Where is good Hunting gear made?

@Pheroze We have some good gear in NZ. Swanndri, Manawatu Knitting Mills, Norsewear and Merino Reserve are the oldest woollen clothing outfits but Ice Breaker and Untouched World are also in the running. Even Swazi has at least one merino top (mainly so you do not set yourself alight whilst cooking your meals, I imagine) in addition to their very good synthetic clothing. Davy Hughes, the owner of Swazi, hunts in Alaska and various other distant places and has recently been appointed the (first ever?) Rigby representative in NZ.

New Zealand Natural Clothing Limited is one of my favourite woollen clothing shops, just along the road from the Ice Breaker outlet shop (yes I am a tight beggar) and is a good place to get an idea of range/price. Their website address is www.nznaturalclothingshop

No one I know who has visited the U.S. has anything good to say about U.S. hunting clothing (outdoor working gear being in a different category).

P.S. Are those dogs RIP yet?

I obviously had the blinders on when looking for clothing. There are so many good options out there! I love supporting local small businesses. It usually costs a bit more but gives me a real pride of ownership. Also, I am done with allowing price to dictate my ethics.

I think the dogs are still enjoying the buffet of rabbits etc. My friend is heading back up with the game cameras, so we shall see what is happening with these guys. The theory now is that they come from a Reservation (community of first Nations people) that is on a tributary that feeds into the otherside of the lake. Shows me how far the critters will wander!

Impressive range, zephyr.

This is at the nexus point between "safari clothes" and "collectible clothes".

For an American, there has never been a finer safari brand than Willis & Geiger. The bush poplin they used is the best there ever was. Their client list included Ernest Hemmingway, Teddy Roosevelt, Charles Lindbergh, Edmund Hillary, Errol Flynn, and a pile of hollywood stars.

W&G went belly up about 15 years ago. Lands End (SEARS) bought the name and proceeded to A.) Discontinue all safari clothes, B.) Sully the brand's name, C.) Reduce the size options.

A never worn vintage W&G belted safari jacket from W&G can range from $300-$800 depending on size. A used one on ebay in totally wearable condition can often be had for $100 and it is the best and it is made in the first world. Highly recommend you pick some of the clothes up.

I second carhart. Now if only they made some camouflage items too

My favorite longjohns are made by Stanfields in Nova Scotia. 100% wool, good for when I'm active then want to be still (such as a long hike to a stand for hunting) in cold weather. they allow perspiration to evaporate during the hike, then keep you warm when you stop. Old fashioned, but very effective.

The bulk of high-tech, serious mountain gear is made in China these days and the quality seems fine. It really depends on your type of hunting but if backpacking in the mountains is a large part of it, then you'll be supporting the Chinese economy. We've been running Stoney Creek gear for the past two years and are extremely impressed.

Crye Precision is an option for some items, if you can stomach their prices.

Made in the USA, from materials sourced in the USA.

Last edited:
A lot of good brands mentioned so far. I'll add 5.11 Tactical (http://www.511tactical.com/). Great pants, shirts and shorts for Africa.

A place I buy a lot of my gear is an online place called "Working Person's Store." (http://workingperson.com/ ) They carry Carhartt, Helly Hansen, Filson, 5.11 and many more. They ship super fast and if you need to return items to exchange for a different size, color or just changed your mind and want your money back, they are very good about that.

I have bought good clothes in Czech Rebublic brand name Afars. But I dont have seen them selling anywhere outside Czech I have use Afars woolshirt all cold days almost ten years. I dont wanna buy anything Chinese

I've been impressed with Onca Gear ( https://www.oncagear.com/ ) and just bought a bunch of it for the wife... designed and made in Spain..

I pretty much just wear "whatever" myself... but the wife demands quality :)

If you want "continental" Tweeds, google Laksen. Much is made in Poland and quality is excellent but the clothes are pricey!

I saw in a recent Midway USA flyer I received in the mail that they had a safari jacket on sale for $60. Comes in khaki or olive.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/939123785/midwayusa-mens-safari-jacket

upload_2017-3-6_9-56-24.png

Tall sizes for actual tall people: this is the ONLY tall on market today. The cabelas tall size are up to 6'2"...not tall. You found the holy grail!

Rookhawk, you are correct. At 5' 11" I don't consider myself "tall", but I wear a 34-35" sleeve. To get the sleeve to fit I get Large Tall. My favorite shirts are Sir Pendletons which are made in a USA/Mexico corroboration, but evidently the models for Regular are about 5' 7" with 31" sleeves.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just purchased, thanks!

Tall sizes for actual tall people: this is the ONLY tall on market today. The cabelas tall size are up to 6'2"...not tall. You found the holy grail!

Midway ships super fast, so you are likely to have your jacket in a couple days. The reviews for this item were pretty good, so it will be interesting to hear what your thoughts are on it.

Just purchased, thanks!

Well, the Midway USA 2XL-Tall safari jackets came in today. Sadly, they are not "Tall" they are "Normal" for American standards.

Yes, the sleeve is a 37" or so sleeve. But the length is just like the Cabelas brand. Probably appropriate for someone around 6' to 6'2" tall.

So here is some trivia for you. Name the least expensive Tall bush jacket available?

Answer: A vintage Willis & Geiger Bush jacket on eBay. They sell for $300-$400.

Don't like that answer? Lost Worlds will make you one for around $1500. Yes, $1500.

Being tall is a pain in the rear!

Bush shirts in Tall sizes though? Really, true to fit Tall sizes? Orvis makes Tall bush shirts for $100. They often have a $25 off $50 coupon but it still means its a $75 bush shirt. When you're tall this is your only option.

(Research hours and phone calls to make these statements easily rolls into the 30 hours or so timeframe)

Rookhawk, curious your thoughts on the quality of that jacket?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
indiagpt

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois