What was your best firearm deal?

Altitude sickness

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
It doesn’t have to mean the least you have paid.
And you don’t need to list the price or trade.

My reason for posting is today I shot my second rifle purchased from NTO on this site for the first time.
NTO had a Remington O3-A3 in .458WM that had been for sale for a bit. My first time seeing the post, it was lowered to $700. I definitely did not need it. But hey, why not give it a go.

So today I took 4 rifles to a friends old gravel pit.
After being more precise with a double and two bolt rifles.

I pulled out the .458, put it on the hood of my beater and shot at the 50 yard target. The sights were dead nuts, the trigger is very good, and the stock makes it a pussy cat.

Bored with punching paper it was time to just find random objects and hit everyone of them Rocks, sticks, weeds.

It’s a very practice tool type rifle. It would make a great PH rifle or back up rifle.

NTO really sandbagged on the 2 rifles I bought from him. So if anyone is considering the double he is selling now. He usually undersells them.
IMG_1496.jpeg
IMG_1497.jpeg
IMG_1498.jpeg
IMG_1499.jpeg

I bought a very little used 1967 made 7x57mm Mauser Churchill Gunmakers Model Deluxe in 1989 for the equivalent of $70.
IMG_1215.jpeg

My adventures with it only get better as we both grow older.
IMG_1512.jpeg

IMG_2307.jpeg

IMG_1531.jpeg

IMG_1800.jpeg

IMG_1532.jpeg
IMG_1533.jpeg
IMG_2749.jpeg
IMG_2751.jpeg
IMG_2752.jpeg

It doesn’t have to mean the least you have paid.
And you don’t need to list the price or trade.

My reason for posting is today I shot my second rifle purchased from NTO on this site for the first time.
NTO had a Remington O3-A3 in .458WM that had been for sale for a bit. My first time seeing the post, it was lowered to $700. I definitely did not need it. But hey, why not give it a go.

So today I took 4 rifles to a friends old gravel pit.
After being more precise with a double and two bolt rifles.

I pulled out the .458, put it on the hood of my beater and shot at the 50 yard target. The sights were dead nuts, the trigger is very good, and the stock makes it a pussy cat.

Bored with punching paper it was time to just find random objects and hit everyone of them Rocks, sticks, weeds.

It’s a very practice tool type rifle. It would make a great PH rifle or back up rifle.

NTO really sandbagged on the 2 rifles I bought from him. So if anyone is considering the double he is selling now. He usually undersells them.
View attachment 557448View attachment 557449View attachment 557450View attachment 557451
Easy answer for me. My Westley Richards 500 NE DR from France for $12000 and $1300 to get it to US then $1400 to JJ Perodeau to make it perfect

Winchester 70 stainless classic in 375 H&H… a total of 6 rounds had been shot through it… I got the original box of ammo with 14 live rounds and 6 once fired cases with the rifle… also got a second box of ammo with it (original Barnes X loaded by PMC)…

$600 out the door…

:)

I traded an AH Fox 20 ga Sterlingworth for what was supposed to be a 1E LC Smith 12ga with Damascus barrels both guns were 95%+. I took it to show my buddy, an LC Smith collector known far and wide for his collection and knowledge, and he said “what a beautiful A1 and with a straight grip to boot”. Only 738 made before 1900, It’s been a fantastic grouse gun I’ve enjoyed for years.

Went to an (now old-school, outlawed by the Left) gun show, as I always did with my son as we live close to many states and frequented them ALL!...guy has the most beautiful, custom (native tiger maple/blk walnut) wood stainless Rem Mod 7 in 7 RSAUM...the show is winding down, all sellers are packing up...except this one..he looks distraught...i say what will you take for it??? He breaks down and says "Mannnn lol not FJB but....I really need snow tires on my truck. I say how much will that cost and he exclaims "$600." I paid him faster than Jesse Owens delivering BBQ. That gun was worth $2K easily at that moment, decades ago. I bedded it, put a trigger in, good mounts/scope and had it magna-ported. Since then, i took the artwork off and put an HS precision stock on it (fully AL bedded) and my Son will never let me use it again. LOL
1694741825341.png

Last edited:
Fire sale during a divorce. Best/worst type of guns to buy.

I landed this pair after digging through piles of old targets: early 70’s Mdl 700 .270-sub MOA everytime with 150 gr BTSP- and an 870 20 ga Wingmaster with two barrels.

Can’t say what I paid, but it was a steal. Love both those guns.

I just remembered an even better deal than the 375 mentioned above..

Gun show in Allen TX about 5 years ago… I saw a rifle with an old beater tasco scope and some Walmart rings on it… surface rust everywhere… stock was horribly in need of refinishing… with a price tag of $350 on it…

A closer inspection revealed some absolutely wonderful gun smith work.. a custom trigger guard, really tight fit and clean lines on all components… and underneath all the grime on the stock was a beautiful AAA grade piece of walnut and under the surface rust was a super bright bore and nearly new rifling in the barrel of a custom p14 enfield chambered in 300 H&H… it also already had a timney sportsman trigger in it..

Out the door the gun cost me $300 even…

About $300 in new bluing and a whole lot of elbow grease to get the stock refinished…

It’s now bar none the most beautiful rifle in my safe… I’d guess it’s value is north of $2k…

I just remembered an even better deal than the 375 mentioned above..

Gun show in Allen TX about 5 years ago… I saw a rifle with an old beater tasco scope and some Walmart rings on it… surface rust everywhere… stock was horribly in need of refinishing… with a price tag of $350 on it…

A closer inspection revealed some absolutely wonderful gun smith work.. a custom trigger guard, really tight fit and clean lines on all components… and underneath all the grime on the stock was a beautiful AAA grade piece of walnut and under the surface rust was a super bright bore and nearly new rifling in the barrel of a custom p14 enfield chambered in 300 H&H… it also already had a timney sportsman trigger in it..

Out the door the gun cost me $300 even…

About $300 in new bluing and a whole lot of elbow grease to get the stock refinished…

It’s now bar none the most beautiful rifle in my safe… I’d guess it’s value is north of $2k…
show us a pic when you get the chance! some enfields (A-sq, Eddystone conversions) are quite nice! (i took tascos off bb guns!) lol

Forgot about a left handed Savage 30'06 I traded an Alpine subwoofer and $75 for--it was a birthday gift for my youngest brother who was barely old enough to hunt with it. You should have seen his face!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BuddyBrode

Latest profile posts

Redfishga1 wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I would be interested in the ruger if the other guy is not.
Bartbux wrote on franzfmdavis's profile.
Btw…this was Kuche….had a great time.
Sorry to see your troubles on pricing.

Happy to call you and talk about experience…I’m also a Minnesota guy.
Ready for the next hunt