Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Cleveland Gun Club
Hunted
Zimbabwe, SouthAfrica
Which do you think would be a better hunting load for PG - a 300 geain at 2150 fps or a 235 grain at 2400fps? Hunting distances up to 150 metres, no more. Candidate PG would up to eland. Thanks.

What is the reason for downloading?

Which do you think would be a better hunting load for PG - a 300 geain at 2150 fps or a 235 grain at 2400fps? Hunting distances up to 150 metres, no more. Candidate PG would up to eland. Thanks.
When I had my .375 H&H Winchester Mod 70 I used 300 gr Hornady with H4895. MV a little over 2200 fps. Would bore a hole through a 200lb Feral hog at 125 yds (feeder distance).

First question, is this for a bolt action .375H&H or a .375 Flange Magnum double barrel rifle?
Second question, is the shooter you or someone else? The loads seem rather mild.

All things considered I would use 300's if everything was going to be say less than 200-250yds. Otherwise I would use something in the 250gr region of bullets for possible longer shots.

My last hunt in Africa, PG only, I used only a .375H&H with 300gr TSX bullets and was very happy with the results. If I remember right all shots were under 200yds.

I would go with the 300 grain bullet because I don't have any 235 grain bullets. That said, you're really turning down the horsepower on the .375. What bullet are you going to use in 300 grain? I'd lean toward something with a higher BC (think Accubond or Woodleigh PPSN). I would go for a minimum BC of .330.

In all my hunting experiences, I've never wished I'd used a lighter bullet. I sometimes wished I had a heavier bullet. When I downloaded my .375H&H for hunting our whitetail deer, I chose an old style Hornady Interlock RN 300 grain. Even though it's not considered a "tough" design, I was a little concerned that it might not expand at the moderate (slightly faster) speed I chose for my handloads, 2300 fps. It worked just fine.
If minimum recoil is your goal, the 235 Speers can be loaded even slower. I would be concerned about expansion of the tough 235 gr. Barnes TSX at that relatively slow 2400 FPS muzzle velocity.

First question, is this for a bolt action .375H&H or a .375 Flange Magnum double barrel rifle?
Second question, is the shooter you or someone else? The loads seem rather mild.

All things considered I would use 300's if everything was going to be say less than 200-250yds. Otherwise I would use something in the 250gr region of bullets for possible longer shots.

My last hunt in Africa, PG only, I used only a .375H&H with 300gr TSX bullets and was very happy with the results. If I remember right all shots were under 200yds.
Hi dchamp, yes this is for the 375 Flanged double. After many tries at sorting out my VC the conclusion is that this petite little action just can't handle the full power, it simply opens every shot when using a 300 grain bullet at 2400 fps. So we tried 235 gr at reduced load, being 64.5 grains of Norma 203b giving a calculated 2465fps and that worked just fine. We have downloaded some 300 grain Woodleigs too, but I haven't shot them yet.
i have just decided to accept the little Verney as a nice light little PG double, and thats ok.

Opens? As in action opening?

The 235 grains bullets at max load has a bad reputation overe here when used on moose and even red deer. Opening too fast, no penetration and ending up as search for wounded animals.

Opens? As in action opening?

The 235 grains bullets at max load has a bad reputation overe here when used on moose and even red deer. Opening too fast, no penetration and ending up as search for wounded animals.
I think he means that the distance between the point of impact of the bullets widens.

N

No, action opens up.

Sir, if that is the case I would be on the phone to the factory so fast it would make their head spin. Sounds like a manufacturing defect or major design flaw. That action should never open up. In my opinion that gun is not safe to shoot!!!

Hi dchamp, yes this is for the 375 Flanged double. After many tries at sorting out my VC the conclusion is that this petite little action just can't handle the full power, it simply opens every shot when using a 300 grain bullet at 2400 fps. So we tried 235 gr at reduced load, being 64.5 grains of Norma 203b giving a calculated 2465fps and that worked just fine. We have downloaded some 300 grain Woodleigs too, but I haven't shot them yet.
i have just decided to accept the little Verney as a nice light little PG double, and thats ok.
That's an interesting dilemma. Since it's a double you are probably shooting open sights or red dot, so shots will be relatively close. Full pressured loads seem to cause your rifle problems and limiting to PG.

I think I would try two or three different bullets, that tickled your fancy, start with around 270gr and work my way to a lighter bullet the rifle likes best. Or just go straight to the light weights and work my way up. Peregrine and Hammer make some pretty good 200-230gr bullets.

Last edited:
@Kevin Peacocke did an extensive post on the issues with his VC. I wish I was able to find it and I'm sure all your questions would be answered there.

Have you tried the 260 grs Accubond? I believe that would give you the best of both world, and somewhere in the middle of the 300 & 235. The Accubond are very accurate bullets.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swasel

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!