Wheelchair hunter trying to find the best fit for 1st African hunt?

Ironside

Reaction score
Hi all, I am new to this forum and I appreciate any insight or advice. I am an experienced hunter who has not hunted in Africa, but I am ready to make it happen.

I am in my due diligence phase so as to make the best decision to fit my needs.

I will try and provide enough info to obtain informed advice from those willing to give it:

I am a wheelchair user who cannot walk due to a spinal cord injury, but can get around pretty well: I can climb on a 4 wheeler, side by side, truck, boat, plane etc. I am physically in good shape and work out at the gym and do long distance road hand-cycling to stay fit. My manual wheelchair is 25 in. wide (with my offroad tires) and weighs about 15lbs. I am not a big fan of stairs!

I am a crossbow and gun hunter, but lately mostly bow. I hunt pop ups when bow hunting over water holes and game trails, etc. I have Elk hunted with my bow off of my arm powered off-road handcycle, but it's a lot of work! I have hunted from trucks in the past plenty of times when necessary. I am mindful of my limitations and how they will translate to hunting in Africa, without being able to spot and stalk. But I am not a collector or true trophy hunter, more about the overall experience, especially a traditional African safari experience.

1. Ideally, I would like to do a bit of both bow and gun hunting.
2. I am not interested in hunting a high fenced property in Africa regardless of the size ( I have nothing against it and have done so many times) but not this time.
3. I am looking for a Plains Game hunt (special interest in Greater Kudu and Sable-in their natural range).
4. I wont turn them down, but don't need luxury accommodations and ,ironically, a tent camp setup is likely more wheelchair accessible than a big lodge, anyway.
5. I lean towards Zimbabwe or Mozambique (just based upon my armchair research). Namibia is a strong lean for a later family trip, which is in the works also.

Thanks again for any insight or advice!

I’d really advise you to look into low fence ranch hunts for plains game in Namibia. Kudu, gemsbok, warthog, steenbok, duiker, zebra, maybe a few others are all available free range pretty easily. No sable though. You can export two of each. You could shoot from truck and sit on some water holes. You’ll also find outfitters willing to accommodate you very easily so you can pick and choose.
Zimbabwe will be more difficult for you. I think many outfitters might not want to take your hunt for a variety of reasons. Most concession area hunts in Zimbabwe are built around dangerous game because the plains game can be very difficult there. There is no shooting from the truck in Zimbabwe. I’m not sure if a legal exception could be made or not in an area where you’d have good opportunities to shoot from vehicle. There is no shooting at waterholes on parks concessions so it will be very difficult for someone with limited mobility. The community areas can be very difficult because the game populations are generally much lower, but you are allowed to hunt waterholes in them. Some might not have roads directly to them though. You might consider a croc hunt over bait in Zimbabwe with plains game as opportunity allows. I think you might find some more interest from outfitters if a croc is primary animal.
I haven’t been to Mozambique but there appears to be some very game rich areas there if you’d be allowed to shoot from truck or at waterholes. However, something to consider on Mozambique. The logistics of getting to and getting around in Namibia are very easy. Even Zimbabwe is quite straightforward. Mozambique becomes much less functional Africa that could lead to some more problems that might not be ideal for a first trip.
I know you said no high fences, but there are properties where the fence is really beneficial to protect what’s inside. A big property that’s managed on sustainable quotas gives a really good hunt. It would open a lot more opportunities to you.

I’d really advise you to look into low fence ranch hunts for plains game in Namibia. Kudu, gemsbok, warthog, steenbok, duiker, zebra, maybe a few others are all available free range pretty easily. No sable though. You can export two of each. You could shoot from truck and sit on some water holes. You’ll also find outfitters willing to accommodate you very easily so you can pick and choose.
Zimbabwe will be more difficult for you. I think many outfitters might not want to take your hunt for a variety of reasons. Most concession area hunts in Zimbabwe are built around dangerous game because the plains game can be very difficult there. There is no shooting from the truck in Zimbabwe. I’m not sure if a legal exception could be made or not in an area where you’d have good opportunities to shoot from vehicle. There is no shooting at waterholes on parks concessions so it will be very difficult for someone with limited mobility. The community areas can be very difficult because the game populations are generally much lower, but you are allowed to hunt waterholes in them. Some might not have roads directly to them though. You might consider a croc hunt over bait in Zimbabwe with plains game as opportunity allows. I think you might find some more interest from outfitters if a croc is primary animal.
I haven’t been to Mozambique but there appears to be some very game rich areas there if you’d be allowed to shoot from truck or at waterholes. However, something to consider on Mozambique. The logistics of getting to and getting around in Namibia are very easy. Even Zimbabwe is quite straightforward. Mozambique becomes much less functional Africa that could lead to some more problems that might not be ideal for a first trip.
I know you said no high fences, but there are properties where the fence is really beneficial to protect what’s inside. A big property that’s managed on sustainable quotas gives a really good hunt. It would open a lot more opportunities to you.
Thanks for your thoughtful response. I hope I did not come across as too naive with my wish list. My strategy is to start with the wish list and work backwards toward something that is doable. Your insight is very helpful to that goal. Knowing the legal limitations helps narrows down some of my choices. I would definitely consider hunting a croc or even leopard over bait. I understand the economic risks to both the hunter and outfitter if I cannot be put into a position to take the shots on Plains Game and why that may cause some hesitation.

I would also lean towards Namibia but don’t leave a ranch in SA out of your search. There are plenty of places that could be very accommodating and would provide and excellent hunt.

I have hunted with a client that had similar challenges. I can only accommodate you though on our SA Ranch. 12 000 acres.

This client ended up taking two buffalo, Sable, and eland.

You are welcome to reach out if you would like more information. I am not a hard-core salesman unfortunately.

Hi all, I am new to this forum and I appreciate any insight or advice. I am an experienced hunter who has not hunted in Africa, but I am ready to make it happen.

I am in my due diligence phase so as to make the best decision to fit my needs.

I will try and provide enough info to obtain informed advice from those willing to give it:

I am a wheelchair user who cannot walk due to a spinal cord injury, but can get around pretty well: I can climb on a 4 wheeler, side by side, truck, boat, plane etc. I am physically in good shape and work out at the gym and do long distance road hand-cycling to stay fit. My manual wheelchair is 25 in. wide (with my offroad tires) and weighs about 15lbs. I am not a big fan of stairs!

I am a crossbow and gun hunter, but lately mostly bow. I hunt pop ups when bow hunting over water holes and game trails, etc. I have Elk hunted with my bow off of my arm powered off-road handcycle, but it's a lot of work! I have hunted from trucks in the past plenty of times when necessary. I am mindful of my limitations and how they will translate to hunting in Africa, without being able to spot and stalk. But I am not a collector or true trophy hunter, more about the overall experience, especially a traditional African safari experience.

1. Ideally, I would like to do a bit of both bow and gun hunting.
2. I am not interested in hunting a high fenced property in Africa regardless of the size ( I have nothing against it and have done so many times) but not this time.
3. I am looking for a Plains Game hunt (special interest in Greater Kudu and Sable-in their natural range).
4. I wont turn them down, but don't need luxury accommodations and ,ironically, a tent camp setup is likely more wheelchair accessible than a big lodge, anyway.
5. I lean towards Zimbabwe or Mozambique (just based upon my armchair research). Namibia is a strong lean for a later family trip, which is in the works also.

Thanks again for any insight or advice!
I don’t believe hunting in the field will be a problem for you. If you have developed a system for moving in the field in North America then that should translate well in Africa. I have every confidence that your PH will move heaven and earth to get it done. As you talk to PH’s also ask about access within their camps/lodges. In the U.S., since ADA, our infrastructure such as showers and bathrooms are designed for disabilities. I can think of some places that I have hunted where trying to get into and out of a shower could be a challenge. On the same note if you booked with those people they would completely rebuild the shower and bathroom for your needs. One of the highlights of hunting in Africa is a hot shower after a long day hunting. This sounds like a Great Adventure!

I don’t believe hunting in the field will be a problem for you. If you have developed a system for moving in the field in North America then that should translate well in Africa. I have every confidence that your PH will move heaven and earth to get it done. As you talk to PH’s also ask about access within their camps/lodges. In the U.S., since ADA, our infrastructure such as showers and bathrooms are designed for disabilities. I can think of some places that I have hunted where trying to get into and out of a shower could be a challenge. On the same note if you booked with those people they would completely rebuild the shower and bathroom for your needs. One of the highlights of hunting in Africa is a hot shower after a long day hunting. This sounds like a Great Adventure!
Thanks for the vote of confidence. I have crawled into bathrooms and up stairs when traveling and hunting abroad. You do what it takes. But, yes, at Africa prices it would be nice to have the little things all worked out!

I would also lean towards Namibia but don’t leave a ranch in SA out of your search. There are plenty of places that could be very accommodating and would provide and excellent hunt.
I understand crossbows are not legal in Namibia?

Your sense of humour is intact, so I dare say with some patience, the right outfitter will appear for you.

Are you able to visit the conventions?
Yes. I am going to Nashville. In my past experience with hunting guides the face to face is very important so they can gain a full understanding of the way I roll.

I just sent you a PM with someone to speak with a SCI as well as a few other names.

This has been a topic a few times on here, there were several outfitters who deal with clients in similar situations on a somewhat regular basis.

I would say, just knowing the personality and mindset of the outfitters and PHs, any of them worth their salt will do what it takes to make sure you have a good hunt. If that means cutting paths, building blinds, helping you move from truck to chair or chair to seats in blinds, they will make it happen.

I would try to convince you to maybe change your stance on the high fence. There are a number of outfitters who could give you a great African experience is SA. I’ve hunted SA, Zambia, and Zimbabwe. If I was putting together a trip for you, then it would be to SA.

But what I think isn’t nearly is important as what you want. You may be able to find an outfitter in Save in Zim to suit your needs. It would really come down to accessibility of the camp. I think you would do well hunting waterholes or other blind setups. Not sure they have sable.

I would try to convince you to maybe change your stance on the high fence. There are a number of outfitters who could give you a great African experience is SA. I’ve hunted SA, Zambia, and Zimbabwe. If I was putting together a trip for you, then it would be to SA.

But what I think isn’t nearly is important as what you want. You may be able to find an outfitter in Save in Zim to suit your needs. It would really come down to accessibility of the camp. I think you would do well hunting waterholes or other blind setups. Not sure they have sable.
Thanks. I go back and forth. I am talking to an outfitter in Moz (Niassa) who thinks we might be successful . I have no illusions about my success rate or lack thereof. I just want to make sure it is worth the trouble for the outfitter, being mindful of the importance of trophy fees to them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chandadelhiaerocity

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.