Who all is sitting in the woods with a rifle way to big for the critter they are after

Have a friend who takes whitetail deer with his 375H&H because he doesn't like tracking them.
I personally haven't taken any game with anything bigger than a 30 caliber.

Wasn't it Elmer Keith who said he liked to do all his hunting BEFORE the shot ?

Hunted here in NC with my CZ in 500 jeffery with express sights. I just set up like I was bowhunting so I would have a close shot.
Here she is.

20181127_113024_001.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I would love to get into a cull situation like that but we have no evasive species. Almost had a pig problem when a high fence about 20 miles away had several Russian Boar tunnel out.
The local hunters were able to kill them all before they got far or reproduced.
Shawn
I'm not too far from you, living in Northern Virginia.
We have deer like you wouldn't believe, they are a nuisance species.
More are killed by Chevy than CZ around here.
We are allowed 6 a year, but only 2 bucks.
I've hunted a few times on a damage permit to deplete the population near his business (a nursery).
That't pretty much a cull operation, except not allowed to take bucks on the damage permit only doe.

Reactions: Bas
I'm not too far from you, living in Northern Virginia.
We have deer like you wouldn't believe, they are a nuisance species.
More are killed by Chevy than CZ around here.
We are allowed 6 a year, but only 2 bucks.
I've hunted a few times on a damage permit to deplete the population near his business (a nursery).
That't pretty much a cull operation, except not allowed to take bucks on the damage permit only doe.

I live near Morgantown , WV . You are located where in northern Virginia ?

Always

I like North Carolina.

Great state, nice people......even the criminals there say please and thank you.

After hunting from Hobucken to the Tennessee border it is a land of stark contrasts.

Go Tarheels!

I hunt for deer with 9,3x62 or 404Jeffery. I think it's super calibers for a deer.
I often wonder why I do not use 7x57 ?

Had a friend back in 70's and 80's use 7x57 Ruger 77 with great success on whitetails in WV. Probably one of the greatest performing rounds ever considering the recoil being low. Especially with lighter bullets. Eleanor O'Connor (Jack's wife) long ago proved it's effectiveness on varied medium game. Of course you can refer to Karamojo Bell.....

Took my best whitetail on the King Ranch with a Ruger Model 77 in 7x57. Great rifle and caliber.

As I’m typing the sun is coming up on the first day of the antlerless deer season and I find myself sitting in my favorite field with my 375 waiting to flatten a doe. Pic was taken yesterday not as snow covered today.
Shawn

6BF768B9-17FF-4E4B-821F-972B2627AC71.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
6BF768B9-17FF-4E4B-821F-972B2627AC71.jpeg
View attachment 258664 As I’m typing the sun is coming up on the first day of the antlerless deer season and I find myself sitting in my favorite field with my 375 waiting to flatten a doe. Pic was taken yesterday not as snow covered today.
Shawn
I hope your dragging it downhill. :D How's that? Better?

View attachment 258665
I hope your dragging it downhill. :D How's that? Better?
A quick text will have a side by side here in 20 to 30 minutes just enough time to tag and field dress. Sad part is after a week of watching these tender little morsels cross this field today nothing but turkeys. Guess that’s hunting still way better than being at work. Wish the corn was off.
Shawn

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeilaLemie

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg