AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
MBS, SCI, NRA
Hunted
Limpopo South Africa. US. Maryland. Kentucky. West Virginia. Ohio. Illinois. Pennsylvania. Delaware.
I am interested in hearing from people who purchased floor pedestals from their taxidermists in RSA and had them shipped back to the US in their trophy crates. Did they hold up to shipping? How much did they increase the cost of your shipping? Do you have photos of them in your crate or when taken out? Were they significantly cheaper over there?

I have already examined the "buy them here in the US" route. I am now examining the other side. So not really looking for comments about that.

I've had several. Back in the World before Covid it made sense unless you were making your own or has some great connections to get them done here.

All the ones I had done in South Africa were real decent. One with some fake water (some type of plastic or polymer) had a small crack in that. I had some wine barrels made into bases and they turned out great. But pretty darned heavy. My niece had an ottoman made out of zebra that turned out great. I don't remember the cost exactly but think it was $850 us tanning the hide.

I have bases from Zimbabwe that are superb! Better craftsmen generally than in RSA.

I don't knowcthe cost of shipping the based because it was all together. They were packed very well. Those South African taxidermy shops have some real experts at packing.

However since Covid, shipping has been crazy expensive. I would severely limit the shipping of extras such as bases now, especially if concerned about costs. If I had elephant ivory or maybe even hippo ivory in Zimbabwe, I might have bases made for that by Zimbabwe craftsmen.

African bases.
20200107_091934.jpg
20200107_091241.jpg
20190628_212314.jpg
20221224_150531.jpg
20191216_155925.jpg
20190623_102535.jpg

I had a basic octagon shaped pedestal made for my roan a couple of years ago. When I get home I’ll try to dig up the cost and post a picture of it and a similar pedestal for a sable made here in the states, the wood they used in RSA is beautiful. As said earlier the craters in Africa are masters in utilizing every available square inch of a crate.

The roan pedestal was built inRSA and cost $200 in 2021 and the sable pedestal was built by the Wildlife Gallery in 2014, I can’t find the paper work on it so don’t know how much it cost.
The size of the roan pedestal would fit the sable better and the sable pedestal would probably fit the roan better. I don’t think the pedestal size or weight added a significant amount to the shipping cost.

I don’t think the pictures loaded, I’ll try again when I get a better signal.

The roan pedestal was built inRSA and cost $200 in 2021 and the sable pedestal was built by the Wildlife Gallery in 2014, I can’t find the paper work on it so don’t know how much it cost.
The size of the roan pedestal would fit the sable better and the sable pedestal would probably fit the roan better. I don’t think the pedestal size or weight added a significant amount to the shipping cost.
Please try to post the pics. I'd like to see a $200 RSA Pedestal.

I love that dark wood in the Roan Pedestal. $200 is great!

Yes. Did a double sable, shot in Moz and mounted on a pedestal from RSA taxidermist. Pedestal is perfectly fine. Go for it.

The wine barrels are very cool esp with the shelves built in-love the creativity!
The other one has a door made into it. If you zoom in you can see the latch. It also has shelves inside. I actually like the open shelf one better.

This crate contained, roan, gemsbok, springbok, bushbuck, blesbok shoulder mounts the pedestal for the roan and a full body klipspringer on a wall hanging rock. The roan pedestal was in the empty space behind the roan and was wrapped in bubble wrap.

2A91AE52-B776-4AAA-A897-16E0EF1146B3.jpeg
3C74A3DC-C4B3-4E13-BBC6-2144607A65D4.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RVWClevela

Latest profile posts

EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on MarcoPani's profile.
Happy Birthday, from Grahamstown, South Africa.
I hope your day is great!
Cheers
Marius
EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on Ilkay Taskin's profile.
Happy Birthday from Grahamstown, South Africa! I hope you have a great day!
Cheers, Marius
idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]