What powder for brass solids in a 500 NE?

matt85

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
USA, South Africa, and Namibia
I'm trying to get my Heym to regulate with Woodleigh hydro's and Barnes banded solids and ive pretty much hit a dead end with RL-15 powder. so the question is, what powder should I try next?

ive got a pretty decent load using IMR 4350 with Swift A-frames but this powder really doesn't work with brass bullets due to case capacity.

the gun was regulated with Federal ammunition loaded with Woodleigh hydro's so I know its possible... just a matter of figuring it out.

thank you
-Matt

Bullthrower338

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
Life Member Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, NRA, Huntin' Fool, DSC and Pope and Young Club
Hunted
USA, Mexico, Canada, RSA, Australia NT, Zimbabwe
VV-N540 looks like it might be a good choice and H380

Uintaelkhunter

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI
Hunted
RSA,Mozambique,Zim,USA,Asia
I would guess something in the burn range of H380,H4350 should work but kinda surprised the IMR 4350 does not have enough case capacity you tried. Will be following thou. As I have a Heym 500 as well it is regulated for the hornady bullets and I bought 250 rnds loaded ammo to work thru before I start handloading for it. Then I plan to switch over to the north fork solids and work up a load.

matt85

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
USA, South Africa, and Namibia
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GioUno

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Rifle57 wrote on Rimshot's profile.
I bought some bullets from Rimshot and he is good to trade with!
Greetings all! I've been a hunter for 50 years, but only now planning a trip to Africa. I was fortunate and successfully bid on a couple hunts for plains game in SA later this year and next. Also a rare Native Texas (5th generation) and USMC Vet. Hunt safe y'all!
uujm wrote on trg's profile.
I am looking for a Safari Express. Was yours made in New Haven or South Carolina? Any other details you can give me? I am very motivated to buy.
pimes wrote on flatwater bill's profile.
Hello Bill - can you tell me that landowner/ranch/outfitter - Thank you!
Pete0905 wrote on damundsen87's profile.
Hello
Is the Khales 1-6 still for sale?
Thanks
Josh