When stepping up from a .416, which direction to go?

What will you be hunting? I think that determines what cartridges!??
I have a 416 Remington using Woodleigh 400 grain hydros
And Swift A-Frames.
Have used the Weatherby 460 - recoil is “stout” with 500 grain bullets.

What will you be hunting? I think that determines what cartridges!??
I have a 416 Remington using Woodleigh 400 grain hydros
And Swift A-Frames.
Have used the Weatherby 460 - recoil is “stout” with 500 grain bullets.
I'm a North American Deer/bear/Moose hunter with plans for both elk and Bison and eventually plains game and Cape Buffalo.

For my NA hunting I have all the standard cartridges covered, these big bores definitely fall into the need vs want. I'd like options that have some versatility between African/north American game which is why I was thinking .416 & 470.

For those of you that own 375s and 416s, which direction did you go when you stepped up from there? I don't even own my .416 yet but I'm planning 2 steps ahead and starting to consider one of the larger big bores.

Option 1: 458's, WinMag and Lott
Option 2: 450/400 NE, 450 NE etc.
Option 3: 470NE
Option 4: something truly large in the >0.500 realm.

I'm currently leaning towards a 470NE as I'd like to buy a double and ammo availability for the 470 seems to be greater than some of the others.

Curious to hear your thoughts.
I own a .470, 500/416, and .404. I would strongly suggest the .375. I discovered early on that it does everything up to a stopping rifle (not exactly a client requirement) without all the sturm und drang of the 40's. Rapier or broadsword, both are deadly in the right hands.

I own a .470, 500/416, and .404. I would strongly suggest the .375. I discovered early on that it does everything up to a stopping rifle (not exactly a client requirement) without all the sturm und drang of the 40's. Rapier or broadsword, both are deadly in the right hands.
Already own a 375 (CZ 550), it's what got me started down this path.

I'm pretty good at "rolling with the punches" of heavy recoiling rifles, but my 12-pound Heym .470 double is about as much as I can stand, and (even though I've seen shooting it for 20 years), I can't consistently make very accurate shots over 50m.

If you can't pull the trigger on it without flinching, you are better off making well-placed shots with a .22 LR.

Already own a 375 (CZ 550), it's what got me started down this path.
So did I. Upon reflection and experience, I turned around. A .375 is the most useful and practical rifle any client can take to Africa. I shoot the forties that I own extremely well. But nothing beats the sheer utility of a .375.

One other thing you should consider is rifle weight. If you're actually going to hunt with the rifles in your collection, I'd say that portability is almost as important as any caliber selection above 416. Some would say above 375.
If you're going on a free range Buffalo or Elephant hunt, you will be walking miles and miles each day, for sometimes several days in a row. Once you get above 40 caliber, rifle weight necessarily must go up. I don't know about you, but I'd much prefer carrying a 8-9 lb scoped 375 or a 9-10 lb scoped 416, than a 12-14 lb anything. It's not that some of the larger bores can't be made lighter, but a full power 458 Lott or 500 Jeffery will need to be quite a bit heavier to comfortably shoot them well.
Also consider that bullet selection is more critical than caliber selection, once you're at or above 375 caliber. With the correct bullet, every legal DG caliber offers enough penetration to kill any and all game, including elephant. With the 375 and 416, you need not have to put up with as much recoil and rifle weight to accomplish the same outcome.
But, with all that said, if you don't mind carrying the extra weight, you love heavy recoil, and you want a true "stopping rifle", I think the 500 Jeffery is the gun for you!

For those of you that own 375s and 416s, which direction did you go when you stepped up from there? I don't even own my .416 yet but I'm planning 2 steps ahead and starting to consider one of the larger big bores.

Option 1: 458's, WinMag and Lott
Option 2: 450/400 NE, 450 NE etc.
Option 3: 470NE
Option 4: something truly large in the >0.500 realm.

I'm currently leaning towards a 470NE as I'd like to buy a double and ammo availability for the 470 seems to be greater than some of the others.

Curious to hear your thoughts.
I wound up selling the .416's when I got the double. I am not advocating it but that is what happened. I bought the .470, which you are leaning towards and is an obvious top choice, and now the .450/400. I should have my Kgun back next week with the new .450/400 barrels.
Fun discussion!

I wound up selling the .416's when I got the double. I am not advocating it but that is what happened. I bought the .470, which you are leaning towards and is an obvious top choice, and now the .450/400. I should have my Kgun back next week with the new .450/400 barrels.
Fun discussion!
Interesting, do you own a 375 as well or does the .450/400 have you covered for the lighter stuff?

Go 500 Nitro Double it has a Higher Resale Value than a 470!!!

Hard to beat a 40, nothing it won't do with the right loads....but if you feel you have to make a buy, I'd go with a 470 or 500 double.....

I like my 470.although I haven't killed anything with it yet gathering ammo hasen't been a problem lots of 18 packs out there.not hard to find dies either also has classic slight bottleneck lines which ejects great.

One other thing you should consider is rifle weight. If you're actually going to hunt with the rifles in your collection, I'd say that portability is almost as important as any caliber selection above 416. Some would say above 375.
If you're going on a free range Buffalo or Elephant hunt, you will be walking miles and miles each day, for sometimes several days in a row. Once you get above 40 caliber, rifle weight necessarily must go up. I don't know about you, but I'd much prefer carrying a 8-9 lb scoped 375 or a 9-10 lb scoped 416, than a 12-14 lb anything. It's not that some of the larger bores can't be made lighter, but a full power 458 Lott or 500 Jeffery will need to be quite a bit heavier to comfortably shoot them well.
Also consider that bullet selection is more critical than caliber selection, once you're at or above 375 caliber. With the correct bullet, every legal DG caliber offers enough penetration to kill any and all game, including elephant. With the 375 and 416, you need not have to put up with as much recoil and rifle weight to accomplish the same outcome.
But, with all that said, if you don't mind carrying the extra weight, you love heavy recoil, and you want a true "stopping rifle", I think the 500 Jeffery is the gun for you!
Completely agree on rifle weight. My DR 500 NE weighs 11.5 pounds. My 375 much less. If I did not do my power walks with my 15 pound cartio bar to get ready which makes the 11.5 pound rifle seem lighter I’m sure it would be miserable given I will be going 10-15 miles per day with it.

If going double rifle 470 or 450 NE, if going the magazine rifle I would buy the .505 Gibbs MRC that’s for sale in the classified section here on AH. Just my 2 cents

I’m also at a 416, and my next up is likely to be a 500 Jeff or 505 Gibbs. Like @VertigoBE, I don’t need either, but it would be fun to learn how to use a proper stopping cartridge.

I think a 416 or 458 would be considered a stopping cartridge. I believe the 500s are considered "anchoring" cartridges lol :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gpstracking

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg