minerals, etc., which will offer the most activity for bow hunters. That said, your PH will be happy to hunt in any variety of ways that you wish to try. As a bow hunter at Limcroma, you can expect to hunt from any number of permanent hides, elevated hides, tree stands, pop-up blinds, and brush blinds depending on the conditions and the species that you are hunting. Additionally, we encourage spot & stalking for bow hunters, and we will stalk as much as you prefer as long as you are up to the added challenge that stalking presents. You will see lots of game and have opportunity for sure, but the level of challenge will be significantly higher. If our guests are up to the challenge, so are we.

As to your concern about the "excitement level" from shooting an animal through the window of a hide, I can assure you from many hours of personal experience that the adrenaline will pour through your veins when that animal of your dreams finally steps into view and offers that perfect broadside shot...! It's hard to describe the emotional highs and lows you will experience in anticipation for that particular animal to finally present a shot after being covered up in the herd, or staging just out of bow range sometimes hours before finally coming to water. There have been dozens of encounters where I have had to draw and let down multiple times because the window of opportunity opened and closed within seconds. I can also tell you about how your heart will sink, and you feel like you are going to be sick because the animal that you have been waiting on for days finally comes into view and then bolts because the wind that has been in your face all day swirled just as you went to draw, or the kudu cow that keeps staring at the hide blew at you when she caught your shadow in the window. Hunting from the hide is never as easy as it often appears to be.!

We also commonly accommodate guests who wish to hunt with both rifle and bow. There is no problem whatsoever accommodating your wishes to mix it up while on safari with us. I do agree that it is a good idea to give the outfitter a head's up if you would like to hunt with both gun and bow, and add some stalking so they can prepare a game plan accordingly. If you decide on adding some of these options to your safari, you can send an email to office@limcroma.com and let Amanda know your wishes so she can add them to your file. Also, please feel free to contact me anytime with any questions pertaining to the Limcroma experience. I would be happy to help if I can.

Regards, Dan

@IA Monsterbuck ,

You have already received some excellent insight to your inquiry. As some folks have mentioned, hunting from the hides in Africa is very different from hunting in a hide, blind, or stand in North America, with the primary difference being the sheer number of animals and variety of species that you will encounter. In the dry months, when a visit to water is a matter of survival, those hides will be busy all day long. I doubt you will go more than 5-10 minutes without some species of bird, rodent, varmint, predator, or plainsgame animal coming in to drink, or investigate. It is not unusual to see 10-20 different species and scores of animals in a half-day session in a hide. Additionally, most of our permanent hides are designed specifically for maximum comfort and visibility while still offering the necessary concealment. As @TOM mentioned, the usual plan on safari is to hunt a morning session and then an afternoon session in the hides with a short siesta around lunchtime. The exceptions to this being an animal down or a special set up for a particularly elusive animal where you and your PH may pack a bush lunch and plan for an all-day sit.

At Limcroma, most of our bow hunting guests have a "wish list" of a variety of animals that they want to pursue, and a set amount of time to hunt. Given those two variables alone, the best chance for opportunity will come from hunting the hides, blinds, and stands over water, minerals, etc., which will offer the most activity for bow hunters. That said, your PH will be happy to hunt in any variety of ways that you wish to try. As a bow hunter at Limcroma, you can expect to hunt from any number of permanent hides, elevated hides, tree stands, pop-up blinds, and brush blinds depending on the conditions and the species that you are hunting. Additionally, we encourage spot & stalking for bow hunters, and we will stalk as much as you prefer as long as you are up to the added challenge that stalking presents. You will see lots of game and have opportunity for sure, but the level of challenge will be significantly higher. If our guests are up to the challenge, so are we.

As to your concern about the "excitement level" from shooting an animal through the window of a hide, I can assure you from many hours of personal experience that the adrenaline will pour through your veins when that animal of your dreams finally steps into view and offers that perfect broadside shot...! It's hard to describe the emotional highs and lows you will experience in anticipation for that particular animal to finally present a shot after being covered up in the herd, or staging just out of bow range sometimes hours before finally coming to water. There have been dozens of encounters where I have had to draw and let down multiple times because the window of opportunity opened and closed within seconds. I can also tell you about how your heart will sink, and you feel like you are going to be sick because the animal that you have been waiting on for days finally comes into view and then bolts because the wind that has been in your face all day swirled just as you went to draw, or the kudu cow that keeps staring at the hide blew at you when she caught your shadow in the window. Hunting from the hide is never as easy as it often appears to be.!

We also commonly accommodate guests who wish to hunt with both rifle and bow. There is no problem whatsoever accommodating your wishes to mix it up while on safari with us. I do agree that it is a good idea to give the outfitter a head's up if you would like to hunt with both gun and bow, and add some stalking so they can prepare a game plan accordingly. If you decide on adding some of these options to your safari, you can send an email to office@limcroma.com and let Amanda know your wishes so she can add them to your file. Also, please feel free to contact me anytime with any questions pertaining to the Limcroma experience. I would be happy to help if I can.

Regards, Dan
Great response, thank you.

I'm going to Limcroma in 2018 and I can tell you for sure that Dan (firehuntfish) is exceptional with answering questions and being overall helpful and friendly. 359 days to go! You are going to have the time of your life! :)

I completely understand your concerns, as I am in a very similar situation. we only have 2 days left before we board our plane to Limcroma for 11 Days of hunting.
For me, I have always dreamed of the excitement of hunting all day over a waterhole in South Africa. But I do not plan on doing it 11 straight days. I understand this could likely be my one chance to fully experience African hunting and I want to take advantage of every style of hunting that I can.

Please keep an eye out for a full report from me, as I plan to do a video/vlog style report from a 1st time plains game hunter point of view.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GroverGood

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross