What makes hunting Eland special?

Discussion in 'Hunting Africa' started by dmyers, Jan 9, 2018.

1. CAustin

CAustin AH ENABLER BRONZE SUPPORTER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Courtney Hunting Club, NRA Life Member, SCI Kansas City Chapter
    Hunted:
    South Africa, KwaZulu Natal, Kalahari, Northwest, Limpopo, Gauteng, APNR Kruger Area. USA Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas, New Mexico, North Carolina and Texas
    B08B5183-043A-428F-A7B7-6A24BE54CE57.jpeg

I agree with @reedy0312. Would definitely hunt one again.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2018
    Vanguard2279, 375 Ruger Fan and Lee M like this.

2. jacques smith

jacques smith AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Congrats to all that posted pictures, they are all impressive. I’d rather date Florida girls than Texas girls cause they have fewer guns I need an eland to complete spiral slam and have hunted them several times, so far I haven’t found the ONE. Gives me a good excuse to keep going back cheers

Red Leg likes this.

3. Bos en Dal Safaris

Bos en Dal Safaris SPONSOR Since 2014 AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    PHASA, SA Hunter & Conservation
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Botswana
    Then you should defenately go after elannd while there. To me Namibia is the one place to hunt a proper eland. And do it by tracking it on foot. Then you will know what the hype is about. They can go for miles if they get into that trot so commonly seen. If they have watered before you get on the track prepare yourself for a long days walk. But a successfull end will be a sweet reward.
    Good luck and enjoy the trip

dmyers, IvW and Vanguard2279 like this.

4. fourfive8

fourfive8 AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    USA, South Africa, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Botswana
  5. fourfive8

fourfive8 AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    USA, South Africa, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Botswana
    Good thoughts! But after a few miles tracking eland in that soft, fine, strangely slick Kalahari sand in the middle of the day, reassess and report back :) Shoot straight!

barbells.and.arrows likes this.

6. Redruff

Redruff AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Botswana, RSA, Scotland, Canada
    What makes Eland special?

Well...just wait until you spend days tracking down your big blue bull with his old worn down tips, his huge flap and the dark colour on his snout...only then will you realize what a special beast he is.

Best of luck with your pursuit.

R.

Vanguard2279 and dmyers like this.

7. neckdeep

neckdeep AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI DSC DU Pheasants Forever
    Hunted:
    Zimbabwe, Mozambique, USA, Argentina
    IMG_0297.JPG

The tracking and the sheer size of the animal, (no ground shrinkage on a big old blue bull) are a couple of good reasons. On my one and only eland thus far we cut fresh tracks and followed him for a short while. When I saw him in front he had already saw us, he just waited a split second to long. Walking up on him I was in shock and awe of the size.

8. IvW

IvW AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    BASA, CHASA
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Botswana, Namibia,Zambia
    If hunting Eland the right way(tracking and not from the back of a truck or a blind) it can be more difficult than hunting Cape buffalo.

Cape buffalo are much more predictable than Eland. Buffalo will typically water twice a day. After the morning drink you can be assured that if you track them you will catch up with them when the day heats up. With Eland it is a different story. They do not need to water everyday, they do not always stop for an afternoon siesta. Once they realise you are after them they just keep going.

As mentioned once they start on their trot only a bushman can keep up.

Heaven help you if you wound a big bull, they can keep going forever and can absorb a remarkable amount of lead before succumbing.

I have only spent more time walking hunting elephant.

I well remember a hunt where two clients, a father and son had wounded a large eland bull out of a bachelor herd of 5 large bulls(all where shooters with large tufts and dewlaps) using a 458 Lott they had brought along in preparation of a Buffalo hunt the next year.

The clacking of the hooves of the 5 bulls was clear as they approached us through the bush. We had picked up the tracks of these 5 bulls early in the morning after dragging the roads the previous evening. The bulls had become aware of our presence and had commenced with their famous trot to put distance between us and them.

We had an idea of where the bulls where headed and we left the tracks to try and ambush them. They came trotting by about 30 yards from our position and the client took aim at the second bull. At the shot the Eland jumped about 8 feet in the air and after hitting the ground on all four legs opened the afterburners! All 5 bulls disappeared into the bush in a huge cloud of dust!

The shot was placed a bit too far forward and had hit the bull in the brisket. Small spots of blood was found and the trackers commenced tracking. Blood soon stopped and we stayed on the tracks. The track of our bull showed that he was walking normally and that the right rear hoofprint had a distinct twist in it which we used to ensure that we were tracking the right bull.

Tracking continued for the rest of the day(the bull was wounded at about 08h30 in the morning). Two despondent clients and us headed of to camp after marking the tracks when it became too dark to continue.

The mood in camp was a bit somber and sore feet was the order of the day. All were off to bed early and back on the track at first light.

Not long after we resumed tracking, we found where the bulls had stopped to feed and bedded for a while during the night. The trackers started sorting out the tracks and after about 45 minutes they determined that the 5 bulls had been joined by a younger bull during the night. The 4 big bulls that were with our bull had departed and the younger bull had remained with our bull and they headed of in a different direction.

To make a long story short, we tracked our bull until lunch time(that we had on the tracks in the bush), when the father announced that he could go no further.

Bearing in mind that we had not seen any of these Eland again or any further blood since the shot was taken the previous morning. Despite the trackers and our words of encouragement that we were confident that we would find the Eland he could go no further. We summoned the truck on the radio taking the father to camp and the rest of got back on the track. By 16H00 the son could no longer continue. We again reassured him that we were now close. The trackers were adamant that we would get our Eland before dark. He just could not carry on. The truck was again summoned and met us at the closest track we could find. The father had come along and they both decided to wait in the truck as it was getting late. We again continued on the track and within 45 minutes of resuming we got our first glimpse of our bull. Rifles went up and a 375 H&H and 416 Rigby barked at the same time, slowing the bull down. Another two shots from each rifle well placed eventually finished the bull.

It was a great hunt and a positive outcome and both clients could not contain their emotions as we left them with this magnificent bull for a private moment as both burst into tears.

So yes hunting large Eland bulls can be hard work but is extremely rewarding!

All the best to you and make an Eland one of your priority animals, you will not be sorry.

9. Bos en Dal Safaris

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Botswana
    Very nice bull!!!

10. Bos en Dal Safaris

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Botswana
    Very nice write up. I am glad you managed to put it down in the end

IvW likes this.

11. Philip Glass

Philip Glass AH ENABLER LIFETIME BRONZE BENEFACTOR AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, Life SCI, Life DSC, Life EWA
    Hunted:
    RSA, Namibia, Kyrgyzstan, Austria, Australia, Zimbabwe, Texas
    I’ll admit Eland we’re not top of my list years ago. My Namibia Hunt was really fun and it was a tracking affair through some scenic places. Climbing the koppies to glass was much fun!
    Philip

4E95A137-3B86-4B7C-B2B8-6153CAE2732E.jpeg A34CCDF2-8DED-4084-914C-FB03B3973954.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2018

12. dmyers

dmyers AH Veteran

Hunted:
    Namibia, Canada,
    Sounds like Eland hunting might be just my type of hunt. Thanks for the photos, stories and advice. I love the fact that every animal has its own unique challenges and rewards for the hunter. Especially when they are hard to get. Another hunt to look forward to - and save up for.

13. Scott Slough

Scott Slough AH Fanatic

Member of:
    SCI, Pineywoods SCI, NAHC, TTH
    Hunted:
    USA, South Africa (Eastern Cape)
    All I know is George Straight doesn't have any exes in Florida !

Good luck with your Eland hunt!!!

14. Hallgeir Gravråk

Hallgeir Gravråk AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI Nordic Chapter
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Namibia
    The Eland hunt is fun and you can get really tired, after tracking them hours after hours, but when you get him. It`s a fantastic moment.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Vanguard2279, Shootist43 and Red Leg like this.

15. Shootist43

Shootist43 AH ENABLER GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA
    Hunted:
    Michigan, Texas, Missouri, Limpopo Province South Africa
    IvW, now I see why you said that a 404 Jeffery cannot be considered "overkill " when used on Eland. I will be extra careful about where I place my first and hopefully last shot.

IvW likes this.

16. Hutch01

Hutch01 AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    DSC, SCI
    Hunted:
    RSA East Cape 4X, Mozambique, NZ, Namibia
    Bill- I recognize Lammie Ferriera in your first eland photo. I will be hunting with him for eland mid- may. What ranch did you harvest that eland on?

17. IvW

IvW AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    BASA, CHASA
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Botswana, Namibia,Zambia
    That is all you need to do my friend.
    All the best on your hunt.

Jeffrey Masters likes this.

18. Jeffrey Masters

Jeffrey Masters AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    SA, Mexico, Lower 48, Alaska
    The best hunt of my safari, without a doubt. I heard the clacking hooves too many times. After some extremely long walks and some great work by the tracker, I finally got a shot on my bull. Quartering away, the .338 Barnes did it's job, taking out the heart, liver, and both lungs. The bull made it 30 feet. The hunt of a lifetime for me. Take the time to hunt one, the right way, and you will never forget the experience.

19. BWH

BWH AH ENABLER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Ducks Unlimited, Texas Trophy Hunters, Trout Unlimited, SCI, DSC & NRA
    Hunted:
    USA & RSA
    Personally, I really enjoyed it.... given their size. The are extremely fast & elusive. I got to hunt monster bulls in the drakensberg mountains of KZN. Amazing experience. They are so damn big & can vanish in seconds.

dmyers likes this.

20. tarbe

tarbe AH ENABLER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life, Handloaders Anonymous
    Hunted:
    USA, South Africa, Zimbabwe
    Lammie is a good dude and a great PH. You'll love hunting with him.

Calling @billc