What is the purpose of carrying a knife out in a safari..

Wearing a knife on safari is a matter of "personal grooming really." That sums it up nicely I think. :D
Leatherman Free K-2. One blade, straight and philips screwdrivers and a punch. Small enough to get lost in a pocket but big enough for most anything. Goes everywhere I do except to bed with me and has the tools for most jobs..

Hat, shirt, pants, belt, boots, knife. Every day, safari or not. Will I need it on safari? Most of the time probably not, but it sure came in handy for digging a nasty thorn out that happened to jam itself through the leather of my boot. Tough one. Yes I could use someone else's knife...but I know where mine has been.

I live with a knife on my belt every day because I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. Safari is no different.
Randy,

I’m curious is it a potato peeler that you carry around with you? .

When you get back to my area, you will have to give me a call.

John.

Africa is one of the least strenuous and best supported worldwide hunting. You really don't need a big knife as a client.

By the way, the team members also cut off the tails of the elephants that I shot. I did not need a big knife for this either.
I try to make it the least strenuous that I can, APART FROM ACTUAL STALKING. If I didn't enjoy being waited on hand and foot like they do you in Africa, I would have my head examined. I have had a lifetime of hunting where I did every blasted thing or it didn't get done! Give me the safari life.

I've said before...this is my Safari Knife - a Victorinox Swiss Mini-Champ.

The PH will have a ton of tools and knives in the Bakkie. There's really just no reason to carry anything else that equates to more than personal grooming really.
View attachment 585326

Go as light as possible to keep up with your PH. Make it as easy and simple as possible.
Your picture makes it look big--it is half that size--I bought it sheerly for the orange peeler!

I carry my old Boy Scout jacknife in case all the rifles fail to function. If a cape buffalo charges, I'm prepared for hand-to-horn combat.
Most of those were Camillus--actually good steel and a great edge.

My Swiss Army knife was used to kill an impala, that wouldn't die after 3 shots from elephant rifles!

What's the point of owning a Kalinga, if you don't take it to Africa?

1707181883021.png

I'm planning a small utility knife instead of a trademark hunting knife that I see many of you carry when out hunting. Just want to go light and my philosophy is to carry as less of a load specially around the waist as possible. Already feeling the weight of my 12 pound double on long walks. Am I missing something, please educate me..
Soumya Sarkar, I would never go anywhere without a knife (not even to the bathroom) and whenever Hunting I carry two - a fixed blade 4“-5” and a 3” light folder. It is the most useful tool you can have especially outdoors - especially if something “goes wrong”. If you need to save weight - take off your underwear

In a guided safari in Africa:

To look cool.

Nothing less nothing more
Doubleplay: Very surprised by your comment….almost Spoken with the confidence of someone that never had anything go wrong, willing to be completely cared for by others, never spent an unexpected night in the woods…Nothing less, nothing more.

Occasionally my wife will start to ask me if I have my pocketknife. Then she sighs and say "Oh yeah, you have your pants on.". She knows!!!
ARMYAV8TOR, Do you mean that You “don’t” wear a knife Unless you have your pants on? - talk about UNprepared !

Soumya Sarkar, I would never go anywhere without a knife (not even to the bathroom) and whenever Hunting I carry two - a fixed blade 4“-5” and a 3” light folder. It is the most useful tool you can have especially outdoors - especially if something “goes wrong”. If you need to save weight - take off your underwear
You need a knife to go to the bathroom? Maybe try a laxative. :D

Doubleplay: Very surprised by your comment….almost Spoken with the confidence of someone that never had anything go wrong, willing to be completely cared for by others, never spent an unexpected night in the woods…Nothing less, nothing more.
Do you realize this thread is about carrying a knife on a Safari where you are pampered and cared by a group of dedicated people day and night?
I'm more surprised with your confusion...

Mostly decoration when hunting in Africa. But you will find  many on here who are extremely style conscious African hunters. And that's fine. But not my thing. Over there I don't bring a knife. I have been told to not bother asking to help with gutting or skinning. Not that my PH isn't convinced I can't handle a knife (he's seen plenty of photographic evidence confirming I'm sufficiently skilled), but trackers and skinners have status within the safari operation and the community. They are proud of that status ... and they should be. Show them the respect they deserve and let them do their job.

When hunting on this side of the pond, I'm invariably solo. Knife is of course essential for taking care of a downed animal. But I  never wear it on my belt. I always hunt with a daypack and my knife is in there. When bird hunting, I always have a tiny multi-tool in my coat or upland vest pocket. It's purpose is to remove porcupine quills from my dogs, though I have yet to use it for that ... or anything else.

This is my knife, a 1930s KaBar 4.5" drop point. I also always carry a sharpening kit with ceramic sticks in the pack. Not been a fan of folding knives. Difficult fiddling with unlocking the blade in subzero conditions.
View attachment 585119
My last safari we dropped by the skinning shed the first night to see a big impala ram a young girl client shot. My tracker was busy skinning my identical impala ram. I turned to my PH and asked him where the tracker got that knife. A client gave it to him. "Well, he must not have been impressed with your guy's work. That dinky Schrade Old Timer skinner is a bona fide piece of junk! I otta know. I had one for years. The only good thing I can say is it's very unlikely he'll cut himself badly with it. Doesn't he have something better?" PH just smiled. Back at the lodge he explained. Several clients have given him much better knives but he prefers to be seen struggling with junk. Ensures future donations. Also a junker is less likely to disappear from the skinning shed. Makes sense. The next day I noticed he was wearing a different knife in the field.
Ontario, never considered a knife “fashion” and don’t intend to skin my game on a Guided hunt - but I’ve found a knife the most useful tool when outdoors and am never without one - folder in pocket and/or a fixed blade in pack or on belt (depending). Sometimes things don’t go as planned = Not talking about “fighting off a Leopard”.. Since 3rd grade I carried a pocket knife, always in my suit at work, in my Tux at weddings, it’s a habit but comes in handy and rarely a day that I don’t use it for something. You’re Not a kid and I think have some DIY experience - think you can relate

Kind of what I was thinking! The weight difference between a little folder and a fixed blade hunting knife like we all carry? Has to drag that big patriarchal 12 lb. cannon around? Couldn't you just sand the bluing and finish off to balance it out, and then be able to have something utilitarian?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlejandroM

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.