What gear would you never buy again?

Landrovers younger than 60 years!
Hey Kevin...
Spare%20one.jpg

Many years ago my father bought me a replacement stock for my ex-mil Mauser. After 18 mths of back orders, re-orders, refunds etc. I ended up with a Butler Creek synthetic that has created my distain for synthetic stocks ever since. I know they have a place, and I know some are solid, this example is complete rubbish and will never be fitted to said rifle again.

Many years ago my father bought me a replacement stock for my ex-mil Mauser. After 18 mths of back orders, re-orders, refunds etc. I ended up with a Butler Creek synthetic that has created my distain for synthetic stocks ever since. I know they have a place, and I know some are solid, this example is complete rubbish and will never be fitted to said rifle again.
There were various mass production synthetic stocks in the 90s
I had a Ramlime stock on a Mk1 Ruger in .300wm,, no issues with the stock or Pachmyr pad. All secondhand.

Moved it on for "newer"
Should have built something on the action

I have an agenda against Savage rifles. I bought a cheap Savage .25-06 for deer hunting and found myself carrying my Tikka .338 last year when the Savage wouldn't zero for anything. I wound up buying another Tikka this year for deer, which is what I should have done in the first place.
My Savage in 7mm-08 with a Vortex scope has caused me no problems. Shoots better than I do and filled the freezer a couple weeks back. So that's two grumbles I don't go along with. To each their own I suppose.
20210902_155826.jpg

I can't think of a particular product but I will join the masses in denouncing Bass Pro/Redhead. I still want to break down and cry over the fact they bought out Cabela's.

And I will be the voice of dissension. Back when the swine flu was big (2009?) I caught it right before a trip back home to KS to deer hunt. I bought one. Every day I would haul myself into a tree, a fever and chills and hacking. I never had a deer spook when I coughed into it. On the last day I dropped an arrow into the sweet spot of a small buck from the ground while hiking out with my treestand. I have not used the silencer since but would not hesitate if I had a need.

My Savage in 7mm-08 with a Vortex scope has caused me no problems. Shoots better than I do and filled the freezer a couple weeks back. So that's two grumbles I don't go along with. To each their own I suppose. View attachment 425053
That will do it,
Of course you picked a 7mm-08 and that just saves any indecision about the chambering and no debate about what cartridge if you got it right the first time.

Wives 1 - 3. ;)
where do you usually buy your women ? :giggle:

@ cheap chinese optik:
There are exceptions too.
some friends and me are using the Pard NVA Nightsight for the scopes.No 500.- USD.
We are very happy with it and those who tack a night sight for USD 5000.- on their scopes don't shoot one boar more than we do.

I have an agenda against Savage rifles. I bought a cheap Savage .25-06 for deer hunting and found myself carrying my Tikka .338 last year when the Savage wouldn't zero for anything. I wound up buying another Tikka this year for deer, which is what I should have done in the first place.
@chonk34
Very unusual for a Savage. I had a similar problem but solved it with windage adjustable mounts. The factory bases were a bit off straight .
Bob

How cheap? I’ve got a $500 savage .308 with accustock and accutrigger and it is custom rifle accurate with Hornady match ammo.

the stock and trigger seem to be key. If you go for the models without them, I think that’s where you get into trouble.

How cheap? I’ve got a $500 savage .308 with accustock and accutrigger and it is custom rifle accurate with Hornady match ammo.

the stock and trigger seem to be key. If you go for the models without them, I think that’s where you get into trouble.
@sureshot375
I went with the Stevens 200 which is the most basic Savage you can get and it was a less than half inch rifle with no mods and hand loaded 110gn VMax ammo in 270.
That rifle is now a super accurate 35 Whelen.
Bob

What gear would you never buy again?​

/sigh…stuff I don‘t actually NEED? (*does that count?)

Love this thread btw…

I should have heeded the warning about Harbor Freight. Recently the bearing in our washing machine went out and rather than spend $1K on a new one I saw instruction on how to replace it. So I ordered the parts, but also decided rather than beating the old bearing out with a hammer it would be better to use a puller. I think Snap-On makes a good one but for one project I didn't need industrial grade. Harbor Freight had one tht was the right size and the design looked like it would work, so I spent $20 and got it. I put it in place to pull the bearing, about two cranks with a wrench and snap, 2 of the 3 jaws broke completely off. So I beat the bearing out with hammer and punch. The pull is wrapped up and will go in tomorrows (10/4) mail according to the warranty instructions. We'll see if the $10 it costs me to send it will yield a $20 refund, or if I'm just throwing good after bad. If it is, Harbor Freight will be purchasing an unsatisfied customer that has time to be a problem.

I'll have to say that everything that I have purchased from HF is still in working order.

I picked up a $20 4 1/2" grinder around 25 years ago and it is still running, but this last summer I did some industrial cutting with it on a lot of metal and it is starting to show its age. But I'll get another one. The same with impact sockets and a few other specialty tools that I'll only use a couple of times.

I did look at some of their gear and bearing pullers and opted to spend a bunch more bucks and get some that will hold up. But for the most part I have never had a problem with any of the tools that I have bought from them. But I am a picky on what I do buy.

Harbor freight 2” gas powered trash pumps are wonderful. I work at a tire shop occasionally that uses HF tools nearly exclusively with little trouble. They always buy the extended warranty.
There are things I will not buy from there however.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AdrieneRun

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois