Mark Biggerstaff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Need help from the bow hunters that have gone to Africa. What bow case do you use and have found the best for travel? Do you pack your arrows in case also or in separate case. Planning my second trip over in 2019 and taking my bow this time. Thanks for any help.

I use the Americase. It has arrow slots on the lid. I haven’t had a problem yet. Not sure what bow you have but I would call or email them and let them know the outside cam to cam length so you get the proper case.

I use the Americase. It has arrow slots on the lid. I haven’t had a problem yet. Not sure what bow you have but I would call or email them and let them know the outside cam to cam length so you get the proper case.

IMG_2086.JPG

I have used an SKB i series double bow case to Namibia in 2016 and South Africa this year. Highly suggest it. I just used a poster tube for the arrows. It's built to survive with that bow intact. Check inside dimensions, but I bet it has plenty of space for your bow, mine is an Athens Afflixtion that is 35" axle to axle.

I have a different take on cases. I bought cheap Plano Compact bow cases for my wife and I and after 17 African hunts I've had no problem. I take care that I pad everything with extra clothes and make sure the case is packed full. The cases that I've seen that were ruined by inept baggage personnel were either driven over or something else catastrophic that would have ruined the bow inside no matter what case you were using.

I have a different take on cases. I bought cheap Plano Compact bow cases for my wife and I and after 17 African hunts I've had no problem. I take care that I pad everything with extra clothes and make sure the case is packed full. The cases that I've seen that were ruined by inept baggage personnel were either driven over or something else catastrophic that would have ruined the bow inside no matter what case you were using.
I totally agree with Jeff . I used a Plano Pillar bow case and had no issues . Pack it well with extra clothing ... double locks and I also ran a wire tie threw the handle and arrows in a poster tube and broad heads and field tips in a smaller plano box that was taped shut .
Good luck and play safe !
Glen

0915181507a.jpg
Need help from the bow hunters that have gone to Africa. What bow case do you use and have found the best for travel? Do you pack your arrows in case also or in separate case. Planning my second trip over in 2019 and taking my bow this time. Thanks for any help.
We just got back. We flew through Atlanta and had to pick up our bows in the gun locker at customs. The custom agent noticed that my Plano airline bowcase had a broken foot and lock. This was our 3rd trip. I think that I replaced the lock the first trip also. The bow had no problems inside of the case. I did have broken arrows when I used the built in arrow holder. I switched to a tube holder and velcroed it to the top and didn't have any problems this trip.
attachThumb251628
My husband has the SKB bowcase. His case was fine, just a few scratches, but somehow his broadhead case was opened. It was fine in Atlanta. We haven't tracked down how it got open, but Delta is taking care of a new string on it, which we replaced last month just before we left. Our bowcases took a 5 day road trip from Atlanta. We finally got them almost a week later. This is what it looked like when it got home.
0920181946.jpg
Screenshot_2018-09-16-04-46-39.png

I would go with the SKB case. Arrow tube and a tsa locked broadhead case.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use an SKB double bow case. I bring a Mathews Monster Safari, Mathews Halon and I also pack two arrow tubes in the case, a couple releases and all my broadheads (in their original packages). I have had zero issues. I attach two TSA locks to the case - one on each corner along the side the opens.

Thanks for all the replies. I decided to go with the SKB Pro Series. This is stock photo from SKB. Think it will work for what I want.
IMG_2803.jpg

I use a older model SKB 60 in. long double rifle case ( similar to: https://www.skbcases.com/sports/sku.php?cat=9&pid=205). It's long enough to pack in cameras, optics, etc. Wide enough that I can bundle the arrows and pack them in with the bow and deep enough that I can pack a 2nd bow or take down an xbow and put it in there. I also have never had to pick it up from the rifle pile. It usually ends up in the oversize baggage.

Hello Mark,

In 6 trips over to Africa and several more domestic flights in between, I have used an SKB double bow case. It held up pretty well until they finally found a way to bust the carrying handle off of it and crack one of the corners on the second to last trip to RSA.... Not sure how that was accomplished because SKB's are pretty tough cases, but they found a way...

Anyway, for a straight up bow case, the SKB is hard to beat, but you may want to also consider what I have used with great satisfaction on my last bow hunt to SD. I packed my bow in the bottom compartment of a hard-sided, Bass Pro (Redhead brand) rolling duffel. One of my bow hunting clients recommended these duffels to me, and he has used them exclusively on his last 3 trips to Africa... I placed a 2" thick cut out of foam rubber in the bottom, and with clothing over the top so the bow is well-protected. And, the best part is that since it looks like standard luggage it does not get side-tracked to the SAPS office or the office where oversize luggage is routed. I am definitely using the duffel for my next African hunt. Just something else to think about as an option....

You can pack your arrow case and broadheads right in the same bag. Bow & arrow is regarded as sports equipment by the airlines and not a firearm.

rolling duffel.jpg

Last edited:
I don't think Bass Pro carries those bags any longer.

I don't think Bass Pro carries those bags any longer.

I just bought one for my wife for our upcoming trip to NZ a month or so ago... Even if Bass Pro is not making them anymore, Cabelas and a dozen or so other manufacturers make a very similar bag. Google hard-sided rolling duffel and your choices are unlimited...

SKB single bow case, and put arrows inside, and zip tie your cables, so it can't be drawn. Just use painters tape or something to tape your arrows into the slots, because they will not be gentle on your case. We used neon zip ties in the extra lock hasps, and on the way to RSA they never opened our cases. They were opened in Atlanta after we picked them up in the gun room & were rechecking our bags. We just dropped them with the TSA agent and ran because we had a flight to catch.

The neon zip ties are the way to go with zip tying your gear (case lock hasps & bow strings & cables). TSA will have black zip ties, but they don't have neon ones, so you'll know if they've messed with your stuff without having to closely inspect.

I have a older model SKB double bow case. Works great last trip airlines busted the latch off. I always have electrical tape with me on all my hunting trips. Just wrapped bow case a few times worked perfect. Skb also sent me a new lock great customer service. I would for sure take sight off and either bring it on carry on or bubble wrap it. I also made a arrow tube out of 3inch pvc.

I purchased an SKB double bow case for my first trip since my buddy was coming with me. Made it from Denver to London, Johannesburg and finally to Windhoek. Not even a scratch.

The new bow case by Elevation look like it might be the perfect travel case!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Charlessdiuse

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg