AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
Life Member Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, NRA, Huntin' Fool, DSC and Pope and Young Club
Hunted
USA, Mexico, Canada, RSA, Australia NT, Zimbabwe
985B1A0D-F17A-49C8-95B5-6F0BFBD4DBEC.jpeg
E829917D-FC26-4286-9215-BC11ED61A051.jpeg

Give your opinion on what you think this bear will score and weigh. I’m typically good at judging a bear on the paw but this dude is not of the typical bear proportions that I normally look at. This bastard goes to Krispy Kreme before he hits the neighborhood garbage cans. I’m hoping to ground check him so we can put an end to the guessing!

For those in the habit of naming game that is captured on trail cams.. I think that guy is now officially "Fat Bastard"..

Holy hell that is one round bear!

:)

Idk, it looks at least 400lbs but those ears seem big on the head. Also the back end is higher that the front end…I’m going with 450lb sow.

If you have a trail camera, why not set a barrel or post to use as a reference?

Can't imagine THAT fat that it wouldn't be a problem bear raiding easy human food sources.

First time the camera has caught it and I’m 5 hours away from there.

First time the camera has caught it and I’m 5 hours away from there.

I understand... just something I've learned is to always have references set up in front of cameras. Bears are possibly the worst to judge from a photo, but other things can be as well.

Years ago, a bear was killed in North Carolina in a dog hunt. Bear was so big it couldn't climb a tree, so it just turned at bay. Lots of hog farms in the area and the bear had apparently been eating out of the "dead box," the box where they put hogs that had died on the farm. As I recall that bear was over 700lbs.

That bear hasn’t missed any meals, that’s for sure. My guess is a sow with close to an 18” skull and about 525#.

I understand... just something I've learned is to always have references set up in front of cameras. Bears are possibly the worst to judge from a photo, but other things can be as well.
I agree, we are not allowed to bait here in MT but everywhere I have hunted that it was had drums. I wish the bear was closer to the shop window for reference.

Little fatty on the human food for sure! Not a big old boar in my opinion....

Little fatty on the human food for sure! Not a big old boar in my opinion....
I agree that it is a sow, I’ve already dubbed her “Big Mamma”

View attachment 557400View attachment 557401
Give your opinion on what you think this bear will score and weigh. I’m typically good at judging a bear on the paw but this dude is not of the typical bear proportions that I normally look at. This bastard goes to Krispy Kreme before he hits the neighborhood garbage cans. I’m hoping to ground check him so we can put an end to the guessing!
looks like Yogi has had a successful run on picnic baskets this year.

Thats a big fat sow. If her head was bigger I'd think it was a boar, but pretty dainty muzzle and ears quite large. I bet she'd go 400+ pounds though

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JonathanG

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.