warthog

AH member
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI NRA
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, Manitoba, Quebec, Sask., British Columbia, and over the US
My son would like to take a porcupine and a honeybadger 4 lifesize mounts.What bullet do you think would do least hide damage,375 ruger 300 solid or 300 wsm 165 barnes tsx. Or should I plan on taking a smaller rifle just 4 these 2? thanks

Great question warthog. I have wrestled with the same dilemma. I've decided to go with .375 cal 300 gr. Hornady DGS for the small stuff. If that doesn't work as planned my PH has a .300 Blackout and a .22LR to use.

Between those, I would go with the solid.

As Idaram just mentioned, see what your PH has. He may have something small and better. .22, 22 Hornet, 223 solids, etc.

Another vote for ask your PH.

I'd also go with a solid though for any of the little guys. Perfect world I would also think that a shotgun would be a good option for the porcupine in particular.

Forget about solids on Porcupine, they blow up like you put a detonator up their exhaust!!! Use a .22LR or .22 Mag with a lead bullet. As for the Honey Badger use a solid by all means but stay away from bone and hit it behind the shoulder if you can.

Thanks for the replies, just trying to stay away from bringing another rifle along. Doesn't sound like there is anything small available in camp.

If you reload, you might consider a reduced load for the solid. As Royal mentioned, is there a shotgun in camp.

@warthog the problem with porcupine is that you shoot them at pretty close range at night for some reason they react like a water filled bottle when shot with a high power rifle. We have tried solids and FMJ bullets with the same result, blow up.
Don't know what kind of shape your son is in or how old he is, but if all else fails he can always hunt them the way we use to as kids, use a knopkierrie:A Bonk:It will be a hunt he never forgets!!
A 9mm hand gun also works pretty well,maybe your PH has one of those?

try berger vld target projectiles in the 300, pop ,pop neat little holes.
wouldn't use the hunting projectiles on the small stuff , but the target stuff is hard

@warthog the problem with porcupine is that you shoot them at pretty close range at night for some reason they react like a water filled bottle when shot with a high power rifle. We have tried solids and FMJ bullets with the same result, blow up.
Don't know what kind of shape your son is in or how old he is, but if all else fails he can always hunt them the way we use to as kids, use a knopkierrie:A Bonk:It will be a hunt he never forgets!!
A 9mm hand gun also works pretty well,maybe your PH has one of those?
The knobkierrie sounds pretty good, have to get the video camera tuned up.

The knobkierrie sounds pretty good, have to get the video camera tuned up.

I can just see the anti's reaction to using a knobkierrie - kind of like using a club on seals... Perhaps consider how you post that video!!!

I vote for a .22LR or hornet...

Ado

My son would like to take a porcupine and a honeybadger 4 lifesize mounts.What bullet do you think would do least hide damage,375 ruger 300 solid or 300 wsm 165 barnes tsx. Or should I plan on taking a smaller rifle just 4 these 2? thanks
Just use monolithic solids...it'll work fine!

@Ole Bally sorry but can't disagree with you more, unless you only want quills for your porcupine collection. 90% of the time does the bullet,any bullet from a medium caliber rifle upward, not only blow them to bits, due to the angle of the shot the bullet also tends to hit the ground under said porcupine. Depending on the terrain this creates even more damage to the cape eg. Hit a rock under that porcupine and you will pick up your cape in 20sq feet. Just my experience with hunting them.

@ hunthardsafaris! True! Porcupines are very soft! I didn't focus on the second part of his question! He should borrow a .22 for it from his PH / outfitter!

If he can handle a 375, then use solids to not ruin the trophy. Otherwise a .223 is a fantastic small animal caliber.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheAngloPrussian

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.