When showing off your new Elephant rifle goes wrong

Honest question

Do you now know it was wrong to drink and drive?

Do you still drink and drive?

I got a DUI 23 years ago. I know I was lucky not to have killed myself or someone else.

I don’t drink and drive anymore. I learned from my mistakes

Now compare my answer and what I hope your answers are to the author who thinks an accident with a gun while he was in a "relaxed manner that only 12-15 coor's banquet beers can produce" is funny, sees nothing wrong with what he did and still does it.

Can you not see the difference???
Yes, I can see the difference now but, back when I was drinking and driving on a regular basis I saw nothing wrong with it. I had people in my family and community telling me how dangerous my actions were. I am very fortunate and thankful that God gave me the time and those people gave me the opportunity to be judged for the man I became and not the man I was.
And as for the KY stereotypes that you have read about: If you were in need, most would give you the shirt off their back.

And as for the KY stereotypes that you have read about: If you were in need, most would give you the shirt off their back.

I would second that

years ago I and my first wife (US citizen) were on I 95 (I think) in an econo van of some kind and all our possessions in the back

looking behind me whilst going up a KT hill all I could see was a white out - strange thought I - it’s bright sky ahead

we were on fire

I was humbled and grateful for the instant help from a good number of locals who not only put the fire out but took us into their homes until we could plan our onward trip

Sorry to sound rude, but drinking and shooting guns especially around children don’t mix!
Not only that but the title of the thread indicates a mindset that leaves much to be desired. Showing off is lame at best. It’s a weakness of human nature that is not interesting in the least bit. I suppose the only time it may be tolerable is when an even worse and overly obnoxious show off needs to be slapped down. But even then showing off is so uncool.

Sorry to sound rude, but drinking and shooting guns especially around children don’t mix!

Not only that but the title of the thread indicates a mindset that leaves much to be desired. Showing off is lame at best. It’s a weakness of human nature that is not interesting in the least bit. I suppose the only time it may be tolerable is when an even worse and overly obnoxious show off needs to be slapped down. But even then showing off is so uncool.
I bet you're a lot of fun at a party

@Hunting Hitman : "I choose to accept that he already knows that and take the rest of the story in context. Take a chill pill keyboard warriors lots of other battles to fight."

Context? The story is the context. What other context is there? Correct me if I'm wrong, but this was a recent event, so it's not like it's a "this happened to me way back when" thing. The members on here who are pointing out all the ways this is wrong and taking a "not a drop before shooting/hunting" stance are the ones that are right. There may be a lot of other battles but poor decisions with regards to firearms safety is way up the list, IMHO.

@Hunting Hitman : "I choose to accept that he already knows that and take the rest of the story in context. Take a chill pill keyboard warriors lots of other battles to fight."

Context? The story is the context. What other context is there? Correct me if I'm wrong, but this was a recent event, so it's not like it's a "this happened to me way back when" thing. The members on here who are pointing out all the ways this is wrong and taking a "not a drop before shooting/hunting" stance are the ones that are right. There may be a lot of other battles but poor decisions with regards to firearms safety is way up the list, IMHO.

Matthew 7:1-3
King James Version

Judge not, that ye be not judged.

2 For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.

3 And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?

HH

Honest Question (not meant to be inflammatory):

To all that have posted on this thread: Have you ever consumed alcohol and got behind the wheel of a vehicle?

The answer for me is: Yes.
This is something I do not condone now but, in my younger days, drinking and driving was an every-weekend thing. I am certainly not proud of this fact and, I thank God no one was injured or killed.
Sure and I don't brag about it or think it's funny. It's more thank God I didn't kill myself or anyone else. And I would have told the story in that way. The way it has been told is "well, drinking a driving is thing here and we all do it. I rolled the car but no one got hurt but it sure was funny. I plan to continue to drink and drive."

Whole incident sounds like a younger, loud, obnoxious, youtube obsessed generation with a, "here, hold my beer" attitude. I see the same knucklehead gun stuff all over youtube. Another common one is some idiot handing a heavy recoil firearm to a youngster or inexperienced girlfriend, then giggling like a pack 20 year old smart-ass boys when they get slammed by the gun. Just leave me out of it. If that sounds like an old grinch curmudgeon, then I are one.

I'm an ESV sort myself. Scripture? Sure. Those judgment verses get misused a lot. The gist is we are admonished to deal with our own sins before we begin to correct others’ actions. Then when we are called to help someone it won't be a matter of judgment, but instead helping them back into fellowship with God. Galatians 6:1 “Brothers and sisters, if someone is caught in a sin, you who live by the Spirit should restore that person gently. But watch yourselves, or you also may be tempted."

And I realize alcohol and a double rifle have nothing whatsoever to do with that.

Actually, for me, if I was going to apply a verse to this situation it would be Proverbs 17:12: "Better to meet a bear robbed of her cubs than a fool bent on folly."

I live around bears. I have no desire to be around a sow robbed of her cubs. In fact I was within a few hundred yards of one last week, when one of her two yearlings got lost and started bawling. The Bible says a fool in his folly is worse. I am not saying the OP is a fool - not at all. But alcohol and guns is absolutely folly.

Whole incident sounds like a younger, loud, obnoxious, youtube obsessed generation with a, "here, hold my beer" attitude. I see the same knucklehead gun stuff all over youtube. Another common one is some idiot handing a heavy recoil firearm to a youngster or inexperienced girlfriend, then giggling like a pack 20 year old smart-ass boys when they get slammed by the gun. Just leave me out of it. If that sounds like an old grinch curmudgeon, then I are one.
Nope, you're wrong on that one bud. Average age of attendance was probably 45-55. There was a couple of younger kids but mostly just old dudes quietly sipping beer and talking trash about each other's lack of ability to hit clays

Sure and I don't brag about it or think it's funny. It's more thank God I didn't kill myself or anyone else. And I would have told the story in that way. The way it has been told is "well, drinking a driving is thing here and we all do it. I rolled the car but no one got hurt but it sure was funny. I plan to continue to drink and drive."
I'm gonna say this is a bit different than that. Drinking and driving is one thing. This is a bit of another. Like I said, still not the best format probably but it isn't like tearing down the street at 100 mph when you're having to use one eye to hold it on the road

Firearms must only be taken in hand when a person is nothing short of 100% in their senses. Liquor impairs a person’s senses (even if ever so slightly).The two can’t be in the same sentence together. Having children around near a combination of these two things can only make a bad situation worse.

I’m happy that you earned a good chunk of winnings and enjoyed the day. But I’m also sure that you’ll be more careful from now on, since you’ve seen firsthand how easily accidents can happen. As the saying goes, “If something can go wrong, it will”. It’s not everyday that a mishap occurs, but they can. And when they do, the consequences can be very grim and far-reaching.

The United States is still the greatest nation on earth. Firearms enthusiasts like us are always envious of your relatively sensible gun laws. But gun control lobbyists are always trying to paint American gun owners in a negative light. Making it looks as if American gun owners take their easy access to firearms for granted and use them in most unreasonable manners. It’s wise not to give them more ammunition.

All the best.

Last edited:
Firearms must only be taken in hand when a person is 100% in their senses.Liquor impairs a person’s senses (even if ever so slightly).The two can’t be in the same sentence together.

I’m happy that you earned a good chunk of winnings and enjoyed the day. But I’m also sure that you’ll be more careful from now on, since you’ve seen firsthand how easily accidents can happen. As the saying goes, “If something can go wrong, it will”. It’s not everyday that a mishap occurs, but they can. And when they do, the consequences can be very grim and far-reaching.

The United States is still the greatest nation on earth. Firearms enthusiasts like us are always envious of your relatively sensible gun laws. But gun control lobbyists are always trying to paint American gun owners in a negative light. Making it looks as if American gun owners take their easy access to firearms for granted and use them in most unreasonable manners. It’s wise not to give them more ammunition.

All the best.
See guys, if you are going to tell somebody that you think what they did was a bad idea, this is how you do it. Everything he wrote is of course correct, but politely stated.

See guys, if you are going to tell somebody that you think what they did was a bad idea, this is how you do it. Everything he wrote is of course correct, but politely stated.

Can you seriously say this after the way you have called people out on this thread? I truly hope that your responses are just bravado and you are taking the feedback seriously. None of us want you to hurt yourself or anyone else.

Yes. I can very seriously say that. I have not "called out" anyone who did not first take this from what was supposed to be a funny post to being rude and out of line about the way they replied to me. Now you don't have to like or even agree with what I did, although judging by the reactions and some of the PM's that I have received there was certainly a crowd that found the story amusing, however I'm sure they dared not comment once they saw that the Dudley Do-right posse would come for them as well.
I think it is unfortunate for some people that the internet has provided a platform where they feel they can speak to people in any manner they wish with no fear of repercussions.
@Hunter-Habib clearly did not approve of my actions but was able to post that in a perfectly respectable way without calling anyone- stupid, a fool, inbred, hillbilly, or a drunk. I get it, it is a public internet forum and when you post a story like I did there may be some backlash. However, if you are the person administering said backlash and you get a little carried away with the language you use then you can't get your feelings hurt when you get "called out" I think that is only fair.

Dudley Do-right posse? Seriously?

Where gun safety is concerned, a Dudley Do-right approach is the only correct approach. Period. That's not an opinion; it is fact. A lax approach is why Baldwin is dealing with what he's dealing with.

My PH when I went to Africa would check to make sure the rifle was empty, after I did the same thing myself, before putting it on the truck. He knew of some mishaps others had made from having a lax approach. He said that some hunters got their feathers ruffled/egos bruised because they felt like he was treating them like they didn't know what they were doing. I had zero issue with it. Safety first. Always.

Alcohol + firearms = NoPe!

OK, I'm out on this one. For those who have been a voice of reason on this thread... kudos to you all.

Last edited:
. I have not "called out" anyone who did not first take this from what was supposed to be a funny post to being rude and out of line about the way they replied to me.

We obviously have a very different idea of what rude and out of line is. I don't ever consider making factual statements about safety to be rude, or out of line. The tone was definitely set early in this thread (and to be clear, I agree that some others followed your tone).

How is the below statement rude or out of line?

Your reply comes much closer to my definition of rude and uncalled for.
May have to put your purse down for some of my posts.

However, if you are the person administering said backlash and you get a little carried away with the language you use then you can't get your feelings hurt when you get "called out" I think that is only fair.

You think turn about is fair play, fair enough, I've done that myself. Just don't try to act like you've done nothing wrong here either in your actions that started it all or your responses to those, myself included, who called you out for unsafe behavior.
I think it is unfortunate for some people that the internet has provided a platform where they feel they can speak to people in any manner they wish with no fear of repercussions.

I agree wholeheartedly.

I'm sure they dared not comment once they saw that the Dudley Do-right posse would come for them as well

Nah.... @Hunting Hitman cleared stated he thought this whole thread was overblown and did it respectfully. I didn't see anyone be rude to him for a differing opinion. I don't think there are too many here that are afraid to post what they think publicly if they feel strongly enough about it.

Oh and we are almost two third of the way to page 12! Come on folks, we can do it! :A Rock:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HoraceBrei

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!