What will be the follow on Vehicle now that Toyota Land-cruiser is no longer in production.

I'm ashamed to say that I don't know anything of the US made 4x4's - other than the CJ5 which I loved when I lived in Florida
Most American vehicles, including 4x4s, are getting more and more expensive, while being cheaper built. Things like heated seats, Bluetooth radios, 110 outlets, and every other electronic gizmo they can add, are apparently more important than a reliable vehicle. The 4x4s are even more so this way. The Ball joints (I prefer kingpins BTW) are not heavy enough for the job, tie rods are too light, the suspensions have enough sway bars, and anti roll crap to make them handle well on the road, that the suspension won’t flex.

I could continue my rant but you get the point.

I believe that my FJ-40 will outperform any current production US 4x4 in tough off-road conditions. I made a mistake and sold my ‘71. I will not repeat the error with my ‘69!

. . . The G Wagon is a great machine, but unless you could lay your hands on one of the simplified Bundeswehr models, it would be a nightmare to maintain in the bush. Frankly it would be a nightmare regardless with no real logistics support structure south of the Sahara.With all the S models in every Capital City in Africa, get the G service should be easy.

With all the S models in every Capitol City in Africa, service should not be a problem for a G.

I'm ashamed to say that I don't know anything of the US made 4x4's - other than the CJ5 which I loved when I lived in Florida

I did a few overland trips in a landrover discovery Mk 1 into which I dropped a 6.2 litre GMC V8 diesel.

Great for playing - but as a serious remote overland vehicle? - No, not my finest hour.

I still have it though - the chickens use it for roosting
Do land rovers have any other use other than as a chicken run? :A Stirring:

I did a few overland trips in a landrover discovery Mk 1 into which I dropped a 6.2 litre GMC V8 diesel.

Great for playing - but as a serious remote overland vehicle? - No, not my finest hour.

I still have it though - the chickens use it for roosting

I bought my first 100 series Land Cruiser in 2000 and currently have a 2018 200 series. The 200 series is being replaced by the 300 series. Whether or not it will be sold in the US and when is, I think, not known. There is speculation that the 300 series will be sold in the US under the Lexus product line only.

Africa was built on the back of a Land cruiser! We stopped using Landrover in 1990 although they usually got us through the swollen Pitsane river and mud when the Land cruisers couldn’t! I still have a soft spot for series 1 and 2 Landies but to be honest when there’s graft to be done it’s the cruiser that does it. Daily drive is a 200 series GX and work car a 79 DC pickup. The GX is undoubtedly the best car I’ve ever owned. Just enough comfort but not too many frills.
Don’t see Japan killing the 79 anytime soon. I mean what will the Insurgents use to mount the BM 50 on?

I've seen the unimog equiv used for carrying large groups of ''bush tourists'' about in SA but, though I love the unimog, it is not the vehicle for day to day bush work.

I don't know how Toyota did it - but they nailed it with the 70 series

Heavy duty gearbox, clutch and diffs (lockable), coils on the front and leaves on the back (for carrying weight) and narrow enough to get through the bush.

A simple and powerful engine with low end grunt.

Reliable and quality and cheap.

Basically everything that Landrover failed to deliver through too many compromises and, more recently, a target audience geared towards the shopping mall warrior

And as for electronic crap - electric windows is one gadget too many !!

Unfortunately not cheap here...around usd 90,000 I think from memory with the D/C about 5000 more....but are the best...

Scroll down to the bottom of this article and watch a video on a seriously cool, they don't make like this anymore, 4x4 Dodge Power Wagon.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-09-24 at 8.27.09 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-09-24 at 8.27.09 AM.png
    385.6 KB · Views: 41
  • Screen Shot 2021-09-24 at 8.27.11 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-09-24 at 8.27.11 AM.png
    511.2 KB · Views: 44
  • Screen Shot 2021-09-24 at 8.27.13 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-09-24 at 8.27.13 AM.png
    480.7 KB · Views: 46
  • Screen Shot 2021-09-24 at 8.27.15 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-09-24 at 8.27.15 AM.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 46

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaeMorris

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross