What can be done

Let me lead with a disclaimer that this is likely to be a long post, and I am jumping in without reading most of the previous posts.

The way I see it, this is a cultural and socal issue. I firmly believe that there is a direct (negative) correlation between the shift from a predominantly rural to now urban society, and what is being considered acceptable and normal within America. When the nation was founded, there was a very healthy balance in self reliance (making due, harvesting your own food - both crops and meat, fixing up your land/equipment, making your own goods, etc.), as well as community services to barter and work together for both survival and in building towards a better future. Land was abundant, the population was low, and living off the land was a requirement. This taught valuable lessons to the youth of the day: respect your neighbors, respect the land, and understand the reality of life and death. Young men and women learned how to hunt, fish, gather, help out, and work to EARN what was needed to live. This made for a healthy understanding of values and respect for one another, as well as an appreciation for life and survival.

As we have become urbanized and technology rules our world, few are self reliant. But at the same time, it is not an interpersonal interaction to get the goods or services to survive. A grocery store with self checkout lines, online/automatic bill pay, drop off delivery services, online shopping/ordering for almost anything you want. And all of this can be done without a single face to face interaction. It disconnects you from society, even though you live a few feet away from your neighbors and are surrounded by thousands (and millions) of people. It creates a disconnect from society and the understanding of how to live among a community.

I grew up in present day rural America. Our neighbors were our friends and we look out for each other and our properties, even with the closest neighbors a half mile away. Another mile further to the next ones. We helped them and they helped us.

More specific to the topic at hand, I went to school a high school of about 250 total kids in grades 9-12, over 80% of them with the same type of rural homes like me, and the remaining kids were from towns of under 500 people. I knew effectively every single kid in school, and/or their siblings. And the teachers and their kids. ... within this lifestyle, 90% of the boys (yes, there were and still are only boys and girls at my schools) hunted and worked on farms. We all carried pocket knives. We'd come to school after morning hunts with guns and bows in the vehicles. We'd bring them so we could go hunting right after school got out. We have them just because we hadn't taken them out yet. Hell, even most of the girls either would go shooting or had brothers/dads that hunted for the family. I never once even considered that anyone would use their gun or one out of the unlocked vehicles in the parking lot for a school shooting. No metal detectors. No locked doors. No security personnel. Nothing, nada, zip. And no concern. For reference, I graduated high school in 2006.

I contribute the complete lack of gun violence to the knowledge level and understanding of what guns can and would do. You're not afraid of guns if you understand and can use them. You don't use them for evil when you know what they do when used. They are a tool. They are fun to use as entertainment. Back when a 500 count box of .22LR was $15, my cousin and I would shoot a whole box off the front porch at pine cones, empty cans, or whatever just to waste an afternoon. My Brother and I would throw sticks in the flowing creek and see how many times we could split it with a 22 shot before it got out of sight. We'd shoot hundreds of rounds out of AR15 in an afternoon at damn near anything we could make into a target. And all of this purely as a form of entertainment instead of watching TV, playing video games, or being stuck inside.

I am convinced that introducing guns to youth at am early age is one of the best ways to teach them the importance of safe handling. The 10 commandments of Gun Safety should be taught like the alphabet. Hunter Safety should be like taking Drivers Education. I'll say it again, if you understand guns, you're not afraid of them and far less likely to use them for evil. It's those that are against/afraid of guns that lead the youth to believe guns are evil; and when that kid decides to do something evil, he will use the evil weapon. And the so-called "automatic assault military rifles" are the most evil, especially when used with mega-killing power ultra high capacity "clips" for the ultimate device to take our their anger.

I'm going to end here, because I have a books worth of thoughts on this subject, but would be preaching to the choir on this forum. I just wish we could get the anti's to open their eyes and see logic. But they won't, so it's a fight must wage. I heard it today, through several outlets "why can't gun owners admit there need to be more/tougher laws so this can't happen." Not one of them said "I wonder if the people are the problem". And I'm getting sick and tired of it.

This doesn't occur on any sort of regular basis in any other country; and if it does, they make sure it never happens again.

The guns and the gun culture in this country are the problem, period. The sunsetting of the assault weapon ban 20 years ago directly has led to this. So many gun owners have been radicalized. The 2nd amendment has been so twisted around the past 30 years and exists today to give political cover to insurrectionists who can not accept the outcomes of free and fair elections.

Nothing was done the 1st time 20 kids were mowed down and nothing will happen this time...or the next time. 5% of the population are holding the other 95% hostage.

F the 2nd Amendment
F the NRA
F assault weapons
F the manufacturers who make and market them
F those who want to protect embryos and not school childen

I am not debating this and I certainly don't give a damn what anyone else thinks of this post.

Thoughts and prayers
You put it out there debate or not.

First and foremost anyone that doesn't have any compassion for this situation is not human.

We have millions of what you want to call "assault weapons", they are just rifles and they do not kill anyone. It is the person the pulls the trigger that kills the person/people. You have the right to give up every gun you have, cut them in pieces, burn them whatever you want. It is not your right to tell everyone else how and what they should use to can protect their loved ones.

Knowing people personally, that build these rifles. They are good people with solid values. Again they did not pull the trigger.

The real question is, where does it stop? Drunk driving kills more innocent people than mass shootings, it 100 % illegal should we ban alcohol (we did that and you seen the mess it made). 9/11 thousands of our brothers and sisters died, do we ban planes? France man uses a van to kill 81 people, do we ban vans?

Your view of no "assault weapons", let's look at that. We ban them, now some grabs a pump shot gun. Now we ban those, what's next? Bad people that want to do bad things will find away. If you are willing to give up that right to protect your love ones that is a call you make. Would rather have every option at my disposal to end any altercation that would put my family in harms way. People have millions of these rifles and they don't kill people.

The 2nd Amendment is critical, it is one of they main reasons we as a country have remained free as long as we have. Imagine if the Ukraine bs were to happen over here? The argument that citizens should not have the same weapons as the military. When the 2nd Amendment was written citizens did have the same weapons as the military, that was the whole point. We are lucky that we have never had to use it in that capacity to date. If you think it can never happen, ask Japan why they did not invade our mainland.

You are 100% correct in the fact we are not doing enough, some not all teachers should be armed. Why should we give teachers training to help GSV and not give them access to the tools that would protect our kids? Why do politicians get armed guards and the schools don't? We have to make the schools safe, the only way to do that is to ensure they are not an easy target for sick people.

And as far as people's mindset, let get real about this. American society cares more about animals than human life. NFL players slap on the wrist for beating a wife or girlfriend. Fight dogs and people come out of the woodwork to burn them at the stake. Lack of repercussions for actions, kids damn near get away with anything these day, mortality is going out the window. We can also talk about video games, what is that doing to our youth? Look at the big money makers, COD. You can't convince me that doesn't alter a young minds perception of death.

I will leave this here

My cousin and his friends were come home from a fishing trip. It was weekend long fishing/camping trip. They did not know that in that period of time a riot was taking place. This was Miami, they were driving along when they came across an oil slick in the road. A dumpster was blocking the road. They could not stop, they slammed into the dumpster. A mob of people pulled them out beating them, doing worse things to them, them killing them. The mob through their bodies at the paramedics when they were done with them. If my cousin had and AR style rifle in the truck with them, would things have turned out differently? I can't answer that, I can say it would have given that group of young men a fighting chance.

Benjamin Franklin -

“Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”​

Let me lead with a disclaimer that this is likely to be a long post, and I am jumping in without reading most of the previous posts.

The way I see it, this is a cultural and socal issue. I firmly believe that there is a direct (negative) correlation between the shift from a predominantly rural to now urban society, and what is being considered acceptable and normal within America. When the nation was founded, there was a very healthy balance in self reliance (making due, harvesting your own food - both crops and meat, fixing up your land/equipment, making your own goods, etc.), as well as community services to barter and work together for both survival and in building towards a better future. Land was abundant, the population was low, and living off the land was a requirement. This taught valuable lessons to the youth of the day: respect your neighbors, respect the land, and understand the reality of life and death. Young men and women learned how to hunt, fish, gather, help out, and work to EARN what was needed to live. This made for a healthy understanding of values and respect for one another, as well as an appreciation for life and survival.

As we have become urbanized and technology rules our world, few are self reliant. But at the same time, it is not an interpersonal interaction to get the goods or services to survive. A grocery store with self checkout lines, online/automatic bill pay, drop off delivery services, online shopping/ordering for almost anything you want. And all of this can be done without a single face to face interaction. It disconnects you from society, even though you live a few feet away from your neighbors and are surrounded by thousands (and millions) of people. It creates a disconnect from society and the understanding of how to live among a community.

I grew up in present day rural America. Our neighbors were our friends and we look out for each other and our properties, even with the closest neighbors a half mile away. Another mile further to the next ones. We helped them and they helped us.

More specific to the topic at hand, I went to school a high school of about 250 total kids in grades 9-12, over 80% of them with the same type of rural homes like me, and the remaining kids were from towns of under 500 people. I knew effectively every single kid in school, and/or their siblings. And the teachers and their kids. ... within this lifestyle, 90% of the boys (yes, there were and still are only boys and girls at my schools) hunted and worked on farms. We all carried pocket knives. We'd come to school after morning hunts with guns and bows in the vehicles. We'd bring them so we could go hunting right after school got out. We have them just because we hadn't taken them out yet. Hell, even most of the girls either would go shooting or had brothers/dads that hunted for the family. I never once even considered that anyone would use their gun or one out of the unlocked vehicles in the parking lot for a school shooting. No metal detectors. No locked doors. No security personnel. Nothing, nada, zip. And no concern. For reference, I graduated high school in 2006.

I contribute the complete lack of gun violence to the knowledge level and understanding of what guns can and would do. You're not afraid of guns if you understand and can use them. You don't use them for evil when you know what they do when used. They are a tool. They are fun to use as entertainment. Back when a 500 count box of .22LR was $15, my cousin and I would shoot a whole box off the front porch at pine cones, empty cans, or whatever just to waste an afternoon. My Brother and I would throw sticks in the flowing creek and see how many times we could split it with a 22 shot before it got out of sight. We'd shoot hundreds of rounds out of AR15 in an afternoon at damn near anything we could make into a target. And all of this purely as a form of entertainment instead of watching TV, playing video games, or being stuck inside.

I am convinced that introducing guns to youth at am early age is one of the best ways to teach them the importance of safe handling. The 10 commandments of Gun Safety should be taught like the alphabet. Hunter Safety should be like taking Drivers Education. I'll say it again, if you understand guns, you're not afraid of them and far less likely to use them for evil. It's those that are against/afraid of guns that lead the youth to believe guns are evil; and when that kid decides to do something evil, he will use the evil weapon. And the so-called "automatic assault military rifles" are the most evil, especially when used with mega-killing power ultra high capacity "clips" for the ultimate device to take our their anger.

I'm going to end here, because I have a books worth of thoughts on this subject, but would be preaching to the choir on this forum. I just wish we could get the anti's to open their eyes and see logic. But they won't, so it's a fight must wage. I heard it today, through several outlets "why can't gun owners admit there need to be more/tougher laws so this can't happen." Not one of them said "I wonder if the people are the problem". And I'm getting sick and tired of it.
Well said and couldn’t agree more!

Al
I read through several and skimmed over the rest and it's pretty much the same theme: mental health, education, gun control controversy, comparing back then to here and now, etc., etc.

The problem is not only all these same themes, but the two biggest problems we (the U.S.) has regarding this problem:

1. Mainstream Media! Constantly treating these dirt bags as infamous heroes. MSM gives these dirt bags way more attention than the 15 seconds they give to those doing something good helping their community. Not just these mass murderers, but every type of criminal seems to be MSM's hero.

When these POS scumbags no longer receive their fame it would go a long ways to stemming this type of crap.

2. Our (again the US) justice system is a very horrible joke when it comes to delivering equal and appropriate punishment for violent crimes, and repeat offenders of "petty crimes" [only petty crimes because law enforcement, lawyers, judges and politicians are not the victim(s). When they become a criminal's victim only then does the "petty crime" become more important requiring a much more harsher penalty.]

Bring back chain gangs, make prisons prisons a place nobody wants to call home; instead of these resorts jails, prisons, and "club feds". Reinstate the death penalty and start executing repeat/non reformed criminals, murderers, embezzlers, scammers, corrupt politicians, all drug related criminals from drug users to the growers/manufacturers of "killer" drugs to include "big pharma" executives (especially those knowingly and willfully selling/trading/dispensing and shipping out dated/expired drugs to foreign countries) crime would drop immensely and immediately.

There is a third solution to reducing crime and violence...start making parents (of minors) fully accountable/responsible for their child's/children's criminal behavior. Sentence the adult parent(s)/legal guardian(s) as if the parent(s)/legal guardian(s) committed the crime. IMO this would definitely have a major impact on crime because law bidding parent(s)/legal guardian (s) will take a more proactive interest in their child/children to avoid going to jail/prison or facing execution themselves for their offspring ('s)(s") criminal behavior.

I'll end my rant here. It just burns me up how parents pacify their child or children with "toys" (i.e. toys, TVs, computer games, etc) rather than spend quality time with their child or children until the underage daughter becomes pregnant or the child wants to become a full participant member of the alphabet organization and even then some parents still don't care about child.
Also well stated!

I very rarely comment or reply to issues like this online but sometimes you just have to get off your butt and stand up and do the right thing.

I will add one more thing that no one wants to talk about or address. That is Christians. First off I am a Christian and attend a small country church.

Now for the problem. Christians or so called Christians and churches have been preaching hot and heavy for many years on excepting everyone and everything. I encounter many people on a daily basis and most of them call themselves Christians but are lost. I have many family members that claim to be Christians but are lost. Unfortunately a lot of people are very lost. They have no real idea who they are. Where they are going in life. Where they came from and who or what a real family looks like. This is a break down in the family, churches and schools.

Right and wrong (good and evil) have been around since the beginning of time. What’s right and wrong have not changed since the beginning of time. But what we except (the gray area) as right and wrong in today’s world is a whole different story. Anything goes with no consequences or taking responsibility for your own actions.

Church’s also have been preaching the meek and mild bull crap and not heaven and hell.

This is a country founded and based on Christianity and when we move away from those teachings, beliefs and principles we lose our way. Real Christians and real Americans need to grow a set of balls and stand up for God, raise a family right and take this country back. We have a very real evil element in our country and in the world. It needs to be snuffed out. Raise wolves not sheep.

At the end of the day God is still in control!

Thanks

In states like mine it's cold. Schools are buildings. Easy to secure. One entrance. Can be locked down.

Texas is warm. Schools are often spread out over a large piece of property. A dozen small buildings mixed between playgrounds, fields and parking. Schools like that are hard to secure. They need manned security.

In our stupid country we can borrow $40,000,000,000 from China to send arms to Ukraine but we can't put an armed police officer at every school.

There is a armed sherrif deputy at my kids schools. In other areas the left works constantly to get police out of schools so they don't intimidate the drug addict children.
@RTG
STUFF THE DRUG ADDICTED CHILDREN BEING intimidated. Put the fear of God into the little shits instead of pandering to them.
Oh johnny I know you have had a hard life and drugs ease your pain is their anything I c a n do for you approach.
Or a dose of reality. Johnny those drugs are screwing your brain. The world owes you nothing. Your not the only one that has a shit life. Drugs will only get you jail time and teach you all about anal see in the showers.
Your choice son get help or get used to watching your back while you shower.

STUFF THE DRUG ADDICTED CHILDREN BEING intimidated. Put the fear of God into the little shits instead of pandering to them.
Oh johnny I know you have had a hard life and drugs ease your pain is their anything I c a n do for you approach.
Or a dose of reality. Johnny those drugs are screwing your brain. The world owes you nothing. Your not the only one that has a shit life. Drugs will only get you jail time and teach you all about anal see in the showers.
Your choice son get help or get used to watching your back while you shower.
Agree!

This doesn't occur on any sort of regular basis in any other country; and if it does, they make sure it never happens again.

The guns and the gun culture in this country are the problem, period. The sunsetting of the assault weapon ban 20 years ago directly has led to this. So many gun owners have been radicalized. The 2nd amendment has been so twisted around the past 30 years and exists today to give political cover to insurrectionists who can not accept the outcomes of free and fair elections.

Nothing was done the 1st time 20 kids were mowed down and nothing will happen this time...or the next time. 5% of the population are holding the other 95% hostage.

F the 2nd Amendment
F the NRA
F assault weapons
F the manufacturers who make and market them
F those who want to protect embryos and not school childen

I am not debating this and I certainly don't give a damn what anyone else thinks of this post.

Thoughts and prayers

Maybe you should find a new home with your Democrat commie LGBT alphabet buddies. You might find something in common with them?

The flip side to this, when I was a kid and messed up. I remember they neighbor grabbing me by the arm and taking me to my parents. He gave me an ear full on the way there. Then my parents beat my ass and punished me for 2 weeks.

The offense, playing with fire in the woods. Not a big one and I put it out as fast as I started it. It was a lesson that I was taught.

Try that today, how many neighbors would do that? Better yet how many parents would allow someone to do that to their little Timmy? How many would punish their child much less beat them?

The world has changed a lot in 35 years, I'm not real excited to see where it goes in the next 35.

We may need more copin, the police need to do ne more active. People need to be more watchful I bet someone saw him or he may have said something and no one gave him attention.

For the member who said "F the 2nd Amendment", , @curtism1234 , when will you turn in your guns to your local PD? You have clearly relinquished your acceptance of that right, so please act on your word and follow thru. Bolt actions weren't there in 1787 either, so no exceptions.

For the topic of this thread, I fully support funding and programs to aid and combat mental health issues and the violence created from them. I come from a blue family and hear the stories daily of the repeat mental illness offenders walking away to commit more offenses, typically more violent each time.

In answer to a previous post, forget who it was that asked how the shooter got in?
Sadly the door was unlocked. He walked in and started shooting. Fail.
The report i heard was that a lockdown protocol was in writing, but it wasn't being followed nor enforced.

We may need more copin, the police need to do ne more active. People need to be more watchful I bet someone saw him or he may have said something and no one gave him attention.

It's a cycle. A bad criminal cycle. Police often create criminals, because they can. Police arrest criminals, then speak up for or release them when the criminal informs on another criminal.

When a criminal does go to trial, judges release the criminal back into society willfully and knowingly the criminal will be arrested again and again for the same or more vicious crimes.

Lawyers play politics using criminals as pawns to further their own agenda up the judicial ladder though plea deals.

Money does buy happiness for criminals that can pay off law enforcement, lawyers, and judges not to arrest or at least reduce the charge/ penalty for their crime to the lightest punishment, which is no punishment.

Judges failing to sentence criminals to the maximum most harshish punishment possible for the crime committed is the primary factor for demoralizing and corruption of law enforcement officers.

It's called the "catch and release": law enforcement officer catch the criminal- the judge releases the criminal.

Simply because the "money criminal" pays their way out of doing jail/prison time and provides additional revenue: bribery, increased statistical numbers for tax(payer) funding.

This type of system is why those driving expensive sports cars are more apt to get pulled over and charged for speeding.

And why a person getting a first time speeding ticket driving 1 mile over the speed limit is treated more as a violent criminal, because they are not considered to be a "money criminal".

Are more law enforcement officers needed? No.

Are more laws needed? No!

What is needed is:

Stop the "catch and release"
Do away with the coddling criminals
Mandatory prosecution and punishment of repeat and violent criminals
Full Enforcement of laws that already exist.

Re: The Good Guys with guns question:

Sadly this may be going sour today. Many stories and videos of the local LE standing around outside while the perp was in the school for close to an hour before the BP Tactical got there and went in to take him out.
If this is accurate, its going to get real ugly real quick.

How did this <21 y/o "loco monstruo" come to illegally obtain and carry a pistol? Again, there are others at fault here, too! (CT: Mother purchased kid guns to appease him; FL: Gov't. failure to report info. to puff up stats in order to gain school funding. Prior church shooter in TX shot by neighbor-Kudos!, etc.) That + mental health issues going untreated. Most come down to the failure of proper PARENTING. Statistics say that when 1+ guns are sold per capita, there will be a few mishaps...'Quite surprised a teacher in TX wasn't packing. 'Been to (stayed, fueled-up, shopped, ate in) Uvalde many times. Nice place. The big shopping district for those ranchers/hunters in the S. Hill Country/N. Brush Country. LOVE The Oasis.

Sadly this may be going sour today. Many stories and videos of the local LE standing around outside while the perp was in the school for close to an hour before the BP Tactical got there and went in to take him out.
If this is accurate, its going to get real ugly real quick.

Agreed, if true it’s horrible. How could you not go in?

Oh really. I happen to live in the state where the last 20 kids were "mowed down" Guess what ? They completely banned ar15s. They also made it where you need to be 21 to buy a firearm as well as needing a permit to do so. You need a permit for ammo as well. Those pesky "ghost guns"? Banned. We have strict storage laws. So strict that if you have firearms in a safe which is LOCKED and I illegally gain access to those firearms - you will be held liable . I can not possess a handgun on the same state land where I deer hunt with a shotgun. I can go on for a while about all of those fancy gun laws which trickled down from those events in 2012.

BUT, I can also link news reports of at least 5 shootings in the last week,1 in the last 24 hours in my state. Please tell me at what point those laws will actually start working.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross