Whisky appreciation

I've had Pappy 15. I found it great, but very hot. Much hotter than Stagg Jr. even though not nearly the proof. At the absolute criminal rates than any Van Winkle can go for, i would buy something else. (Of course, you said something about the lottery which changes things) The only bourbon that has ever really blown the back of my head off was Eagle Rare 17. Someone bought me a pour and angels starting singing!
I hear you on that I was fortunate enough to have a lot of the van winkle line before it was so popular and expensive. While good it’s hard to justify to myself now. I have not had the Eagle rare 17 but I was blown away by heaven hill 90th anniversary if you like a heavy char it’s pretty damn good
 
20260606_221742.jpg
 
I'm a Balvenie Double Wood as the house scotch (although I am a scotch nerd so have too much). Col. E.H. Taylor on the bourbon.

Pappy is great but over-rated versus cost.
Whoo! EHT is the best for the buck there is IMO. Of course, that is if you can get it at MSRP! Even just the small batch is heads above other price points. The rye is also outstanding...
 
Whoo! EHT is the best for the buck there is IMO. Of course, that is if you can get it at MSRP! Even just the small batch is heads above other price points. The rye is also outstanding...
I love EHT but at 100 for most of the lineup I wish I got more proof for the price…. I can add my own water give me barrel proof strength and charge me accordingly is my thought
 
Barrel Proof EHT is incredible!
 
Whoo! EHT is the best for the buck there is IMO. Of course, that is if you can get it at MSRP! Even just the small batch is heads above other price points. The rye is also outstanding...
Kentucky has had EH Taylor SB, Eagle Rare and Blantons everywhere lately at MSRP thank goodness, Buffalo Trace has been releasing Weller Antique frequently also, plus Weller Single Barrel and CYPB a few times. All goodl, giving the secondary market a big punch in the nose! I agree on EH Taylor, Barrel Proof is a favorite.
 
Sometimes I like a jim beam and water with a couple of rocks. Pretty simple and plain but I enjoy it. Remember times when I was in the service and all I could afford.
 
If you are ever looking for a bargain pour, I'll give you some advice that will make you think I'm card carrying insane.... 90 proof Very Old Bartons. I know Bartons is the cheap ass vodka we used to mix with whatever in college, but this isn't the same. My local shop's owner gave me a bottle to just prove the point. Its got a good char/caramel flavor up front and a just right amount of heat. Its followed up with the oak and sweet coffee notes. I keep it in a decanter for guests. Nobody has ever guessed what it was or not asked for seconds!
 
If i ever win the lottery I would like to try a bottle pappy van winkle. Everything i have read says it's supposed to be amazing. Made by the same people as Buffalo Trace.

We drained a bottle of 23 year pappy at a deal closing years ago. It’s very nice, but there is no way it is worth the price. Stick to Buffalo Trace!
 
A very unique Scottish whiskey is Laphroaig Whiskey. I bought four bottles while in Scotland to give to family and friends.....and me. A very unique smokey peat flavor.
Works well with cream buns, lemon cake and any other sweet items from a bakery OR … just by itself. The standard 10 year old expression is a good starting point. It can be a bit of a shock for people accustomed to heavily sherried whisky from Speyside.
 
Last edited:
If i ever win the lottery I would like to try a bottle pappy van winkle. Everything i have read says it's supposed to be amazing. Made by the same people as Buffalo Trace.
I’ve had all the different Pappy’s, and from different years and will unequivocally say they’re over rated unless you’re getting them for MSRP or someone else is footing the tab. My favorite of them is the Lot B (12 year).

As @Hedge774 said Eagle Rare 17 is a much better spend if wanting to splurge or paying secondary prices. All of the BTAC line in my opinion is a better spend.

If you really want to hear angels sing try the Double Eagle Very Rare. When I lived in Alabama I was able to get a bottle in the ABC Rare Bourbon release at MSRP and sold it for over 5x what I paid on the condition we opened the bottle so I could try it and put a few ounces in a decanter for a special occasion.

Personally I’m a big orphan barrel fan and my All-Time favorite for a special occasion is Old Barterhouse. I like the entire Weller Line, with the Antique (old screw top, store pick NCF) being my #1. I’m also a big EHT fan with Barrel Proof and a few of their more limited releases being top picks.
 
Man... Cigars and Peated Whisky has been a bloody deep rabbit hole....

"As I said to a mate of mine recently:

He that smoketh cigars, drinketh the peaty whisky and shooteth big guns for fun.....

Haseth no money for hunting "

The likes of Kilkerran Heavily Peated and Argberg Uigeadail and always some Caol Ila has been doing the rounds as of late.....
 
We drained a bottle of 23 year pappy at a deal closing years ago. It’s very nice, but there is no way it is worth the price. Stick to Buffalo Trace!
110% my neighbor got into and has the means and we have tried them all. We both agree it is great but not worth the price. We like others equally as well for massively less cost.
 
We have a 30 year supply of bourbon in the state right now. It seems like everything is on sale.
@BourbonTrail: guess there’s too just many “Health minded” people around. I will have to notice if prices start dropping or Sales become more common - it might become cheaper per gallon than Gas !
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,356
Messages
1,574,058
Members
169,892
Latest member
MurielConl
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

jnelson wrote on Jjhog's profile.
might think about getting these bullets to me
K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top