Where to go for 'Old Africa'...

Why so often, there is a sentiment for "old Africa hunting", and never something like "old Europe style hunting", or "old Australian style hunting", etc ?
I'd say there is within Europe to a degree. Hunting generally is quite traditional in these places, so I guess it's relatively easy to get the 'old world' experience.

Considering game shooting or stalking in the UK. Ponies for extraction, big sporting estates, side by sides, tweed suits, ties, it's all faintly Victorian in many ways. You certainly couldn't turn up to a driven pheasant day in cammo or with a semi-auto. No tie or an over under is pushing your luck in many places!

Then there's the driven hunting traditions of continental Europe, Germany especially. Jagdhorns, outfits, all the ceremonial, rituals of respect for the quarry etc etc. Again, outwardly very traditional at least, although in reality a lot of modern hunting culture, horn calls and ceremonial was actually developed and formailsed by either the Nazis in the 30's (West) or by the Soviets in the '50's (East).

As for other countries, well old India appeals, but perhaps the rest of the world diesn't have that rigid tradition of closely defined methods, tools and techniques, or such a wealth of documented hunts by 'names'. It's more a tradition of subsistence hunting by the common man, which, whilst a strong cultural heritage, might result in less nostalgia overall, especially as it's much more free to change and evolve by time or region.

I'd still be up for a free range US buffalo hunt with a black powder 45-120 mind!

You are in a rush,... you just don't know yet.

In 2035, may be, there is nothing left you are looking for....

HWL

Fully agree with that, who knows what it it will be like in 2035 ?

Evening gents.

A question for you all that I'm sure has been covered before, but that may spark some debate nonetheless.

I find in life generally that I value quality more than quality and that I'm quite happy to save a long time and pay a lot for the 'best'. THis also applies to my thoughts around safaris.

I could probably stretch to a fenced PG hunt in somewhere like SA this year if I really wanted, but actually, my idea of the 'best' safari is that romaticised vision of 'old' Africa. The Africa of Roosevelt, Percival, or Hemingway. I'd happily wait longer and pay more for even a hint of that experience, which bring me onto my question.

Where would you say is closest to this ideal in modern Africa?

As a hypothetical, let's say you're looking for at least 21-30 days, somewhere remote and hard to get to with incredible scenery, massive expanses of ground, all unfenced, spot and stalk, maybe even some cross country travel and camping out? 'Authentic', I guess would be as good a term as any.

I'd like to take a decent range of species to include at least a buff and have the freedom to pick and choose which ones as the mood takes me, but I honestly care very little about the quality of the trophies. I'd much rather spend 2 hard days working in tough terrain to stalk into a representative beast with character, than find a record holder in 3 hours and shoot it 500yds from the truck. Experience over all.

I also find I'm not that fussed about the quality of accomodation. A tent out in the bush is fine if it's in a magical location.

Where would you be looking to go?
Uganda is pretty wild

If one reads the books of Sir Samuel Baker and Henry Morton Stanley it was in the golden times of exploring and adventures. By the 1900s...even those days were over we look back upon as romantic.
A white man could go ashore just about anywhere go hunting and exploring pursuing wild animals or be pursuited by savages.

Why so often, there is a sentiment for "old Africa hunting", and never something like "old Europe style hunting", or "old Australian style hunting", etc ?
Because Europe doesn't have any old places left for the most part and not near the same style species. Australia might be different as they have some pretty remote places but again limited in species. Also, there just isn't the level of hunting history as Africa.

Maybe because it's an African themed site we are on. Really I think Africa has always been a Hunters dream the nostalgia of Big Game hunters and the wealthy hunting Lion,vElephamt and tented camps with gun bearers etc it just seems like a whole different world and it's not our Western world.
Because Europe doesn't have any old places left for the most part and not near the same style species. Australia might be different as they have some pretty remote places but again limited in species. Also, there just isn't the level of hunting history as Africa.
Yep Australia is great but our Native animals are all protected and we can hunt introduced species . Limited big game in a small pet of a big country.

Now for the OP, I think we got it all from your title. I think we all new exactly what you want and many would like to do the same I'm sure. I hope it happens for you.

Jaco................that is good to hear about Moz in general. I had been wanting to return and hunt Niassa again. There were several reports of terrorism near the hunt areas. When asking at the State Dept, I was advised against it. Difficult to get "on the ground" data from here. thanks for posting..............FWB

Jaco................that is good to hear about Moz in general. I had been wanting to return and hunt Niassa again. There were several reports of terrorism near the hunt areas. When asking at the State Dept, I was advised against it. Difficult to get "on the ground" data from here. thanks for posting..............FWB

Fly in thru Lichinga and not Pemba and all good.

I agree with that. I look for a bear market similar two the 3 year market starting in 2000. Ve a great buying opportunity for the young.
The markets are going to crash globally, the entire market is held up by fake money.

But I hope it doesn't!

Following this with interest. As most people, my interest for hunting Africa has come from the turn of the century great novels, adventurers and writers. But I do remind myself that those stories were probably a bit romanticised as well...

V.

I agree with that. I look for a bear market similar two the 3 year market starting in 2000. Ve a great buying opportunity for the young.
I just pushed all my mutual funds into a government bond fund. Shares topped out at $58, and 45 respectively. I ended up with $57 and $42 when things were done. I stopped buying outside of my 401K, Made 30% this year, so a good time to get out.

My father in law told me to ride it out. I don't think this is the same kind of crash that we have had before, I don't want to wait that long. Normally I always ride it out, but this one scares me.

Wouldn't a blip in interest rates raise costs so much that the US Govt would default on bonds for the first time ever? US can't service debt at even 9%. Is a bond fund better? Tangential question, sorry.....but it has a lot to do with my ever visiting a wild camp area in "Old Africa" again..................best to all....................FWB

Wouldn't a blip in interest rates raise costs so much that the US Govt would default on bonds for the first time ever? US can't service debt at even 9%. Is a bond fund better? Tangential question, sorry.....but it has a lot to do with my ever visiting a wild camp area in "Old Africa" again..................best to all....................FWB
I hope not, I am using the words bond fund but mine is actually through the Government as I am a civil servant. Probably no more safe than the situation you speak of.

I hope not, I am using the words bond fund but mine is actually through the Government as I am a civil servant. Probably no more safe than the situation you speak of.

Look into real estate lending funds as an alternate to bonds. Stable earnings and the good ones sit first seat on the underlying asset creating a very low risk basis. The ones I’m in require you to be a ‘qualified’ investor. I’m am sure there are others if you haven’t hit the threshold yet.

Heh, I'm in no rush! If I can hit my career and investment goals, this will be a 40th birthday gig circa 2035. Just fun to dream and discuss for the time being and who knows, a couple promotions, a few more years in the markets like 2020 and it could be sooner than I think!
Hello Alistair, First off, I wish you all the luck in the world with your dreams and with your future! You sound like a great young man, and like you my life's passion ever since reading, "Hunter" by JA Hunter when I was in grade school, was doing exactly what you want to do. I'm 58 now and I have been lucky enough to have hunted Africa 6 times already.
Back to your situation. The way I see it, the main issue with your plans is time. 14 years from now is a LONG TIME away. If you look at what's going on in the world today anti-hunting wise and combine it with the exploding human population in Sub-Saharan Africa, I wonder what will be left in 14 years. Where I have been hunting in Zimbabwe for example, I have seen huge changes since I was first there in 2005. SO MANY more people, cattle, motorbikes, cellphones, and poaching activity.

So I guess that my advice to you is to somehow do your safari much sooner. If money is an issue I would say to scale back your old time safari big time and for now go on a great hunt in Namibia, RSA, or parts of Zim where you will have a great experience and save $100,000.

Either way GOOD LUCK and don't let go of your dreams!

Tanzania at $100,000 is the answer to your question. Of course there are a
Many other options and trade offs.
The best bang for your buck on real wild Africa is Zimbabwe.
Philip

MATETSI SAFARI AREA (which is reserved exclusively for hunting) - 1,100 square miles
adjacent to Hwange National Park in the South - 5,600 square miles,
Botswana in the West up to the Zambezi River in the North.
ALL UNFENCED "OLD AFRICA" WILDERNESS!

MatetsiUnits.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Fly in thru Lichinga and not Pemba and all good.
Is it safe to fly to Pemba and then directly charter from there without leaving the airport? That’s what I did last time.

Old Africa, hmmm - good question, difficult to answer. Time can’t be undone but most of us dream about it when planning for or participating in one of these trips. No matter how large an area is or where it is, it is still 2021. I didn’t start reading the older classics until after my first trip- Selous, Bell, Everett and Hemingway among others. Having gone to many of the places first then reading of the “old”, I think my perspective is even clearer. I’ve now read most of the material multiple times and always glean a little more each time.

Best advice is just go and appreciate no matter where. I’ve enjoyed every destination. Some places more than once. Hard to say the most “old” type Africa feel? Maybe a tent camp I’m Mozambique. Most unique location and culture with a good feel... probably Botswana. Best landscapes with inherent pastoral qualities...parts of RSA and Zimbabwe. No matter where, pick a good outfit and just go :)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonmark007

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg