When is the load good enough for Dangerous Game

1706808824532.png

Sounds like your load will work fine. You will be very unlikely to shoot DG at much beyond 100 yards. Probably more like 40 to 60 yards for the initial shot.

I suggest that you build using new or once fired brass, crimp every round using a Lee FCD, load every finished round into the magazine of your rifle and cycle them through the action to assure function. Practice loading discipline to assure reliability. Shoot a couple hundred rounds from field positions under various conditions/

Hope you have a great hunt.

I did a bit of load testing for my 375HH M70. I was pleasantly surprised at shooting a 300gr barnes tsx and IMR4064 most all the charge weights printed around 1 inch at 100yards. Seated the bullet at 3.570 which is barnes published spec. Its really a nice safe load that functions well. I loaded up 20 more at 67.0 grains for practice and further testing. My thought is this, Its accurate enough at moa to hit at 300 yards, is seated deep enough to feed well and powder is mid range so I do not have to worry about over pressure on a hot day. If this was a smaller bore rifle I would play with seating depths and maybe other powders and really work in down to maybe 1/2 moa. But do I really need to?
I am tempted to load up some varget and see how that does, but then why waste the components?
I think, a consistent 1 MOA rifle load is pretty dang good. It does not seem like in too ancient of history, that 1 MOA was the sought after accuracy in a hunting rifle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gamebaidoithuong0

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.