AH senior member
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Local Clubs, WSF, DU, SCI
Hunted
Canada (AB, SK, BC, YT), USA, MX, SA
Ya it's been a rough winter for most of Alberta. We have about 3x more snow at our place than we usually do... I'd lean towards Africa for a paid hunt as well. When you're planning on coming out to Alberta to hunt there are a few outfitters that take great animals every year. I know in that GP area there's one unfitted that takes HUGE mule deer and whitetail every year and another that puts BIG moose down consistently. I can get you info if you want. As far as elk go, that'd be a tag you could easily fill, but be prepared for a 300" bull. There are some big ones around but the odds of finding one on a short hunt are pretty slim.

Good luck however you choose!!

D

ar15meister

AH member
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
I ended up booking an African hunt for June 2014 for Cape Buffalo, Kudu and Impala. It will end up being way over budget but life is short. Thank you to all of you and to africahunting.com for the help. I cant believe I am going in 3 months!

Now I have to buy a rifle and optic. Going to look at a CZ550 in .375 this weekend. Also have a line on a new Winchester Model 70 in .458 Win Mag. I am leaning towards the .375 caliber but I cant find a Winchester and my favourite rifles are Winchester 70's. Issue is that in Canada it is difficult to order one and actually get it in time for my safari in early June. I found a new one in stock but it is in .458Win.

Royal27

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
DSC, NRA, SCI
Hunted
USA - TX, CO, GA, ID. Africa - Zimbabwe, Zambia, and South Africa (Limpopo and EC)
I ended up booking an African hunt for June 2014 for Cape Buffalo, Kudu and Impala. It will end up being way over budget but life is short. Thank you to all of you and to africahunting.com for the help. I cant believe I am going in 3 months!

Now I have to buy a rifle and optic. Going to look at a CZ550 in .375 this weekend. Also have a line on a new Winchester Model 70 in .458 Win Mag. I am leaning towards the .375 caliber but I cant find a Winchester and my favourite rifles are Winchester 70's. Issue is that in Canada it is difficult to order one and actually get it in time for my safari in early June. I found a new one in stock but it is in .458Win.

If you want the .458 for Cape Buff just take your deer rifle for Kudu and Impala.

That being said, I LOVE my CZ550 in .375 H&H. Of course I also want to buy a .458 Lott... ;)

And congrats!!! I have been planning since Nov 2012, and I don't get to go until August!

enysse

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
Northeast Wisconsin SCI chapter, Lifetime member of NRA,RMEF
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa (East Cape, Guateng and Limpopo)

Congrats, I feel you will have a great time. Good Luck on the rifle search!

Diamondhitch

AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.diamondhitch.webs.com
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Asia/M.East
Member of
SCI
Hunted
Canada (AB, SK, NWT, BC) USA (NM, TX) South Africa (Limpopo, KZN, Free State, Eastern Cape, Northen Cape), Kyrgyzstan, Czech Republic
You should give Bashaw Sports in Alberta a call, for a small shop they have been amazing when trying to locate hard to find items. Im glad a co-worker put me onto them some years back.

780-372-4440

ar15meister

AH member
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
I am just nervous about the recoil of the .458 win mag. I want to be able to shoot well. I also think it is nice to bring one gun. I already own a nice travel case for a single rifle and the 2 scoped gun travel cases are expensive.

I have never shot a rifle larger than my .308, which I shoot well. I have several other hunting and defense shotguns and a couple AR15's but I like my old model 70 Winchester .308 deer rifle, and I am a sentimental guy, so I have never bought or had the need for any other big game rifle.

Royal27

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
DSC, NRA, SCI
Hunted
USA - TX, CO, GA, ID. Africa - Zimbabwe, Zambia, and South Africa (Limpopo and EC)
I am just nervous about the recoil of the .458 win mag. I want to be able to shoot well. I also think it is nice to bring one gun. I already own a nice travel case for a single rifle and the 2 scoped gun travel cases are expensive.

I have never shot a rifle larger than my .308, which I shoot well. I have several other hunting and defense shotguns and a couple AR15's but I like my old model 70 Winchester .308 deer rifle, and I am a sentimental guy, so I have never bought or had the need for any other big game rifle.

If you just want one rifle I think it has to be the .375. I'd get it quick so that you can practice, a lot. I want to be very, very comfortable with my buff gun...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reviewmayruabat

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

eballo wrote on doubleboy's profile.
Is the Parker still for sale?
hunt 65 wrote on Bullthrower338's profile.
You ever sell the Hyme 458 Lott?
Bob Nelson 35Whelen wrote on jwp475's profile.
@jwp475
If you need help with your Whelen loads please PM me
Bob
xausa wrote on Challer's profile.
I don't know where you're located, but I'd be happy to let you try out my Krieghoff. I'm located in West Tennessee and the local gun club has a skeet layout and is located not far from my farm. We're about five miles from the Kentucky state line and about 100 miles west of Nashville.
I just joined today, I live in Louisiana. I joined mostly because of all of the 35 Whelen discussion as I am now very interested In the 35 Whelen. I have an 1885 Highwall that J.E.S.S. rebored to 35 Whelen

Also own 338s 375 and both a 416 rem and Rigby