What TV hunting personality?

Andy and Michelle are brother and sister. Michelle married Chad the hunter that was on most of their shows and is now here in the states.

If memory serves.....
I can see that. Could always tell they had something going on when watching the show

I always enjoyed Under Wild Skies and Tony Makris. Though he seemed rather pompous, he made Africa hunting intriguing and aristocratic to me. Not sure of his culpability, if any in the NRA downfall.

Billy Molls. Seems grounded.

I always enjoyed Under Wild Skies and Tony Makris. Though he seemed rather pompous, he made Africa hunting intriguing and aristocratic to me. Not sure of his culpability, if any in the NRA downfall.

My understanding is Makris, via his advertising agency and the NRA were simply passing money back and forth and having a good time on everyone else's dime.

My understanding is Makris, via his advertising agency and the NRA were simply passing money back and forth and having a good time on everyone else's dime.
That is sad indeed.

Mark Sullivan, maybe not for an entire week but just for a day or two. I met him very briefly on my Safari - he was leaving Camp as I was arriving, spoke for only a few minutes. I’m well aware that he is somewhat unpopular with many PH’s and mine also was rather “cool” when speaking of him. I don’t care for the hunting style he promotes in his videos and recognize his strong self-promoting personality as something that could get ”old” quick. Here’s what I’m “guessing” might be interesting: his sense of humor - he was funny, polite, and very cordial during our brief meeting, His “off beat” opinions would make for good debate - never boring. I might get to shoot his .600NE?, etc…. I am Not a fan of his videos (or the hunting style shown on them) and no idea what he is really like, but think he knows how to self promote and make $$. Even his detractors seem to agree he can shoot a big double better than most. I’ve hunted with many Guides - some good very guides - and admired their skills and work ethic but I’d be willing to risk at least “one day“ hunting with someone “off beat”, funny, and a good story teller….nothing serious, just entertaining. I think that most TV personalities are Not what they appear to be when you meet them in real life - some are different and a disappointment and maybe some are “better”….I’d have to spend time with them to form my own opinion.

Tony Makris has been a friend for twenty years and we have competed together in the pigeon ring enough to probably qualify for counseling. We have had a grand time shooting driven pheasants and busting coveys, That said, when it comes to big game hunting and particularly Africa, I am strictly in the camp with @Happy Myles.

O, and by the way, I do not want to be in the same grid square with Tim Herald if he has a rifle in his hands or even access to one. :oops:

. . . O, and by the way, I do not want to be in the same grid square with Tim Herald if he has a rifle in his hands or even access to one. :oops:

I would presume CB’s daughter too.

Last edited:
I have met alot of hunting personalities or celebrities. The only one I would really want to hunt with would be Melissa Bachman. I met her 5 or 6 years ago, and she definitely has a passion for hunting. I would like to share a camp with Jim Shockey, just to hear some of his stories. Kip Campbell would be hilarious to hunt with.

But for the most part, if given the choice I would pick a few friends or PHs to hunt with over any celebrity.

Considering I have no clue what any of these folks off screen personalities are I don't think I could pick one.

Tom Miranda always seemed down to earth and enthusiastic in a good way but who knows. Very successful as a bow hunter as well. He has his own hunting places in SA. I would probably choose to have him take me trapping.

Hank Parker seems like a good guy and loves to hunt.

Considering I have no clue what any of these folks off screen personalities are I don't think I could pick one.

Tom Miranda always seemed down to earth and enthusiastic in a good way but who knows. Very successful as a bow hunter as well. He has his own hunting places in SA. I would probably choose to have him take me trapping.

Hank Parker seems like a good guy and loves to hunt CJW, agree on Tom Miranda - he started as a Trapper and knows hunting “from the ground up”. I’ve never met him however, I arrived in an Illonoi
CJW, agree on Tom Miranda, he started as a Trapper and made good videos - knows his hunting “from the ground up” as most good trappers do. I never met him but did go on a Guided Deer bow hunt in Illinois 10 years ago and Tom was there hunting the week before I arrived. The Guides all liked him and so did one of the Hunters that remained in Camp for an extra week. Guides liked him because he paid for his hunt like everyone else and “tipped”, they said he knew his stuff but asked for advice and was not a know-it-all (He did Not get a deer but still rebooked for following year). The other hunter said Tom was also interested in their hunting day and stories — listened to them more then he talked about himself….sounds “refreshing”.
I’ve had TV hunting Show crews in three Camps when I was hunting (2 Caribou hunts in Quebec and 1 pheasant hunt in SD). All were obnoxious and None tipped their Guide including even after a 7 day Caribou hunt where they All tagged out on good bulls and their hunt was Free. The Guide/Owner said he would Not have anymore Hunting shows crews in his Camp unless they pay full price like everyone else. On the SD Pheasant hunt, my Son and I had to have our hunt interrupted for a morning because our Guide (that we paid for) had to place out pen raised pheasants in a field for the camera crew to film being shot (they were unable to get wild birds on film the day before). We assisted in a “drive” and their 5 hunters “blocked” the end of a field. We were asked Not to shoot any pheasant unless they flew back towards us and overhead. We pushed about 15-20 pheasant up and down to their hunters—-lots of shots rang out but only 1-2 birds fell. One rooster flew back at us and my Son shot it overhead, it fell almost on him. Then we heard one of their hunters yelling “I’m hit, hit in the arm, not bad”…apparently one of their Hunters shot another in cross fire - a few pellets penetrated, some blood but not bad. Later they filmed some of their guys “shooting in the air - at nothing” then yelling “Nice shot” etc.. They asked if they could have the pheasant my Son shot - added that to their game bag. We eventually saw the hunting show episode - Nothing was “real”, the Hunter that was shot was edited out, my Son’s overhead shot was caught on camera but “credited to one of their Hunters” — it was All fake, staged. Worst - they never tipped our Guide for 4 hours of his time that morning - but we tipped him!!

Last edited:
That time has passed. Me? Not TV, but celebrity (somewhat): I'd love to have had a chance to hunt or fish with Patrick McManus.
Great choice! Expect chaos, rainy weather and few opportunities...but the fishing and hunting was great only a week ago!

I love Rinellas show, but think he would be a difficult personality to enjoy. I think I would really enjoy Jim Shockey in camp, as long as he wasnt "on the job". From what I have read, I think I would have really enjoyed Fred Bears company, and probably Skeeter Skeltons (both of course writers, not TV celebrities...I honestly dont watch any of the current shows except "Meat Eater", when I can find it.
They all tend to be way too competitive and pressured for my relaxed mode of hunting. I like that Rinella (as often as not) eats track soup. My favorite episode was when he was flintlock deer hunting in PA. I relate well.

I don't understand the fascination. Their job is to sell themselves or products to you. By definition they are 100% self-promoting. That is neither good nor bad, it is what it is. By pure chance I've run into some of them over the years but my MO is different from theirs so our paths rarely cross- a good thing I believe. I don't think I've missed out on anything :)

I’d want to turkey hunt with Ronnie “Cuz” Strickland. I can’t think of a more genuine person on TV.

I’ve made it a habit to steer clear of outfits that cater to celebrities. So have zero desire to hunt with a Hunting “celebrity”.

Now I would have loved to have the honor of sharing a camp with Chuck Yeager

he wasn’t a celebrity. But a true American Icon

I didn’t hunt with them but I got to meet Ralph and Vikki from Archer’s Choice in Alaska. I was coming into hunt brown bear and they had just finished a brown bear hunt. We went and ate supper together at the little diner in town and they were generous enough to pick up the tab. This was in 2008. Very nice folks and were just as down to earth as could be. We had a good time fellowshipping over supper and then we went our separate ways the next day. I would share a hunt camp with them anytime.

I don't understand the fascination. Their job is to sell themselves or products to you. By definition they are 100% self-promoting. That is neither good nor bad, it is what it is. By pure chance I've run into some of them over the years but my MO is different from theirs so our paths rarely cross- a good thing I believe. I don't think I've missed out on anything :)

Yup. Meateater’s goal is to be a 100 million dollar company. They are heavily financed by The Chernin Group - essentially they are getting people interested in the outdoors to sell them stuff. That is a far cry from when rinella wrote his first book.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silas81Z69

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.