What powder for brass solids in a 500 NE?

matt85

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
USA, South Africa, and Namibia
I'm trying to get my Heym to regulate with Woodleigh hydro's and Barnes banded solids and ive pretty much hit a dead end with RL-15 powder. so the question is, what powder should I try next?

ive got a pretty decent load using IMR 4350 with Swift A-frames but this powder really doesn't work with brass bullets due to case capacity.

the gun was regulated with Federal ammunition loaded with Woodleigh hydro's so I know its possible... just a matter of figuring it out.

thank you
-Matt

VV-N540 looks like it might be a good choice and H380

I would guess something in the burn range of H380,H4350 should work but kinda surprised the IMR 4350 does not have enough case capacity you tried. Will be following thou. As I have a Heym 500 as well it is regulated for the hornady bullets and I bought 250 rnds loaded ammo to work thru before I start handloading for it. Then I plan to switch over to the north fork solids and work up a load.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bkNen

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross