What is a good Buffalo

Reading this post I almost regret my upcoming buffalo hunt in Limpopo. Yes it's under a fence and the property is 8000 acres. I could have swung for a few more dollars on a "wild hunt" but I also wanted to add more plains game to the hunt. I had to stay within some sort of budget. I hope it goes well and I have to earn him.

johnnyblues there is no reason on earth to "almost regret" your upcoming buffalo hunt. You are going to be hunting with a great PH, in my mind that is 75% of the battle right there. You should be crazy excited, can't sleep excited, over the moon excited about a hunt of a lifetime that you will want to do again every year! There is no such thing as an easy buffalo regardless of where you hunt it. You will work for this buffalo, maybe even curse this buffalo. Go, have a good hunt, work hard, enjoy the moment, make some memories and by all means share you story upon your return. Good luck buddy!

T
johnnyblues there is no reason on earth to "almost regret" your upcoming buffalo hunt. You are going to be hunting with a great PH, in my mind that is 75% of the battle right there. You should be crazy excited, can't sleep excited, over the moon excited about a hunt of a lifetime that you will want to do again every year! There is no such thing as an easy buffalo regardless of where you hunt it. You will work for this buffalo, maybe even curse this buffalo. Go, have a good hunt, work hard, enjoy the moment, make some memories and by all means share you story upon your return. Good luck buddy!
Thank you sir. I'm sure Marius will make me work got it. And I'm fine with that. Believe me I dream about it daily.

Johnny
Don't sweat small crap or others opinions. Show up in the best shape u can. Trust me Marius is in shape and so are the buffs. Best of luck
Jacques

Johnny, I’m leaving early next month (Oct 2023) for a buff hunt in RSA in the Kalahari along with several other species of plains game. It will likely be the only buff hunt of my life. I’ve been to RSA once before and took four different plains game. Those hunts were incredibly awesome and a lifelong dream come true because of the experiences. This year’s hunt will no doubt be even more epic. I’m 62 and probably couldn’t do 15 miles a day for too many days. But to me, it’s all about a working guy getting to hunt the animals I’ve spent a lifetime reading about and the experience that goes with it.

My man. Youre gonna have a great hunt and memories. Don’t let the naysayers get to you.
Reading this post I almost regret my upcoming buffalo hunt in Limpopo. Yes it's under a fence and the property is 8000 acres. I could have swung for a few more dollars on a "wild hunt" but I also wanted to add more plains game to the hunt. I had to stay within some sort of budget. I hope it goes well and I have to earn him.

My son and I had a fine hunt in SA WITH Garry Kelly safaris on 45,000 acres last year. Our hunts were spot and stalk and ambush in the mountains of Kwazulu Natal. My son had two weeks off from work and that amounts to a ten day hunt. We did not see a desirable old Buffalo until day 4 . We stalked until we were 50 yards and Ricky put two shots in him killing him clean.
I am 67 and have a right knee that has been replaced twice and is still not right. I don’t have the pockets for an expensive wild hunt. My son has just two weeks total.
I enjoy South Africa but you have to DO YOUR RESEARCH and the best hunts are not the cheap hunts.
I spent my younger days in zero degree weather chasing elk in the snow on steep mountains in Montana. I will be hunting elk again on Oct 21 if the weather is reasonable!
Some of the posts on the forum talk about hunting as if money is no issue and time is endless.
Enjoy yourself and do what is best for you!

Last edited:
I myself consider this one entry-level (Zebra for scale). If your gun jams, climb the fence. Enjoy!!!
1695136988555.png

Here‘s my take. Two things are required in order to consider a Buffalo a trophy. First is age. No matter how wide a bulls horns are, if he’s still a sub-adult, he isn’t a trophy IMO. Second is that it was taken in fair chase. For me, as long as the animal has ample ability to remain hidden, and if discovered to allude the hunter, then this criteria is met. Reputable operations in SA mostly meet this one. Unfortunately some do not. Of course free-range, wide-open concessions in Zambia, Zimbabwe, Tanzania, Namibia and other places meet this one by default. Assuming these 2 criteria apply, then any animal is a trophy so long as it meets any personal tastes. Scrum caps, broken horns or even hitting that magical 40 inch mark are all icing on the cake.

this thing looks like he clears roads wherever he walks
in that case, I could use it at the farm. i think it was taken or another just like it as there are pics on-line of someone holding the skull/horns...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YvonnePaws

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg