What do you do with skins?

Help please. I am hunting with D&Y in Zim this August. How can I use my elephant skin to make a cartidge belt and then get it into the US please? What are the steps and who can do this work please?

thanks!
There are three parts to this:
1. Getting the hide tanned properly.
2. Using the tanned hide to make the belt or whatever.
3. Getting the made item into the USA

On the first in Zimbabwe if you hunt the north use Bromley Taxidermy. In the south use Matabeleland Taxidermy or another in Bulawayo, but forget shipping stuff north to south or visa versa and expecting it to come back.

On the second, there are a few experts in Zim, not many. For belts use Justine de la Roux. For rifle bags and other use Andy Hunter of Harare.

On the third, probably get it all back to the taxidermist who did the tanning, together with unused skins etc, they will know how to export it.

There are three parts to this:
1. Getting the hide tanned properly.
2. Using the tanned hide to make the belt or whatever.
3. Getting the made item into the USA

On the first in Zimbabwe if you hunt the north use Bromley Taxidermy. In the south use Matabeleland Taxidermy or another in Bulawayo, but forget shipping stuff north to south or visa versa and expecting it to come back.

On the second, there are a few experts in Zim, not many. For belts use Justine de la Roux. For rifle bags and other use Andy Hunter of Harare.

On the third, probably get it all back to the taxidermist who did the tanning, together with unused skins etc, they will know how to export it.
Thanks Kevin!

This company will build nice cases out of your hide for a modest price

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-05-21 at 7.16.17 AM Large.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2023-05-21 at 7.16.17 AM Large.jpeg
    162.2 KB · Views: 51
  • Screen Shot 2023-05-21 at 7.16.23 AM Large.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2023-05-21 at 7.16.23 AM Large.jpeg
    187.8 KB · Views: 54
  • Screen Shot 2023-05-21 at 7.16.27 AM Large.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2023-05-21 at 7.16.27 AM Large.jpeg
    220.3 KB · Views: 58
  • Screen Shot 2023-05-21 at 7.16.28 AM Large.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2023-05-21 at 7.16.28 AM Large.jpeg
    202.6 KB · Views: 52
  • Screen Shot 2023-05-21 at 7.16.31 AM Large.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2023-05-21 at 7.16.31 AM Large.jpeg
    200.6 KB · Views: 50
Buck wild, great idea! I have a stair well going to my little space and this might work well in it.
Thanks!
And thanks to everyone for all the excellent info/ideas! Hopefully we can all use some of it!

Sorry to hear Edward is no longer around.

Getting the skin back into the USA might be a problem.

On another site under trophy room photos there’s photos of some leather couches that the owner had made. Of course, it’s not a USA location.

Last edited:
I'm sure buffalo, hippo and ostrich leather are great for making things but what about leather made from any other hides? I had thought warthog leather would be good but someone told me it's thin.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
febixix695

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois