Where are they indigenous? Where would YOU hunt them?

seattlesetters

AH veteran
Reaction score
Just like the title says: Where are all of these animals truly indigenous? I’m talking down to specific provinces and areas. Also, where would you hunt each right now?

Feel free to only list one, a few or all these species. Or, add more. Thanks!

1. Nyala
2. Cape Bushbuck
3. Limpopo Bushbuck
4. Cape Kudu
5. Greater Southern Kudu
6. Gemsbok
7. Impala
8. Zebra (Burchell and Hartmann)
9. Springbok (Common)
10. Blue Wildebeest
11. Red Hartebeest
12. Black Wildebeest
13. Warthog
14. Steenbok
15. Blesbok
16. Mountain Reedbuck
17. Common Reedbuck
18. Grey Rhebok
19. Grey Duiker
20. Cape Eland
21. Livingstone Eland
22. Red Lechwe
23. Waterbuck
24. Sable
25. Klipspringer
26. Oribi
27. Roan
28. Blesbok
29. Red Duiker
30. Blue Duiker

I see we have now two active threads about indigenous species.(y)

For the gemsbok, I would say Namibia, arid savanna (cheapest trophy fee + indigenous species)

For remaining, lets see what the others have to say.

Just like the title says: Where are all of these animals truly indigenous? I’m talking down to specific provinces and areas. Also, where would you hunt each right now?

Feel free to only list one, a few or all these species. Or, add more. Thanks!

1. Nyala - KZN, Mpumalanga, eastern parts of Limpopo, Swaziland

2. Cape Bushbuck - Western Cape, Eastern Cape, KZN, Limpopo, Mpumalanga, Swaziland

3. Limpopo Bushbuck - mostly alonong the Limpopo river and north, ie outside SA

4. Cape Kudu - I still call BS on this, but in theory Eastern cape and Karoo region

5. Greater Southern Kudu - SA sans Western and Eastern Cape, Nam, Bots, Zim, Zambia, Moz, Swaziland, etc

6. Gemsbok - Northern Cape and Northwest Kalahari, Nam

7. Impala - KZN, Limpopo, Northwest, Mpumalanga, Swaziland

8a. Zebra (Burchell) - whole of SA
8.b (Hartmann) - Namibia

9. Springbok (Common) - Western, Northern and Eastern cape Karoo, Free State, Northern Cape and North West Kalahari, Namibia

10. Blue Wildebeest - KZN, Limpopo, Mpumalanga, Swaziland, Botswana and Northwest& Northern Cape Kalahari

11. Red Hartebeest - Freestate, Northern Cape, Limpopo, Mpumalanga, SA, Bots and Nam Kalahari, some in KZN grasslands

12. Black Wildebeest - Freestate, KZN, western part of Northern Cape

13. Warthog - everywhere now via migration. Originally KZN, Limpopo, Mpumalanga, northern areas of SA and neighboring countries

14. Steenbok - lots in Northern Cape but the whole RSA

15. Blesbok - Freestate, KZN and Mpumalanga Highveld

16. Mountain Reedbuck - Eastern Cape, KZN, Limpopo, Freestate, Northern Cape mountains

17. Common Reedbuck - KZN Midlands, Freestate, Mpumalanga, Swaziland

18. Grey Rhebok- Western cape, Eastern Cape, Swaziland, KZN, Mpumalanga

19. Grey Duiker - Sub-Saharan Africa

20. Cape Eland - The whole RSA, Nam, Bots

21. Livingstone Eland - Limpopo, Northern Nam, Zim

22. Red Lechwe - northern Bots (no hunting) Kaprivi in Nam, Zambia

23. Waterbuck - Limpopo, KZN, Mpumalanga, Eastern Cape

24. Sable - Limpopo, Mpumalanga, Kaprivi, Moçambique, Zim

25. Klipspringer - Limpopo, KZN, Western Cape, Mpumalanga

26. Oribi - Mpumalanga, Eastern Cape, KZN

27. Roan - Limpopo, Mpumalanga, Kaprivi, Zim

28. Blesbok (mentioned above) Bontebok though in South Eastern Western Cape

29. Red Duiker - Eastern Cape and KZN coastal regions, Limpopo forest areas
30. Blue Duiker - Eastern Cape and KZN coastal regions, Limpopo forest areas

This is more or less their original distribution. Not ment to be the Smithers Mammals of SA, but a safe idea, and where I would be comfortable to hunt them. I've hunted all but Roan, and some others that are not on the list and will later give a list of my favorite areas for each.

Not all of the animals you list have been, or can be, easily moved. For example, I'm not aware of Vaal Rhebok outside of the Easter Cape, and I think blue duiker has not been introduced outside of its original range. Not sure about red duiker - I hunted one in Natal, where they are native.

Personally, my preference is to hunt an animal in its original habitat. Having said that, I plead guilty to hunting lechwe in South Africa, for example, so I won't be pedantic about that preference. But I will admit that there's something not quite "right" or "authentic" about hunting animals which have been introduced solely for the purpose of being hunted, rather than chasing them where God put them.

I saw lechwe in the Eastern Cape, and wasn’t keen on the idea of hunting them there. I saw waterbuck in the Kalahari and that didn’t spin my wheels either.

Not all of the animals you list have been, or can be, easily moved. For example, I'm not aware of Vaal Rhebok outside of the Easter Cape, and I think blue duiker has not been introduced outside of its original range. Not sure about red duiker - I hunted one in Natal, where they are native.

Personally, my preference is to hunt an animal in its original habitat. Having said that, I plead guilty to hunting lechwe in South Africa, for example, so I won't be pedantic about that preference. But I will admit that there's something not quite "right" or "authentic" about hunting animals which have been introduced solely for the purpose of being hunted, rather than chasing them where God put them.

Hank I pretty much agree with your sentiment.

Some of the biggest Vaal Rhebuck occurring in SA are around the Overberg area in the Western Cape, ie towns like Caledon, Napier, Bredasdorp, Riversdal and Swellendam. Likewise the South western parts of the Northern Cape around Calvinia, Fraserburg and Sutherland have exceptional Vaalies. They also occur elsewhere.

Red and blue duiker inhabit the Eastern coastal forests which spans from the Eastern Cape south of the Transkei all along Natal and into Mozam

Hi Hank,

Well said.

I completely agree with your sentiment. I have made it sort of a "discipline" to only hunt species in their endemic habitat. That has some built in in-efficiencies. Say the Lechwes, they tend to have very limited areas they are endemic to. Black Lechwe, only Bangweulu, Kafue Lechwe, Kafue flats etc. And I believe but am not 100% sure about the Red Lechwe being Okavango extending into Namibia.

1. Nyala-RSA KZN or Nuanetsi ZIM, Save river MOZ
2. Cape Bushbuck-Eastern Cape
3. Limpopo Bushbuck-Limpopo province or Southern Zim-Sengwe
4. Cape Kudu-Eastern CApe
5. Greater Southern Kudu-Limpopo province, Southern Zim or Moz
6. GemsboNamibia, RSA Kalahari(Northern Cape)
7. Impala-RSA Limpopo province
8. Zebra (Burchell and Hartmann)-Burchells anywhere Hartmann Namibia
9. Springbok (Common)-RSA Kalahari-Namibia
10. Blue Wildebeest-RSA Limpopo, Mpumalanga
11. Red Hartebeest-Kalahari(Northern cape)
12. Black Wildebeest-RSA Freestate
13. Warthog-RSA Limpopo, Mpumalanga
14. Steenbok-RSA Karoo, NW or Kalahari
15. Blesbok- RSA Freestate, Mpumalanga
16. Mountain Reedbuck, RSA KZN, Mpumalanga, Freestate Eastern cape
17. Common Reedbuck-RSA KZN(Midlands), Mpumalanga
18. Grey Rhebok-RSA Freestate, Eastern Cape, Western Cape
19. Grey Duiker -RSA Limpopo, KZN, Mpumalanga, Easten Cape
20. Cape Eland-RSA Limpopo
21. Livingstone Eland - Zimbabwe, Moz
22. Red Lechwe-Zambia, NE Namibia
23. Waterbuck-RSA Limpopo, Mpumalanga, EC, KZN
24. Sable-Matetsi Zimbabwe
25. Klipspringer-RSA Limpopo, EC
26. Oribi-RSA Mpumalanga, EC
27. Roan- Zambia
28. Blesbok-RSA Freestate
29. Red Duiker -RSA Limpopo(Soutpansberg) or KZN
30. Blue Duiker-RSA-KZN, EC or Moz

5. southern greater kudu - Namibia
14. steenbok - Namibia
13. Warthog - Namibia
19. Duiker - Namibia
All seen in Khomas highlands region
20 cape Eland - Namibia

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg