Which countries offer the most affordable Sheep/goat hunts?

Croatia: Mouflon, chamois, aoudad (aoudad trophy fee was run around 3k, when last checked), Dalmatian wild sheep.

Chamois and Tahr in NZ, they are just free!!! You only have to take the NZ hunting licence a make the trip by your own. Spain used to be cheap but nowdays the prices are raising very high, specially on Gredos ibex that his price is crazy today. The others ones you can find them starting about 3500 USD the representatives.
Also some European countries have very good price in Chamois and in mouflon you can find around 3000

The more I look into this the more international options I come across. All the different variations of chammis, mouflon, ibex species, as well as the tahr.

Looks like a good chunk of these hunts take place in the middle east/Asia but also across most of co tinentak Europe through the Alps.
Marco Polo in Kyrgyzstan is probably the best value for a real Ovis hunt and a spectacular trophy.

If you would consider far west Texas, you can hunt Barbary Seep (a.k.a Aoudad) for remarkably low cost. It’s a real sheep hunt. Steep, scenic country and a unique trophy. They were transplanted decades ago. Now they range freely.
+1.

I found that glassing and spotting auodad/barbary sheep in West Texas was more challenging and tougher than glassing and spotting desert bighorn sheep in Arizona. No white rump on the barbary sheep and they seem to blend into the terrain so well.

Alaska still has some great guided mountain goat hunts on Kodiak that don’t require a draw tag.

Happy hunting to all, TheGrayRider a/k/a Tom.

Chamois and Tahr in NZ, they are just free!!! You only have to take the NZ hunting licence a make the trip by your own.
I was looking into this, but I am not able to organize DYI hunt in high mountains of New Zealand, online from EU.
Need local knowledge. It comes down to guided hunt on public land, or using full proper outfitter, possible renting some equipment, etc

I was looking into this, but I am not able to organize DYI hunt in high mountains of New Zealand, online from EU.
Need local knowledge. It comes down to guided hunt on public land, or using full proper outfitter, possible renting some equipment, etc

Depends how much time you have and how fit you are. If you’ve got plenty of time then DIY on public land is doable. Hunting permit is free.

But if time is limited and you really want to shoot something then I recommend getting a guide. Cost will be very reasonable compared to either Europe or North America. Photos are from DIY public land hunt last year.

Just remember weather is a big factor in hunting NZ. You can’t predict what it will be months out and I’ve spent more than a few days sitting in pubs waiting for the weather to clear. But if you go guided your host will probably have a plan A, B, C and possibly even a D ready to ensure you get a chamois.

It took me 2 trips chasing Dall in Alaska to get one with a guide. To be honest if I went unguided (which of course is not legal) then I reckon I’d be still chasing a ram.

5D454C5A-CD93-4EC5-8F65-8163E3741983.jpeg
IMG_4330.jpeg
IMG_4335.jpeg
IMG_4332.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Depends how much time you have and how fit you are. If you’ve got plenty of time then DIY on public land is doable. Hunting permit is free.

But if time is limited and you really want to shoot something then I recommend getting a guide. Cost will be very reasonable compared to either Europe or North America. Photos are from DIY public land hunt last year.
Any guides to recommend? Pls send by pm.

You can plan it, there is lot of information in the net if you look, but the best is talking with some local guy that want help you, guides or outfitters are also good value, but try local guides, a foreigner company or guide will be overcharging you.
The best way to be successful is rent a helicopter to pick up you for the top of the mountain and then make your basecamp there, with a group of friends is very affordable.
Like the other partner said the most important is the weather, is very rainy country and a lof of fog during the tahr and chamois rut time. Many times you will have to wait for the correct window, but if the weather is good, the population of animals is crazy and you will be successful without problem.

I've been looking into both guided sheep and goat hunts here in Canada and they are far pricier than your typical deer or bear hunt.

Which international destinations offer a better value for hunting a sheep or goat species without having to spend $100,000 CDN?

Preferences in Europe or Oceania.
Kyrgyzstan for Ibex.

It’ll be interesting to see how it plays out over the next few years. I’m curious to know how many people in the top end of the middle like you and I get out.
I bailed on Wyoming this year. I had 22 preference points for moose and sheep and still couldn't draw. Then Wyoming changed the entire system and I said to heck with them.

Try Kyrgyzstan, Kazakstan, and Uzbekistan for Ibex. Mid-Asin Ibex hunts in these countries are among the greatest international hunting bargains. When it comes to sheep, try free-range Aoudad sheep in SW Texas. When hunted free-range, they qualify for the World Slam of Sheep. For international sheep, Russia's snow sheep are a bargain compared to North America's sheep (e.g., Kamchatka bighorn). And depending on your budgetary frame of reference (e.g., Stone Sheep, RM Bighorn, Desert Bighorn), a Marco Polo Argali from Kyrgyzstan and Tajikistan can actually be a relative bargain. A Tahr hunt in New Zealand, or any of the Chamois around the world offer a good ratio of cost and experience in mountain hunting. And just a more personal note . . . any animal that you hunt "up" for, do earlier in a hunting career than later. Such trophies are more easily earned with the legs, lungs, and ass that we have when we are younger. Wishing all the very best on the mountain.

Try Kyrgyzstan, Kazakstan, and Uzbekistan for Ibex. Mid-Asin Ibex hunts in these countries are among the greatest international hunting bargains. When it comes to sheep, try free-range Aoudad sheep in SW Texas. When hunted free-range, they qualify for the World Slam of Sheep. For international sheep, Russia's snow sheep are a bargain compared to North America's sheep (e.g., Kamchatka bighorn).
Yes Russia currently has great deals due to international pressures.

As told by a recent bear hunt report in Russia you can even qualify to get a Week of Free accommodations and food after your hunt :)

As told by a recent bear hunt report in Russia you can even qualify to get a Week of Free accommodations and food after your hunt :)
And with that experience somebody is qualified to publish his life memoirs! Not exactly every hunt qualifies for that! Priceless!;)

I bailed on Wyoming this year. I had 22 preference points for moose and sheep and still couldn't draw. Then Wyoming changed the entire system and I said to heck with them.
That’s exactly what I’m talking about. At what age did you start applying? I know a bunch of people who are in a similar points situation as you, are a few points ahead of me but all have 1-3 decades on me age wise. If several get out of the game while it’s this way, I can catch them and even if WY changes it back or to a different system, I have a chance to outlast them

For what it is worth Dustin Roe is one of the better guides out there. Not sure he is 125k good, but if the market will bear it.

Chamois and Tahr in NZ, they are just free!!! You only have to take the NZ hunting licence a make the trip by your own. Spain used to be cheap but nowdays the prices are raising very high, specially on Gredos ibex that his price is crazy today. The others ones you can find them starting about 3500 USD the representatives.
Also some European countries have very good price in Chamois and in mouflon you can find around 3000
Are you saying an outfitter/guide is not required for a non-resident to hunt these in NZ? You only need to buy the tags?

Spain offers Ibex, Mouflon, Chamois and Barbary sheep.

While you are here, you can try for a Roe Deer :ROFLMAO:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VictoriaKi

Latest profile posts

A.A. wrote on Msprenger!'s profile.
Are you still looking for a 375 H&H?
NRA Life, ASSRA Life, GGCA Life
Sable @ the lodge this morning

Buffalo encounter this morning!