What is the TRUE cost of my African Hunting Safari!

Hi guys
Been scratching on this site for a while and have done some posts, however I have found mostly from feedback from my clients or other fellow hunters that have hunted Africa that there seems to be some confusion regarding total costs or total safari breakdowns, this is a subject that comes up far to often and can leave a bitter taste or a disappointing end to what would have been the perfect safari.

Does all inclusive really mean what it should, and while most or many of these potential costs are not payable to the outfitter we as outfitters could surely prepare our guests for such expenses it would be good to get a complete frame work on this (orn a norm so to speak) I truly believe that it would make the booking process for hunters much easier (less complicated) and remove any uncertainty that there might be, I would like some feedback from hunters and outfitters alike to see what we as a group can come up with.

These could potentially include:
* Pro-forma invoices Dipping packing
* Shipping (pro forma invoice)
* Additional taxes if any
* Taxidermy
* Average on tipping
* Full quote on additional species at time of booking.
* Pricing on additional flights, inland commercial or charter, and if so pricing on overnight guest housing, does this include dinner or only breakfast.
* All services that we truly include whilst on safari, transfers to non hunting activities for wives as well as pricing on those transfers and on activities themselves.
* So called free species(Varmint) any Cities or permit fees should you decide to export
* What does moderation mean (maybe I'm really happy after shooting a big kudu for 2 days? And feel like a party does this still fall under the term moderation, or rather when do I start paying and how much.)
* Possible costs on international airfare, as well as cost on inland flights to designated gateway cities.
* Visa costs if any.
* Pre arranged rifle importation

Keep in mind while I understand that there are allot of variables we (outfitters) also need to remeber that we should truly be able to list all costs directly related to visiting with us or as direct result of taking a trophy or exportable animal,

These are all things that seems simple to us but they are concerns especially for the budget minded hunter, who we all depend on.

My point is that trophies fees and daily rates do by no means constitute a complete breakdown on all safari costs involved, as outfitters do we really give our clients a complete breakdown on all safari costs involved, We are their/your contact/route/gateway to Africa and I feel that Ultimately we as outfitters should be responsible for providing clients potential or booked with all information instead of shrugging it off as non related costs.

No matter which way we cut it in the end is part of safari expenses. Would really appreciate some positive feedback to see where we as outfitters can better ourselves and make the whole booking process less complicated.

Thought it would be good to start this as it is just before Vegas and some other shows.

My best always
By the time you include taxidermy costs, shipping, air fairs, tips, unforseen and planned hotel nights, food and beverages as you wait at the airport, taxis to the airport and all the other little costs that you didn't plan for but do add up. You can just about take the price of a basic 5 animal Plains Game hunt and double it.

True!, yet it all depends how and when you fly, what you do in terms of taxidermy etc.
I believe you are reasonably accurate though.
My best as always,
Jaco
By the time you include taxidermy costs, shipping, air fairs, tips, unforseen and planned hotel nights, food and beverages as you wait at the airport, taxis to the airport and all the other little costs that you didn't plan for but do add up. You can just about take the price of a basic 5 animal Plains Game hunt and double it.

True!, yet it all depends how and when you fly, what you do in terms of taxidermy etc.
I believe you are reasonably accurate though.
My best as always,
Jaco
I would add the Africa Hunts are probably some of the most comprehensive, inclusive hunts that are easy on the wallet in terms of additional costs. One example is that you dont need to go out and buy yourself expensive hunting clothing, spotting scopes, sleeping bags etc.

Conversely try booking your self an Ibex Hunt to Mid Asia. Aside from the actual cost of the hunt you can just watch your bank account draining out in real time until you return home.

I just got back from a May 2022 hunt in South Africa, so I can give you a good idea of the true cost. I took 8 animals in total during an 8 day hunt. I took Sable, Kudu, Gemsbok, Impala, Springbok, Blesbok, Blue Wildebeest and Zebra. The hunt cost about $14,000, my flight was about $2800, I tipped about $1700 in total. I elected to do 7 pedestal wall mounts and a rug done, the taxidermy was $3000. I elected to fly my heads back instead shipping by container, so it cost about $5400, and the US custom clearance fees and delivery was $ 1350. I will say that you could save on taxidermy if you choose to do euro mounts, and if you shipped by container ship. You can also save money if you had a standard coach seat on your flights. The hunt cost can be reduced if you look for a package deal, I wanted to shoot specific animals, so I was willing to the cost. Hope this helps.

I just got back from a May 2022 hunt in South Africa, so I can give you a good idea of the true cost. I took 8 animals in total during an 8 day hunt. I took Sable, Kudu, Gemsbok, Impala, Springbok, Blesbok, Blue Wildebeest and Zebra. The hunt cost about $14,000, my flight was about $2800, I tipped about $1700 in total. I elected to do 7 pedestal wall mounts and a rug done, the taxidermy was $3000. I elected to fly my heads back instead shipping by container, so it cost about $5400, and the US custom clearance fees and delivery was $ 1350. I will say that you could save on taxidermy if you choose to do euro mounts, and if you shipped by container ship. You can also save money if you had a standard coach seat on your flights. The hunt cost can be reduced if you look for a package deal, I wanted to shoot specific animals, so I was willing to the cost. Hope this helps.
Which airline did you fly and who did the taxidermy? I am headed to SA in May of this year

I originally book this hunt for 2020 and was flying Delta from Atlanta to Johannesburg direct but when Covid was over and the dates for my 2022 hunt occurred, Delta had reduced the number of direct flights and I could not get on one. So I flew Atlanta to Paris, then to Joberg. Freaking 13 hour layover. Then Joberg to London, another 5 hour layover, then back to Atlanta. All said from first flight to final destination to East London SA, I was on planes or at airports for 43 hours . But I didn’t care, I was in Africa. Once I was at Joberg, I flew AirLink to East London, inexpensive and they allow guns to be transported, not all SA airlines do allow them. Please let me know if you need any other info.

Reactions: MTA
I used Joe Regal taxidermy in South Africa. He did amazing work very reasonable price. Had all my mounts and Zebra rug done in in 4 months.

Reactions: MTA
Awesome thanks for the info

I used Joe Regal taxidermy in South Africa. He did amazing work very reasonable price. Had all my mounts and Zebra rug done in in 4 months.
Wow. That is a great turnaround time. We got back August 2nd. I don’t expect our taxidermy until later this year. Which is fine. Gives me time to get the new room built.

If I can say something, be very careful when buying donation hunts, if something is too good to be true, it's usually not! and then outfitters try to make up for their losses with hidden costs.I believe that donation hunt is a bad way to get hunters to hunt with you. If you truly want to donate something, donate cash, put your money where your mouth is. Remember an outfitter can only be responsible for pricing of things he have control of and nothing else. It's only my opinion.

Your experience matches my own. A simple rule of thumb that has worked for me is to take the day rate and trophy fees and double it. Your $14K hunt turned out to cost $28K all-in. When I budgeted each of my 4 safaris the total cost was very close to twice the hunt cost.

Plains Game The Trip (5 or 6 Animals),Shipping, Taxidermy $18,000, DG figure about $25,000 for one Animal. Add $4000 more for Full body Mounts.

Big difference is PG versus DG...even with all the above costs in my experience the cost does not double with a DG but completely agree with a PG hunt.

Your experience matches my own. A simple rule of thumb that has worked for me is to take the day rate and trophy fees and double it. Your $14K hunt turned out to cost $28K all-in. When I budgeted each of my 4 safaris the total cost was very close to twice the hunt cost.
I agree with your point about searching for a package hunt. In my experience, if you can find a package that works for you significant cost savings can happen. I have found what you have...if you want specific animals the cost can go up greatly. Without naming the outfitter, I am going on a hunt in 2024 for 6 great animals some of the larger animals that are in your group for just $4,500. No tips, taxidermy, etc. just the outfitter cost versus your $14,000 yes in SA. When I asked about adding an Eland to this group the extra cost was $2,800 which matches your point.

I've posted this file before but don't remember the thread. One can use this to estimate your overall costs. The point to using this is: non-hunting costs are often equal to the hunting costs. Ie. flight, hotel to overnight (Joberg or Windhoek), tips, taxidermy and shipping.

I have a friend who at a fundraiser split the cost with a buddy for SA bowhunt. The alcohol, doing something good for the organization, and getting a good deal are tough to pass on. I sent him a copy of this file filled out with his other costs. That $1,500 he spent for 5 days and 2 trophies was going to turn into an additional $7-10,000 he didn't calculate that evening (other trophy fees beyond the two animals included, airfare, etc.). It's still a better deal than a single Rocky Mountain elk in the US.

Attachments

• Africa Hunting general budget.zip
    8.5 KB · Views: 83

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeeWedel71

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois