What bullet puller do you love

Hornedfrogbbq

Gold supporter
AH elite
Joined
Mar 8, 2022
Messages
1,099
Reaction score
1,613
Media
1
What bullet puller (hammer or die set) do you love for the big bores. I'd like to use it in .450ne, .470ne and. 500ne.
 
I dont love any of them...If I using a bullet puller its usually because I F*cked Up....

When I need one I use the simple RCBS hammer style.

Some guys like to the die style pullers...

I try to stay away from using any of them.....
 
I dont love any of them...If I using a bullet puller its usually because I F*cked Up....

When I need one I use the simple RCBS hammer style.

Some guys like to the die style pullers...

I try to stay away from using any of them.....
I agree but as a complete novice reloader, I am sure I will make some mistakes.

Will the rcbs be long enough to handle a 3.25in 450ne?
 
I have made some mistakes too. I have ruined an RCBS hammer bullet puller. The handle bends each time I use it. I now use the Hornady collet bullet puller system. Just for an example, I was working up loads for a .416 Rem. Magnum. The beginning load in this rifle with 400 grain bullets pushed the bullets to 2400 fps. That is where I wanted to finish. These are Barnes 400 TSX bullets. So, why waste the powder and the bullets? I then went home and pulled the bullets and started over with less powder. I saved the RL 15 and started over with a lighter load. When working up a new load, I don't mind the marks on the bullets since I am really looking for muzzle velocity and barrel break in on a new rifle. By the way, I have heard of a round going off in the kinetic hammer of some brand. Maybe there are problems with the Hornady system of which I am not aware.
 
I have three, the RCBS collet puller, the hammer inertia type and the Grip-N-Pull. Use depends on neck tension, bullet and powder cost and what usage for the reclaimed components.
 
I have three, the RCBS collet puller, the hammer inertia type and the Grip-N-Pull. Use depends on neck tension, bullet and powder cost and what usage for the reclaimed components.
Can you tell me a typical scenario for each?
 
Can you tell me a typical scenario for each?
Grip-n-Pull for bullets being used for trigger time, practice, steel.
Collet for bullets seated with light neck tension or lubed necks, saving everything.
Inertia/hammer for crimped or ammo given to me. Just saving the brass.
 
I've used both hammer and collet-type pullers. Hate 'em both.
For the last 25 years I've been putting the loaded round in the shell holder, running it up through the empty die hole in the bench press, grabbing the bullet with plyers-type wire strippers, then backing the ctg. down. The plyers I have lay flat across the top of the press. Out comes the bullet. The only marks on the bullet are tiny and do not effect bullet flight or action, even on .172 calibers.
This is fast and easy to do.
Some people use side cutters but theu do mare and distort the bullet.
Daryl
 
These take about 10 minutes to make and work great for big NE or bore rifle rounds. Just wack it across a rubber coated dumbell, crosstie, or similar.
IMG_2404.jpeg
IMG_2402.jpeg
 
RCBS collet puller, the hammer inertia type even though I have never used the hammer. RCBS works well once I have figured out where to grip the bullet using the collet. Usually works pretty well after few trial and errors. I dont really pay much attention on the bullet marks as they are being used for practice/load development.
 
I've used both hammer and collet-type pullers. Hate 'em both.
For the last 25 years I've been putting the loaded round in the shell holder, running it up through the empty die hole in the bench press, grabbing the bullet with plyers-type wire strippers, then backing the ctg. down. The plyers I have lay flat across the top of the press. Out comes the bullet. The only marks on the bullet are tiny and do not effect bullet flight or action, even on .172 calibers.
This is fast and easy to do.
Some people use side cutters but theu do mare and distort the bullet.
Daryl
I use the Hornady collet die for “normal” calibers. For my .577, I run the round up through empty die hole, and use a large pair of end cutters to grip the bullet and use the press to back it out, similar to Daryl.
 
The use of the wire strippers with the little cuttouts doesn't hurt the bullets and is so quick. If grabbing them in the top of a crimp cannelure, you can't tell a pulled bullet from a new one.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,300
Messages
1,572,083
Members
169,491
Latest member
citydancecorpsyouth
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Andrew62 wrote on JBonw762's profile.
Hello, I asked the question I did simply to bump it to the top for you. I have a 416 Taylor or I would be very interested in it! It's a real beauty!
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top